Why become a member? ×

Pedals that ended your pedal search?!

SumOne

What pedals have ended your pedal search for that particular effect/utility?

These are my favourites that I don't have any desire to change:

• Korg Pitchblack Mini. Does what it's supposed to do accurately and reliably in a small size, any smaller and it'd start being difficult to read or would move about when stomping it on.  Acts as a mute too. I got rid of my old one when I got a multi-FX with tuner but have another one on the way now and will be keeping it multi-FX or not.
  • FEA Opti-FET Compressor. Sounds good and has foot-switchable sidechain which I think is a fairly unique feature that I use a lot so I can't see myself wanting a different compressor.
  • MXR Brown Acid Fuzz. I went through about ten different Fuzzes before landing on this one, it's all subjective but this is my favourite.

And honourable mentions to:

• EBS DPhaser. The best Phaser I've used, lots of control for a variety of phaser tones and internal adjustability too. Ideally I'd like the internal switches to be accessible on the outside and for it to have individual clean/phaser volume controls but it does fine without and not many phasers seem to have that level of control.
  • MXR M82: Have owned and sold three as I always think the next envelope filter will do more but I think for it's specific thing ('quacky' bandpass sweep up- good for slap or responsive quick stuff) the M82 is hard to beat and next time I get one I'll keep hold of it.
  • One Control Crimson Red: A decent EQ and preamp combination or Amp & Cab sim gets very close, and having tapewound strings helps get close too - those things never seem to get quite as good though for that one very specific heavy 70s dubby sound. Again, next time I get one I'll keep hold of it!

Saying that though, I've gone a bit mental with pedal buying/selling/trading over the last year and part of that is that I enjoy finding out their differences and it's probably about the journey as much as the destination so I'll probably always be changing things around a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For either obvious overdrive/clean blend or as I mostly use it as an enhancer (loads of clean with just a tiny sniff of overdrive) the Way Huge Pork Loin...been in constant use for 10 years. Been asked numerous times what amp/bass combi is getting "that" sound and I suspect it's the pedal what they are noticing : )    

• Like 1

The one that has really blown me away is a lowly Valeton FET preamp pedal. It fattens everything up quite beatifully and makes every frequency sing. It is also a buffer so nothing goes missing in the chain. Think I paid £40 for it off ebay and that is a mega bargain. It can also make a Strat sound as big as a Les Paul.

• Like 1

Im not sure if I've found the "ones" but I completely agree that the journey is more fun than the destination. Since getting the C4 and disaster Area micro, ita replaced a few pedals, and I could replace more but I like variety. I was fairly pedal gas free, but had a recent reshuffle to unlock funds. As a result I've sold a very faithful pedal my Cog T70. I've also changed compressor from Cali76cb to the FEA Optifet. I have some pedals thst I keep coming back to all the time, like the MXR M82 (C4 replaced it 😂) I've always loved the EBS Octabass or an OC2, I have the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe which is lovely. I never keep something though,even though a lot of these pedals have worked for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've owned a lot of source audio one series pedals and can't fault their sounds or versatility. My issue has always been the interface with that annoying little toggle switch & that little hidden 'alt' switch (or long hold footswitch), I wish they had a small Preset counter to scroll through (something simple like the Boss rc3, or zoom ms60) or like their EQ pedals where you can hold down the footswitch to scroll through a few presets. I'm hoping the next generation of one control pedals include something like that. 

• Like 2

The only pedals I regularly use that I'm not too bothered about getting other versions of, are my tuner and volume pedals. I'm happy enough with my trusty TC Polytune and Ernie Ball Volume.

Even though there are certain effects that I take out pretty much all the time (mainly the 3 Leaf Octabvre and Emma Discumbobulator), it doesn't stop me from buying other octavers and filters. I've also got far too many drive pedals, even though I favour 3 or 4 particular ones.

Having said that, I recently bought a Moog Subsequent 25 and now I'm not particularly fussed about buying a synth pedal like the Future Impact or the C4.

• Like 2

I’m not completely finished, but I enjoy making them and modding them, so why not?

My filter of choice is the chunk systems agent 00Funk, favoured octaver is a stripped down OC-2, and the jury’s still out on fuzz pedals - I’ve narrowed it down to a shortlist of around five…

• Like 3

Actually id recently said, I was was going to stop buying/trying different pedals for the sake of it. But there are so many flavours and trying them is addictive. You see something different and curiosity always gets the better,and unfortunately I'm not in a financial position to have drawers and drawers of pedals I don't like/can't use. As a result I no longer own many on the following list,that were my favourites.

My top picks

Compression -

EBS Multi comp (owned 5)

3 Leaf Pwnzor

Cali76CB

Diamond BCP1

Nemphasis VT bass

Octave-

Boss Oc2

COG T 16/65/70 (many)

EBS Octabass (owned 3)

Digitech BSW (Octave setting)

IE Subterranea (owned 2)

Fuzz/OD/Dist

EHX Bass Big muff nano 

Cog Grand Tarkin

Cog knightfall

3 leaf Doom

Zvex Mastatron (owned 3)

Crowther prunes n custard

Tech 21 VT bass

Tech 21 Red Ripper

Filter -

Big box EHX Qtron

3 leaf Wonderlove (v1)

MXR M28 BEF (owned 3)

EHX Bassballs/ Mooer sweeper

Chorus-

EBS Unichorus (owned 3)

MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe (owned 2)

Flanger

Boss BF2B

MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe (Flanger setting)

Phaser- 

MXR EVH phase 90

EBS Dphaser

Source Audio Lunar/Gemini

Preamp/DI

3 leaf Enabler

EBS Microbass 2 (owned 3)

Tech21 VTDI

• Like 2

I realise that we're atypical; we use an OBBM signal cable straight into the amp, nothing more. It helps that the amp is a Hiwatt 200w valve head; it does all we want (clean headroom to the sky...). No 'dirt' here, thank you very much. 9_9

• Like 1

My 3 leaf audio octabvre mini has been a staple of my board (although the oc-5 and new octabvre III have tempted me from a curiousity standpoint)

Also the combination of a source audio C4, way huge smalls pork and pickle and darkglass Alpha omicron have squashed all of my drive/fuzz/synth bouts of GAS

Issue I have, is now these searches are done, I've started going through compressors, gone from xvive bass squeezer to a spectracomp and now eyeing up the ampeg opticomp 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

The pedal that stopped me from looking for other solutions, even though there were other solutions available, was the Line6 POD HD500x (OK, probably cheating a wee bit as it's a multi-fx, but I used it for everything for over 5 years).

It's only just been replaced by a POD Go, because there was a great deal on them.

• Like 1

The Source Audio Aftershock made me stopped looking at dirt pedals. I have one more overdrive and two fuzzes, but the Aftershock was the last one and it has every sound I want and need.

But the true pedal killer has been the Line6 HX Stomp. I don't feel the need to have any more pedals.

• Like 2

The Three Leaf Octabreve and the OC2 are both killer octave pedals. Search over!

Source Audio C4 is insane as a synth pedal. Search over!

Empress Compressor is brill for bass. Search over!

There’s still a few pedals to try out but basically my pedal GAS is currently at an all time low. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Strymon deco ended my search for low gain overdrive.

turns out i needed a tape saturation.

I kind of wish you hadn't said that as I was checking that pedal out earlier today as am looking for something that does the double-tracking and pitch bend type effect of the Digitech Luxe (which seems difficult to get hold of in the UK) but then saw the price tag and moved along. If it's also good for the low-gain too then perhaps I should re-consider! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I kind of wish you hadn't said that as I was checking that pedal out earlier today as am looking for something that does the double-tracking and pitch bend type effect of the Digitech Luxe (which seems difficult to get hold of in the UK) but then saw the price tag and moved along. If it's also good for the low-gain too then perhaps I should re-consider! 

Theres a thread somewhere where I posted some clips. If you can't find it. Or I deleted it. Then I can re-reccord some later. 

• Like 2