Why become a member? ×

DiMarzio DP120 BK pickup Wal lookalike?

uk_lefty

I'm looking for opinion on this DiMarzio pickup. I've got a PJ bitsa with a bit of an untidy P rout, which is a shame because I've got a DiMarzio model P in there that sounds AMAZING. However, I think getting a big square pup might help cover the rout error and now that I adore DiMarzio pups thought this could be a good option.... I'd love to hear any first hand experience. It would be in the P position with a DiMarzio model J in the bridge position... Though tbh I hardly use that because the Model P is so, so good! 

The Model One has narrow string spacing. In the P position it might be slightly too wide. 

I had one in the neck position on an Aria SB Elite and whilst the stings were wider than the pole pieces it worked ok. But the P position might push it just too far.

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bartelby said:

The Model One has narrow string spacing. In the P position it might be slightly too wide. 

I had one in the neck position on an Aria SB Elite and whilst the stings were wider than the pole pieces it worked ok. But the P position might push it just too far.

Thanks. I think they do one with wider string spacing (a 145 they call it) which is the same pup but broader... 

5 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Thanks. I think they do one with wider string spacing (a 145 they call it) which is the same pup but broader... 

I didn't see that on the website, thought they'd discontinued it. If it's wider then you should be ok with that.

EDIT: Just found a technical drawing. the DP145 has a total string spacing of 2". At the P position my Fender is 2.125" (2" at the neck position)

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Looking like this isn't going to work... Back to the drawing board! 

The string spacing on the DP120 is 1.875" and my Aria, at the neck, is 2". The 1/8" didn't really make a difference. The E and G were only 1/16" outside the poles, same as the DP145 in the P position. You should be ok. 

23 hours ago, JPJ said:

Based on what I’ve been reading in the Build Diary’s section, I’d be tempted to throw a Sims Super-Quad in there for the best of all worlds solution.

Yeah but at £200 or £250 for the pickup its a big outlay to stick in a Bitsa. I do like the look of them, bass centre put an ad on the back of bass magazine recently, P style bass with 2x Sims in it. Looked an absolute beast, but won't be cheap. 

• 6 months later...
On 14/08/2021 at 23:15, smarthound said:

Why not leave your Model P in there and conceal the rout error with a pickup ring?

Admittedly it's right-handed but chances are you'd just need to flip it and countersink the holes that side.

1990.jpg.f470a1e23969b7c220c049b39b126a85.jpg

Does anyone know where one can get a pickup ring like this? 

49 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Does anyone know where one can get a pickup ring like this? 

Only if you're fond of skulls!

image.png.878b37d3e0dae88e78525b97808acf33.png

A few years back you could find P or J surrounds on AllParts or WD. A bit disappointing how limited the selection of parts is these days.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I got mine from gigink and they even sent me a spare in mirror finish. Let me know if interested. 

IMG20220225104700.jpg

Ah, that's a great idea! :) Thank you!

Thank you for the offer, I'm only looking for a ring or two but in black. But I can easily create a PDF of what I want and get someone like gigink to cut it for me in black acrylic or something. Why didn't I think of that before? :)

58 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Ah, that's a great idea! :) Thank you!

Thank you for the offer, I'm only looking for a ring or two but in black. But I can easily create a PDF of what I want and get someone like gigink to cut it for me in black acrylic or something. Why didn't I think of that before? :)

I didn't even make the pdf. I just sent them a photo of the bass, a photo of the Yamaha BB basses with the pickup surrounds and asked gigink to make it for me. They sent me a PDF to print out to scale so I could check the measurements then it was all easy from there. I'm plotting what to order next from them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I didn't even make the pdf. I just sent them a photo of the bass, a photo of the Yamaha BB basses with the pickup surrounds and asked gigink to make it for me. They sent me a PDF to print out to scale so I could check the measurements then it was all easy from there. I'm plotting what to order next from them.

They make it too easy, that's dangerous! :D

• Haha 1