Why become a member? ×

Strange unwanted vibrato/chorus sound on G string.

Yan_Huriey

I have a Fender Jazz Elite, I have noticed recently I'm getting a weird kind of vibrato kind of split signal almost chorusy sound on the G string, it's more pronounced higher up the fretboard.  I always felt like I had a very faint bit of a split signal sound, however it seems to have got more pronounced.  Here's a list of my troubleshooting:-

1. Tried in passive mode, problem still exists.

2. Changed batteries, problem still exists.

3. Put bass direct into amp without pedalboard, problem still exists. Amp is EBS 250 Reidmar

4. Tried on front pickup only, problem still exists.

5. Tried on rear pickup, problem still exists.

6. Tried a Fender P and a Musicman bass through my rig and I have, no problem with either of them.

7. Played extensively on D, A & E strings with no percieved issue.

I don't know if this is a Jazz bass related oddity, however I'm completley stumped and I hate the effect its having on my high fretboard work.  Maybe it's a preamp or pickup issue IDK, but I thought I'd post here as somebody might have some ideas.

I love the bass and don't want to part with it, but might consider changing out the electronics and pickups if this is the issue.

I've had the bass for a couple of years, the photo is just for illustration.

Thanks for looking.

jazz.png

Edited by Yan_Hurei

1 hour ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Try lowering the pickup(s) on the G side.

Mate, that sorted it, guys thank you so much for your help. I just dropped my bridge saddles the other day, so it makes sense now, every days a school day. 😅  Thank you again. 

Edited by Yan_Hurei
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

I know this is an oldish thread, but I seem to be having the exact same problem with my A string. I’ve tried everything - restrung the bass, set the bridge again, lowered/heightened the pickups nothing works. I’m sure when I unwound the strings, the A string did a little ‘uncoil’ like a snake, so maybe it’s been twisted and damaged? If it makes any difference they’re Fender 9050L flats.

The pickups are about 3mm from the string - they’ve been higher and lower and still the same problem.

Here’s a sample (alternating between B & C on the E and A strings. It sounds worse the more top end I put in it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqMlPJ96mQr-qXcZ1dga63xswHIv

It looks different as well, with a noticeable spike at the beginning of the note:

4C058D6B-DC3D-4DFA-B293-8561917C7F00.jpeg

Edited by How1

2 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

When you say "restrung" did you replace the strings with new strings or just put the same strings back on?

Sorry, no I didn’t replace the strings - just took them off and put them back on again. I’d been a bit sloppy when I partially undid the strings to resit a pickup. I wound them round the peg by hand, so thought they’d possibly got twisted or weren’t settled properly.

Edited by How1