Why become a member? ×

Starting with bass synth

javi_bassist

Hi everyone,

For some time I've been toying with the idea of starting playing the synth (the bass synth actually). However, I'm not sure how to start. I bought a Korg Microkorg from a friend (not the best idea though. The learning curve of that thing is high). However, I'm not sure how to start. I can play some (basic) piano so I have the basics to play keys. But I don't know how to learn what does that, the different parts of the synth, songs I should learn... How do you guys started?

I'd just fiddle around to get some interesting bass sounds I liked... And make up some bass lines !

I've had a few old keyboard things and have done just this (even in a band context a few times).. and I can't play the piano at all really, worked for me and is great fun, you'll come up with totally different bass parts than you would on a bass guitar too.

• Like 2

@javi_bassistwelcome to the club... it's a challenge but very rewarding!

Jamiroquai's Mat Johnson did some good Moog Bass videos you may find interesting:

A few other channels I've found helpful or inspiring:

Thiago Gomes - YouTube

Emilio Rivera - YouTube

The Real Free - YouTube

csmcrckrs - YouTube

Arty Party - YouTube

1. How to play funky synth bass - for bass players - YouTube

I bought this course Jae Deal - Synth Bass Masterclass - YouTube and found it invaluable!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2021 at 07:28, javi_bassist said:

Hi everyone,

For some time I've been toying with the idea of starting playing the synth (the bass synth actually). However, I'm not sure how to start. I bought a Korg Microkorg from a friend (not the best idea though. The learning curve of that thing is high). However, I'm not sure how to start. I can play some (basic) piano so I have the basics to play keys. But I don't know how to learn what does that, the different parts of the synth, songs I should learn... How do you guys started?

The biggest leap I’ve made in actual keys playing is learning good pentatonic fingerings in all keys. I highly recommend Marius Nordal’s book “Wisdom of the Hand”. I got it and started working out if it at the end of last year and it has absolutely transformed my playing. 

• Like 2

It was only in lockdown, that I started to get to grips with synth stuff. 

Obviously, the downside is it can get expensive . 

I'm very much like Les Dawson regarding  the piano , although it seems less daunting on a kids casio '80s keyboard I picked up recently

In terms of Bass synth which is not massively expensive, I love the Moog Minitaur . It's handy if you want to do home recording using an interface , with lots of presets. Plus if you have a midi keyboard with drum pads  it sounds great too. Instant Bass just by tapping the drum pads .There are other moogs like the sub 37/ slim phatty  etc should you want to play live without computer.  

If you're wanting to learn songs etc you tube is your friend ..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Moog Minitaur is a great little MIDI unit; it is a bit one-dimensional though, but if you're after a Moog bass sound then that's not particularly an issue. You can program it via a PC app and save the sound settings ("patches" or "programs" in synthy terminology) to call them back. (One thing to note is that it is limited to the lower registers, so you don't get the full range of a Taurus, unless you maybe use an octave pedal.)

The Behringer Model D, which is a clone of a Minimoog is therefore also a great bass synth. However, it doesn't have presets, so you have to twiddle the knobs and remember their settings; that said, the left-right panel layout helps you understand the signal flow and synth controls.

I've also got a Novation Bass Station, which has some good stuff in there, but it really needs a PC controlling it.

• 1 month later...

If you want to get deep in to synthesis, there’s a series of articles here that starts from the basics of sound. The way I see it, just making a sound is easy, but making that sound musical is why synths can get quite complex. 

• Like 2