Why become a member? ×

help needed

KinkMaster

Hello guys, I need a "do it all", EBS microbass 3 type, the main functions are compressor, distortion, with auxiliary input and headphone output, the new ones from darkglass, the EBS microbass and what else ??  suggestions?  os: you have to separate the signal for and have a blend.  thanks

I have been using and really liking the EBS preamps, so that's my recommendation; but you can also consider the TC Electronic Spectradrive, if you can find one (are they discontinued?), or Palmer Pocket Bass (no compression though).
https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0D9D

https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/guitar-effects/5140/pocket-amp-bass

7 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I have been using and really liking the EBS preamps, so that's my recommendation; but you can also consider the TC Electronic Spectradrive, if you can find one (are they discontinued?), or Palmer Pocket Bass (no compression though).
https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0D9D

https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/guitar-effects/5140/pocket-amp-bass

Tank's for the advice, but I think the TC doesn't split the signal!!! I will probably go with the ebs microbass 3. 

Zoom B1-4 multi-fx is a fantastic little "micro-board". I liked mine so much, I've bought two and it's all I'm currently taking with me for live performances - I personally use it to provide me with tuner, B7k dirt, chorus, tape echo and Z-synth. You can include a compressor in every patch if you want to. Includes very good headphone amp capability with aux in and has both a (basic) looper and a decent drum machine which can be useful for home practice.

But you'll have so much spare cash left over if you go for that option...😁

Edited by Al Krow

If you're after a "Do It All" preamp, then why not look at something like a Multi-FX?

The MicroBass 3 is around £310-330, the Darkglass pedals are between £280-£500 for the ADAM.

You could look at something like the Tech21 Bass Fly Rig v2, which will give you not only 2 flavours of modelling preamp (BDDI & VT Bass), but also include a Compressor, Chorus, Tuner and an Octafilter/Fuzz, in one box, which retails for about the same price as the EBS.

Something like a POD Go, or a HX Stomp, which have all the amp/cab/effect models you could want will set you back around £360-500. Caveat, just bought a POD Go, and very pleased with it so far.

Guess it boils down to what you want to acheive with the preamp.

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

If you're after a "Do It All" preamp, then why not look at something like a Multi-FX?

The MicroBass 3 is around £310-330, the Darkglass pedals are between £280-£500 for the ADAM.

You could look at something like the Tech21 Bass Fly Rig v2, which will give you not only 2 flavours of modelling preamp (BDDI & VT Bass), but also include a Compressor, Chorus, Tuner and an Octafilter/Fuzz, in one box, which retails for about the same price as the EBS.

Something like a POD Go, or a HX Stomp, which have all the amp/cab/effect models you could want will set you back around £360-500. Caveat, just bought a POD Go, and very pleased with it so far.

Guess it boils down to what you want to acheive with the preamp.

The multi-fx is to expensive, except the hotone ampero, but it's more for guitar, then bass, I don't use 10% of the effects, I just want a simple and good compressor and distortion, to blend with the clean tone, like the bass Butler, but now with de ebs it as the tuner aux in and headphones out. The question is ? Is there another like it ??(same features?

23 minutes ago, KinkMaster said:

The multi-fx is to expensive, except the hotone ampero, but it's more for guitar, then bass, I don't use 10% of the effects, I just want a simple and good compressor and distortion, to blend with the clean tone, like the bass Butler, but now with de ebs it as the tuner aux in and headphones out. The question is ? Is there another like it ??(same features?

Well the Zoom B1-4 is just £65 and will do everything you want it to. It's also aimed at bass rather than guitar. 

@JohnRwhy wrong thread, buddy? 

1 hour ago, KinkMaster said:

My point was that the POD Go is £360, has 14 Bass specific preamp/amp models & 7 cab models, an loads of effects. It is possible to build a fabulous sound for stage and studio, and have loads of possibilities to take your sound where you want. It's not bad if you have a guitar as well. Headphone out as well.

Like @Al Krow said, the Zoom B1 Four gives you all that for the princely sum of £65. Or there's the Zoom B3n for about £185. Both with headphone out. There's a B3n in the For Sale section for a very reasonable price.

Alternatively, the Tech21 Bass Fly Rig v2 has 2 different preamps built in, as well as giving you a compressor, a fuzz/ovtave, chorus and tuner. Loads of flexibility there for about the same price as the EBS. There's a fantastic Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe in the For Sale section, which gives you 6 preamp's in a DI capable pedal. No headphone out though.

I was merely suggesting some alternatives that you might want to consider, as they are all very viable solutions in a similar price range. 

Of course, you are free to make your own mind up, it is after all, your money. Whatever you choose, enjoy it.

Edited by Skybone

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Well the Zoom B1-4 is just £65 and will do everything you want it to. It's also aimed at bass rather than guitar. 

@JohnRwhy wrong thread, buddy? 

Re-reading the OP's question and your reply I now have no idea what I was thinking as your reply was completely on topic. I think I need glasses. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

My point was that the POD Go is £360, has 14 Bass specific preamp/amp models & 7 cab models, an loads of effects. It is possible to build a fabulous sound for stage and studio, and have loads of possibilities to take your sound where you want. It's not bad if you have a guitar as well. Headphone out as well.

Like @Al Krow said, the Zoom B1 Four gives you all that for the princely sum of £65. Or there's the Zoom B3n for about £185. Both with headphone out. There's a B3n in the For Sale section for a very reasonable price.

Alternatively, the Tech21 Bass Fly Rig v2 has 2 different preamps built in, as well as giving you a compressor, a fuzz/ovtave, chorus and tuner. Loads of flexibility there for about the same price as the EBS. There's a fantastic Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe in the For Sale section, which gives you 6 preamp's in a DI capable pedal. No headphone out though.

I was merely suggesting some alternatives that you might want to consider, as they are all very viable solutions in a similar price range. 

Of course, you are free to make your own mind up, it is after all, your money. Whatever you choose, enjoy it.

Right I understand the thinking, but I would prefer something simpler, hence I'm leaning towards ebs, the big advantage I see, for me, in a multi-effects, is the fact of having two or three sets always available, studio, rehearsals, and gigs, with change of a single button, the zoom or even the GT bosses, for me it doesn't work, I think the ones are too fragile, the helix too expensive, for a multi it would be a hotone or Valenton, nux etc. up to around €370 max

Edited by KinkMaster

One more vote for multi-FX. Start Zoom if you want it cheap (still most bang for the buck IME). I've been a SansAmp guy since forever, mostly an RBI, nowadays in my studio just for recording really. I've had Zoom's small multi-FX since about 2000 (BFX-708, 708II, B2.1u, then MS-60B, which now coexists with a G1Xon, B3 and G3). The last 2 generations sound AMAZING. I've also dabbed into the newest generation (B3n, B1four/Xfour), indeed I owned a B1X Four for some time and had plenty of oportunity to A/B it with the MS-60B, and I sticked with the previous gen. because the four (and some B3ns I had also tried, just not A/Bed) sounds boxier and a little noisy in comparison. Really, if I'm 100% result driven about this I'll never spend much more than Zoom range. I've used POD, GT-6B (noisy!, also Boss' "modules" paradigm is so obsolete) and many other more expensive gadgets. IME Zoom kills them all. Only other thing I'd be interested in these days is Mod Devices' Dwarf, just because I like open-source stuff and the infinite interconnectivity (still I've yet to hear decent bass demos of it -modern sansampey/darkglassey stuff-). Just as an example, I've built a Guma Drive pedal (B3K clone, my bro' did all of the soldering in fact), which I love, but in all honesty my honeymoon with it lasted for about 2 weeks, until I took about 1 hour to replicate such "darkglassey" tone in my G1Xon (firmware customized with all bass relevant stuff from the B1Xon).

So, other than the fact that browsing thru' menus and fiddling with parameters is not for everyone, I see no other argument to look elsewhere. TONE IS DEFINITELY THERE and functionality is HUGE, you just have to take your time tweaking. IME they blow any preamp/comp/EQ pedal out of the water for a tiny fraction of the cost (you can have a used B1on/Xon -can chain 5 FX- for like 30€ 'round here). No brainer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andruca said:

One more vote for multi-FX. Start Zoom if you want it cheap (still most bang for the buck IME). I've been a SansAmp guy since forever, mostly an RBI, nowadays in my studio just for recording really. I've had Zoom's small multi-FX since about 2000 (BFX-708, 708II, B2.1u, then MS-60B, which now coexists with a G1Xon, B3 and G3). The last 2 generations sound AMAZING. I've also dabbed into the newest generation (B3n, B1four/Xfour), indeed I owned a B1X Four for some time and had plenty of oportunity to A/B it with the MS-60B, and I sticked with the previous gen. because the four (and some B3ns I had also tried, just not A/Bed) sounds boxier and a little noisy in comparison. Really, if I'm 100% result driven about this I'll never spend much more than Zoom range. I've used POD, GT-6B (noisy!, also Boss' "modules" paradigm is so obsolete) and many other more expensive gadgets. IME Zoom kills them all. Only other thing I'd be interested in these days is Mod Devices' Dwarf, just because I like open-source stuff and the infinite interconnectivity (still I've yet to hear decent bass demos of it -modern sansampey/darkglassey stuff-). Just as an example, I've built a Guma Drive pedal (B3K clone, my bro' did all of the soldering in fact), which I love, but in all honesty my honeymoon with it lasted for about 2 weeks, until I took about 1 hour to replicate such "darkglassey" tone in my G1Xon (firmware customized with all bass relevant stuff from the B1Xon).

So, other than the fact that browsing thru' menus and fiddling with parameters is not for everyone, I see no other argument to look elsewhere. TONE IS DEFINITELY THERE and functionality is HUGE, you just have to take your time tweaking. IME they blow any preamp/comp/EQ pedal out of the water for a tiny fraction of the cost (you can have a used B1on/Xon -can chain 5 FX- for like 30€ 'round here). No brainer.

Yes I do understand the argument, if I go for multi FX, I will go for the hotone ampero, I think that bang for your buck is the best ( road "gig" worthy, studio worthy, rehearsal worthy and home silent practice) as for the boss and zoom not my favorite (plastic construction), from what i've seen, helix do everything and a pair of boots, but i haven't seen in hotone, for example, build a double parallel signal, for example to replicate the signal of a bass Butler or ebs microbass, the goal was to create a parallel way, with compressor in the bass and distortion in the mids and highs

Yes I do understand the argument, if I go for multi FX, I will go for the hotone ampero, I think that bang for your buck is the best ( road "gig" worthy, studio worthy, rehearsal worthy and home silent practice) as for the boss and zoom not my favorite (plastic construction), from what i've seen, helix do everything and a pair of boots, but i haven't seen in hotone, for example, build a double parallel signal, for example to replicate the signal of a bass Butler or ebs microbass, the goal was to create a parallel way, with compressor in the bass and distortion in the mids and highs

Which is entirely what the Tech21 DP3X is

You will get parallel routing options on the Helix, but not on the Ampero or Zoom. The plastic construction on the Zoom B1-4 is pretty robust though and you get metal on the B3N. 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You will get parallel routing options on the Helix, but not on the Ampero or Zoom. The plastic construction on the Zoom B1-4 is pretty robust though and you get metal on the B3N. 

as i thought, well i have to choose between ebs microbass 3 and gallien krueger plex, I think this two are the most complete....

I'd perhaps consider if one 'do it all' pedal is the best option.

If I had no pedals and a £300 budget I'd get separate second hand pedals that could each potentially do their individual jobs better:

- Practice tool: Zoom b1 four for home use (headphone, Aux in, drum machine, looper, and all the other occasional fx) (£50)

And if you don't want to use that for live stuff and want other core microbass 3 things covered:

- Tuner: A separate tuner has a more obvious screen. (I just got a Korg Pitchblack micro for £30)

- EQ pedal. Potentially can do more than a 'do it all' pedal EQ, I just got a source audio EQ v1 for £70 which has 8 bands +-18dB that can be saved in 4x presets you can select by footswitch. 

- Compressor, could get something like a spectracomp second hand for about £50 which you could fine tune to your setup and stomp on/off when needed. 

- Distortion: Something like the Source Audio Aftershock for about £100 would cover more distortion sounds. 

- DI. Is it needed? Amps have DI out and if playing ampless then how are you monitoring? If it is needed there are cheap utity XLR DI pedals. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SumOne said:

If I had no pedals and a £300 budget I'd get separate second hand pedals that could each potentially do their individual jobs better:

- Practice tool: Zoom b1 four for home use (headphone, Aux in, drum machine, looper, and all the other occasional fx) (£50)

And if you don't want to use that for live stuff and want other core microbass 3 things covered:

- Tuner: A separate tuner has a more obvious screen. (I just got a Korg Pitchblack micro for £30)

- EQ pedal. Potentially can do more than a 'do it all' pedal EQ, I just got a source audio EQ v1 for £70 which has 8 bands +-18dB that can be saved in 4x presets you can select by footswitch. 

- Compressor, could get something like a spectracomp second hand for about £50 which you could fine tune to your setup and stomp on/off when needed. 

- Distortion: Something like the Source Audio Aftershock for about £100 would cover more distortion sounds. 

- DI. Is it needed? Amps have DI out and if playing ampless then how are you monitoring? If it is needed there are cheap utity XLR DI pedals. 

Which is why I think something like a Tech21 Bass Fly Rig v2 would be ideal.

However, the OP seems set on the EBS MicroBass III. I have no doubts that it's a fine pedal, and will serve his purposes well.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2021 at 13:33, SumOne said:

yes it could be an option, I already have a good tuner Boss tu 2, but if on the one hand it's more reliable, if one breaks down the others are fine, it's much more to take with me, and on the other hand, if I buy EBS or Gallien Krueger level stuff, I spend a lot more money!! !  the solution of a good "all in one" for me is ideal, now the "right choice" is still a doubt, despite being very inclined towards EBS, I haven't decided yet, I was more inclined towards a used one, but nothing appears

On 11/08/2021 at 14:06, Skybone said:

Which is why I think something like a Tech21 Bass Fly Rig v2 would be ideal.

However, the OP seems set on the EBS MicroBass III. I have no doubts that it's a fine pedal, and will serve his purposes well.

I've been watching tech 21, but it's not as complete, it's more like the orange bass Butler