Why become a member? ×

Pedals that ended your pedal search?!

SumOne

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's the thing, you see. Different with e-drums, nowadays, but how many Drummers will swap out their snare to get 'that' sound that's on the original being covered..? Any of 'em have timpani on hand, or the gong that sounds in the intro..? Are the drums even tuned appropriately for the various songs to be played..? In my experience, drummers tend to play on one kit for the whole evening, whatever the tune 'needs'. For bass it's very similar; one size fits all, if one decides to just get on with it and play, instead of tap-dancing like a guitarist. Yes, we all different, and some are more 'precious' than others, but it makes very little, if any, difference to the evening, in many bands that I've played drums, or bass, in. 'Old school'..? Indeed. :)

A lot of drummers that I work with have been working with have been doing things like using 2 snares, putting a splash cymbal on the snare, or using an Octapad for a while now, because they know that one size doesn't fit all.   It's not even a new thing anymore- I know drummers who were incorporating electronics and things 30 years ago.

You might not think that it makes a difference but people do notice these kind of things, especially in this day and age.

Edit... This is well off topic sorry, and might make a cool different thread.

Edited by Doddy
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's the thing, you see. Different with e-drums, nowadays, but how many Drummers will swap out their snare to get 'that' sound that's on the original being covered..? Any of 'em have timpani on hand, or the gong that sounds in the intro..? Are the drums even tuned appropriately for the various songs to be played..? In my experience, drummers tend to play on one kit for the whole evening, whatever the tune 'needs'. For bass it's very similar; one size fits all, if one decides to just get on with it and play, instead of tap-dancing like a guitarist. Yes, we all different, and some are more 'precious' than others, but it makes very little, if any, difference to the evening, in many bands that I've played drums, or bass, in. 'Old school'..? Indeed. :)

Don't you cover RATM and Muse? Without bass distortion? 

When recording I change cymbals and snares loads for different effects, but yeh, I can't be bothered to do that live. I guess E-drums are a similar innovation for drummers as effects pedals are for bassists and guitarists.

• Like 1

The "pedal" that ended my search was the Roland GP8 multi-effects with it's FC100 foot controller.

Up to that point I'd built up an impressive collection of pedals and rack-mounted individual effects that filled 10U of a rack flight case. The GP replaced nearly all of them and I decided that the ones it didn't I could live without. As well as being a tenth the size it was programmable so getting the next sound was simply hitting the relevant switch on the FC100 rather than having the mess about with numerous settings on my old devices.

Since than I've stuck with programmable multi-effects going from the GP8 to a Peavey BassFex, BassPod and most recently Helix Floor. I can't see ever going back to individual units of any kind.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Indeed, and more. Heresy, I know, but, if it sounds good, it is good ...  :)

Would you say that about a guitar player who just plays clean or a keyboard player who only uses a piano patch?   No difference.

Clean bass sounds great, but it doesn't make it right.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Would you say that about a guitar player who just plays clean or a keyboard player who only uses a piano patch?   No difference.

Clean bass sounds great, but it doesn't make it right.

It's a question of context, with the whole band being heard. Our Eldest plays through a Triaxis and G-Force in his rack, Nico, our second guitar has a Vox multi and others, his keys cover the whole sonic gamut of whatever we're playing. We find that a clean bass sits far better in the already crowded 'dirt' spectrum without adding extra 'mush'. I know that it's possible to retain the core bass sound and add all sorts of whatever, but does it actually sound better as a result..? Not for us. Similarly, I keep the same snare for all the set when playing the acoustic kit, but even with the e-kit I much prefer the same 'core' drum sound, whatever the number, and simply dial in a side-stick or splash cymbal if it's really needed. I play differently, which changes the overall effect through dynamics, as does Our Youngest on bass, and that suffices, for us. When we listen back to recordings, either rehearsal or 'live', we're not shaking our heads at all the Fx that are not there. It sounds fine. Sometimes we even recognise what the song was supposed to be..! :|

Edited by Dad3353

Not using FX live is definitely a horses-for-courses situation. Personally I can't imagine listening to Hysteria, New Born or Plug in Baby by Muse without some sort of fuzz/distortion on bass, but 80% of people probably really aren't going to notice a difference.

But to paraphrase a memetic question from Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Why are you ignoring 20% of your audience? ;)

• Like 1

I just got a Broughton Audio Messenger pre-amp/DI and now I'm done.  It's a great box with really nice HPF and LPF, super useful.

There's a chance I'll upgrade my compressor in future but all my other pedals are  stellar.

• Like 5

On 10/08/2021 at 23:18, AxelF said:

I've clearly imagined it but I'm sure there used to be a sticky about not being that **** who posts about being that guy 'who doesn't need effects' in the effects forum... 🙄

You didn't imagine it, but it's on the TalkBass effects forum. Here's the post:

Screenshot_20210819-141140_Chrome.jpg.32051e7f0f4669835eb43638ea16bafd.jpg

But quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

You didn't imagine it, but it's on the TalkBass effects forum. Here's the post:

Screenshot_20210819-141140_Chrome.jpg.32051e7f0f4669835eb43638ea16bafd.jpg

But quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I find my effects great fun, but practically speaking I use them as effects in the same way that a movie uses effects to achieve something out of the ordinary. Too much effect limits my ability to change the sound and dynamics using my fingers.

Now I have an amp with a valve preamp the utility of my MojoMojo is becoming moot as just digging in creates the massive sound I want and the jury is out on compression.

A tuner is useful, but not essential, ditto an HPF. A chorus is handy for things like Purple Rain, and I will probably move this to be in the post preamp effects loop.

My collection of overdrive, fuzz and distortion pedals are possibly redundant unless a real need comes along.  Octaver is great, until other people join  in. Phase, flange, tremelo* don't really suit.

*Worked a treat on boulevard of broken dreams but the concept of a drummer taking his tempo from one of my effects didn't work.

• Like 3

Predictable for me, but the Future Impact (mostly) stops me buying synth pedals (though I did buy a C4 when it launched).

I actually haven’t bought a new pedal in ages (partly because the Octabvre III and OC-5 are nowhere to be found, but also because I’ve been getting very into keyboard synths).

• Like 2

Concur with @Quatschmacher about the Future Impact especially after the latest couple of releases which Q was heavily involved with. I like old gear and still love my Octavius Squeezer for the Envelope and Brown Dog Gated fuzz and the Matryoshka for the craziness but I can't really see myself ever needing another bass synth pedal as the FI does everything I ever need synth-wise. 

For standalone envelope filters although I always keep an eye on new releases, the venerable Mu-Tron III still just has that sound for me. It does the slightly dirty funky quack better than any other filter I've tried IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

Mine was the 3 Leaf Audio Octabvre (mk 1). Until I got the Octabvre mk 3.

The Malekko B:Assmaster fuzz pedal. Absolutely love it.

Still gutted I never got mine. Not sure I’ll ever manage to get one now as Spencer has disappeared again. 

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Still gutted I never got mine. Not sure I’ll ever manage to get one now as Spencer has disappeared again. 

Spencer is a fool for letting you down. So many people I know hold your opinions in such high regard.. he could have sold so many if he had impressed you. 

His loss.

Just mho of corse.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Spencer is a fool for letting you down. So many people I know hold your opinions in such high regard.. he could have sold so many if he had impressed you. 

His loss.

Just mho of corse.

It sounded like he had some mental health problems, which I am totally sympathetic to. I hope he recovers and gets back up and running soon. 

20 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It sounded like he had some mental health problems, which I am totally sympathetic to. I hope he recovers and gets back up and running soon. 

As do I. 

Covid had been hard. 

I had assumed maybe he had unfilled your order when others had been satisfied 

If that's not the case, them I take it back.

Mental health is a real and current issue that needs addressing with support and care.

19 minutes ago, GisserD said:

As do I. 

Covid had been hard. 

I had assumed maybe he had unfilled your order when others had been satisfied 

If that's not the case, them I take it back.

Mental health is a real and current issue that needs addressing with support and care.

My order was through Bass Direct; he simply never got to any of the orders through that shop.