Why become a member? ×

Odd Yamaha - Late 70's early 80's?

PaulThePlug

Nope... there was no price tag swinging on this one... it was in the covid decontamination rack... I was only in for a mooch after collecting a pickup from @Rumple in the area.

Shop owner bloke was friendly and chatty, supposedly had some story in regard to ownership, passed on by the lead singer (not the bass player) of a 70s band possibly Free or some such bloke was saying... pickup has been replaced... told the bloke i was posting the pic on basschat, so he will know which bass.. the weird melty one!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Looks like the one in the original post has lost its single coil at the neck and gained a guitar (?) humbucker at the bridge.

I’d certainly hope the price isn’t as eye watering as the Reverb ones.

for a similar vibe, SBV500 from the 2000’s would do?

E53A03BE-2F1B-4B86-B263-41D8A9176F4C.jpeg.e594f062746bf8c4e3f1988946da7e0f.jpeg

• Like 2

Yammy Flying Banana! Not sure I've seen a bass version before, those lovely knockoff gougers at Eastwood do an overpriced copy of the guitar.

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

for a similar vibe, SBV500 from the 2000’s would do?

E53A03BE-2F1B-4B86-B263-41D8A9176F4C.jpeg.e594f062746bf8c4e3f1988946da7e0f.jpeg

These are pretty pricey these days, not very common & often north of £600 when they do turn up. Makes me wish I'd picked up the one I saw for £70 in Crack Converters a few years back. But I thought - I don't need two, do I?

24 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Yammy Flying Banana! Not sure I've seen a bass version before, those lovely knockoff gougers at Eastwood do an overpriced copy of the guitar.

These are pretty pricey these days, not very common & often north of £600 when they do turn up. Makes me wish I'd picked up the one I saw for £70 in Crack Converters a few years back. But I thought - I don't need two, do I?

Wish I’d kept hold of the blue one I had a loan of.

was a great sounding “jazz” bass 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

There's a blue SBV500 for sale locally for £400. It was £600 when it was first listed and looks in pretty good nick.

I’d love it - I’d have to dip into the pot for the money I’ve put aside for the wife’s new car…

which is imminent 🤦🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Makes me wish I'd picked up the one I saw for £70 in Crack Converters a few years back. But I thought - I don't need two, do I?

Damnit has this forum taught you nothing man? 

Yes!! The answer is always yes!

😆

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

There's a blue SBV500 for sale locally for £400. It was £600 when it was first listed and looks in pretty good nick.

Where is locally? 

Edit - Actually I've possibly mused over that one, is it in Glasgow? 

Edited by Maude

For anyone genuinely interested in that SBV, it used to be mine. Mostly decent nick, few scrapes and chips and routed with a battery compartment. 

I actually spoke to the guy who is selling it the other day as he came in to my work. I reckon I could get a bit off that if someone wants me to be the middle man? 

Edited by BassApprentice

20 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I think it used to be mine also.  If it is that one then I'm the reason it's got a battery box in it so you're welcome/I'm sorry :)

Welp the second I saw that I went limp in me troos, which is good to be fair as I don’t need it…

Just now, BigRedX said:

The SBVs from the 2000s don't have that much in common with the 60s models that influenced them other than the shape.

The one in the OP is heavily modified anyhow - based upon that, I’d say it also has little in common other than shape 😉