Why become a member? ×

Pedals that ended your pedal search?!

SumOne

5 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

My order was through Bass Direct; he simply never got to any of the orders through that shop. 

That was where I ordered mine. I wonder if they sold more than they actually received?

Spencer put an announcement on his website in June saying he is getting back into building pedals, but there hasn't been any update sinces. I'm holding out for a Doom 2.

Thanks to @dannybuoywith speedy service of less than 24hrs between payment and delivery I'm now on my 4th MXR M82 and this time I'll keep it!

Short story: The MXR M82 has ended my search for bandpass up-sweep filters....but the quest for lowpass and down-sweep filters continues.  

Long story: On my 4th M82 I think I've finally realised why I keep getting rid of them then going back; there are other filters out there that sound better or have more filter tones or perhaps even do the specific bandpass and sweep up thing better but I think the M82's real strength is down to the extra control it gives so can do things like use it as an 'always on' pedal by setting the sensitivity and decay low to get a dubby tone and use the separate clean + filter volumes to just mix a little bit of it in, or run the sensitivity higher but with the Q low and low filter volume to have a very subtle 'quack' mixed into your clean tone which is useful if doing things like feeding into distortion. Or the usual more obvious full-on filter sound is decent enough - but it's big strength is that it's very dynamic/responsive because you can dial in just the right sensitivity and clean blend etc. so it feels very connected to what you're playing (an issue I've had with few pedals is a subtle disconnect -  perhaps latency or taking out the playing dynamics? ...the M82 doesn't have that.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought a C4 I thought, this could be special, but there's something about the interface that doesn't gel with me, so disappointingly not to be. Then, out the blue, I came across the Aguilar Grape Phaser. Now I've not really been a user of phaser pedals so I wasn't holding out much hope but.... now I'm finding it hard to switch it off, it's so funky! It could be a combination of 'new acquisition syndrome' and finding a new sound but I'm really enjoying it and it's my new fav pedal. Also, I'm playing it with a pick, rhythm guitar style which I think the phaser responds to very well and unlike a filter I don't sound like a demented duck!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

When I bought a C4 I thought, this could be special, but there's something about the interface that doesn't gel with me, so disappointingly not to be. Then, out the blue, I came across the Aguilar Grape Phaser. Now I've not really been a user of phaser pedals so I wasn't holding out much hope but.... now I'm finding it hard to switch it off, it's so funky! It could be a combination of 'new acquisition syndrome' and finding a new sound but I'm really enjoying it and it's my new fav pedal. Also, I'm playing it with a pick, rhythm guitar style which I think the phaser responds to very well and unlike a filter I don't sound like a demented duck!

It’s my favourite phaser too. 

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

I'm with you on the C4, it's nearly great but the interface meant I didn't gel with it. Also agree about phasers - it seems to be one of the least used and discussed effects but is one of my favorite, funky in a more subtle way than envelope filters. I'll have to try the grape phaser (currently using the EBS Phaser which I like a lot). 

• Like 1

.... the Grape Phaser has a 'color' knob which controls the amount of signal fed back through the phaser. Simple, but the more you crank it the more it adds a sort of 'wah' into the sound and it's seriously funky. There's a good demo of it on the Andertons youtube channel where they play through all the Aguilar pedals.

• Like 2

On 07/09/2021 at 10:20, Boodang said:

.... the Grape Phaser has a 'color' knob which controls the amount of signal fed back through the phaser. Simple, but the more you crank it the more it adds a sort of 'wah' into the sound and it's seriously funky. There's a good demo of it on the Andertons youtube channel where they play through all the Aguilar pedals.

Presumably a resonance control for the notch then? There are other phasers which feature this too, but it’s rarer to see that on phasers than it is on envelope filters. 

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread to praise the One Control Crimson Red, which I actually bought from OP @SumOne. Gives my little Mustang huge bottom end and can get my fretless Jazz into quasi-upright territory. It's currently my only pedal. Recently, I've even considered getting a second one in case the unthinkable happened and this one stopped working! 😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaulHornBass said:

Resurrecting this thread to praise the One Control Crimson Red, which I actually bought from OP @SumOne. Gives my little Mustang huge bottom end and can get my fretless Jazz into quasi-upright territory. It's currently my only pedal. Recently, I've even considered getting a second one in case the unthinkable happened and this one stopped working! 😂

I miss it!

I've had one sat in my Thomann cart for months waiting for when I need something else from them to save a bit on postage.

• Like 1