Why become a member? ×

Pearl Jam - Hyde Park 2022

NancyJohnson

Has anyone attended one of these VIP things at Hyde Park? 

The ticket price off the link below is £300 a pop, but I just feel that as I'm (cough) getting on (cough) the ticket price includes food and unlimited drink, proper bogs, somewhere to go and dry off (because it's a) July and b) bound to be raining), plus you're in the Ten Club area (front and centre) rather than back the sardine pit.  I'm also a little conflicted as to which day - The Pixies have been announced for Friday, I think Idles (meh) on Saturday.

Pearl Jam VIP Tickets BST The Ultimate Bar Experience 08 July 2022 (eventtravel.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not as a VIP but I saw Pearl Jam in Hyde Park at some point in the last 15 years... Best live band I have ever seen. I am not a die hard PJ fan, though Ten was a massive inspiration to me as I was starting out on bass. Best gig I have ever ever seen. 

I would also consider the VIP thing for this reason, which is also a reason to absolutely not do the VIP thing depending on your slant. When I saw them it was at a Hard Rock Calling event, festival without camping type set up. Saw some of the earlier bands and was quite near the front so just stayed there. Just before PJ came on ten thousand more people came in. As they hit the stage it was like being in the sea when a much bigger wave than you're expecting comes behind you, I was pretty much lifted off my feet and carried forward. Some kids was crowd surfing from back to front and I didn't see him coming, so my hands weren't up and he landed on top of my head, breaking my sunglasses and knackering my neck for days. However, I saw the best concert of my life and being surrounded by die hard fans somehow made the experience better, a bit like being a footy game where everyone is excited and nobody is being a n0b. Towards the end we moved to the side and got a great view and a bit of a calmer experience, but it wasn't the same as being in the thick of it. 

I am now conflicted about Pearl Jam. I'm scared if I ever watch them again they won't be as good. But I've seen other bands multiple times who just got better and better... Massive conflict! 

• Like 2

I did the VIP a few years back to see KOL and Pixies.  It was worth the extra money.  Loads of chill out area, easy access to front of crowd, no beer queues, decent toilets, just a generally much better experience if you can afford it. Think I paid £215 for it.  It was a proper one off but weather was great and you did feel more VIP than a lot of other venues I’ve been to.

• Like 1

I was once in a nightclub in Chicago. My mates and I saw a beaded curtain with a small booth behind it, a small table and seating for four people. We said to the bouncer "what's that all about?" 

"VIP area." 

"can we go in?" 

"yeah, sure..." and he pulled the curtains back for us. 

We sat in there for five minutes then came out again. 

Edited by uk_lefty

57 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

A VIP area isn't very Grunge is it. If Kurt Cobain could see em now........what did he call em. Corporate rock whores or summat!

The working class can kiss my a*se

Cos I have got the foreman's job at last

You're out of work and on the dole

You can stuff the red flag up yer hole

sung to the tune of 'The red flag'

Edited by BillyBass
  • Haha 1

I went VIP for Green Day and Rancid in 2017, definitely worth the extra money if you can afford it.

Enjoyed it way more than a typical stadium type show. You don’t have to miss a quarter of a set if you want to get a beer, loads of places to sit, decent food etc. I’d defo do it again

I've never seen Pearl Jam, I've said it previously that had I been born ten years later, I suspect they would have been 'my' band.

Guess I'm fortunate enough to have done quite a few of these big things from a backstage perspective (Donington/Milton Keynes/Reading), although that ship has long sailed, but it would be nice to experience something similar one more time.

• Like 1

Yeah it’s not backstage, more to the side of the stage but some places do VIP for an extra and it is packed and there’s no point, but at Hyde park it was worth the extra money. Never splashed out for a gig before like that and probably never will again, I’m a surfing stage diving get stuck in gig goer but it was a totally different experience and very enjoyable 👍🏼 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gt4ever said:

Yeah it’s not backstage, more to the side of the stage but some places do VIP for an extra and it is packed and there’s no point, but at Hyde park it was worth the extra money. Never splashed out for a gig before like that and probably never will again, I’m a surfing stage diving get stuck in gig goer but it was a totally different experience and very enjoyable 👍🏼 

I think this is something I would be doing for "special birthdays" if it was a big band I really wanted to see. I'll still watch the likes of Black Stone Cherry in an ordinary venue, but for the big outdoor stuff unless it's the MK Bowl, which I saw Foo Fighters at and had a great time, I'd consider VIP. There's venues I am completely put off, like Knebworth, that it would have to be VIP or nothing. 

Never attended a VIP event there but I have played at a Hyde Park BST gig and after reading the description of what the VIP thing entails, it sounds fair enough to me, if the gig is something you’d want to go to anyway. Some gigs cost more than that and all you get is a plastic seat up in the back end of a football arena or whatever.

Actually, with the included T-shirt and lanyard in the VIP deal, we never even got those when we played, so maybe it’s a good deal 👍 

• Like 1

I saw Clapton and Santana at Hyde Park a few years ago with just normal tickets. Definitely didn't appreciate how far back you'd be! Weather was excellent and even though you were mostly watching on a screen the sound was good and had a great time. 

If Pearl Jam are a band you *need* to see, I'd stump the cash for the experience. Also, considering we haven't been spending any money on gigs or holidays I think a one off is justified 😅

On 10/08/2021 at 12:10, uk_lefty said:

I am now conflicted about Pearl Jam. I'm scared if I ever watch them again they won't be as good. But I've seen other bands multiple times who just got better and better... Massive conflict! 

Have seen PJ many, many times (and saw Nirvana on a 3 band bill for $1...) and have never been disappointed by them. I won't hesitate to see them again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kazan said:

Have seen PJ many, many times (and saw Nirvana on a 3 band bill for $1...) and have never been disappointed by them. I won't hesitate to see them again.

Same here. Great shows and very loooong ones. Last time I saw them was in 2014 in Leeds and I think the city council fined them afterwards because they played too long. I was supposed to see them again in London in 2018 but that gig got cancelled as Eddie had some medical issues. I found out on the train to London. Not cool. They rescheduled the gig but I could not make the new date. So, I like them a lot but I would not cough up £300 for a ticket.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

If Pearl Jam are a band you *need* to see, I'd stump the cash for the experience. Also, considering we haven't been spending any money on gigs or holidays I think a one off is justified 😅

Yeah, problem is I have been spending the gigs and holiday money on new basses 😉