Why become a member? ×

Tinnitus

BillyBass

13 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Is it advisable to get a pair of ACS's even though I have Tinnitus in one ear, what is the sound quality like when they are in when practicing

Definitely. Mine is only my right ear. Left ear is fine..

Dave

13 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Is it advisable to get a pair of ACS's even though I have Tinnitus in one ear, what is the sound quality like when they are in when practicing

My experience of the ACS plugs is - quite literally - that you forget you're wearing them. I frequently find myself tapping my ears to check whether or not I'm wearing the plugs.

Sound quality is simply identical to playing with no plugs at all. They really are THAT good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

My experience of the ACS plugs is - quite literally - that you forget you're wearing them. I frequently find myself tapping my ears to check whether or not I'm wearing the plugs.

Sound quality is simply identical to playing with no plugs at all. They really are THAT good.

luckily I have not been in a practice situation since it started but will be doing so very soon, I am on the site now checking them out and the Pro26 looks to be the business, money well spent 

I would recommend getting them, if nothing else it will stop your ears getting worse.

sound quality is just like a turned down version of what you would normally hear.  I generally find I hear my bass more clearly than when I don’t have the plugs in.

we had our first gig in 18 months on Saturday and I took my plugs out for one new song, and couldn’t wait to put them back in as it was so loud.

5 hours ago, owen said:

Sometimes you will get tempted to throw caution to the wind and play without earplugs. In the moment it is great. Afterwards it is not. And afterwards lasts much longer than the moment. 

I keep my ear plugs with me on my key ring. Never again!

Flare Audio do a gnatty SS tube fob for theirs.

2 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

I may have to check that out - I use the Flare plugs as well as the Flares Jet IEMs for my motorbike intercom.

I started using the Senner ones on the bike that also have a metal tube container for your keyring. Personally i just put the container in my pocket.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2021 at 12:45, Dood said:

I've done it!

I qualified although it's been many years since I earned my living from music. I still have a 25 year old pair of custom ER15 earplugs, but they might just be past their best. Just need to book the he appointment now. 

Thanks for this. Appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/08/2021 at 17:05, MuddBass said:

I also (ordered using the same moulds) use the ACS Sleepsound https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/sleep-sound

These were purchased to protect from a loud snorer at home; equally as annoying as Tinnitus.

I'm going to order those too. Similar reason, and, in addition, great for camping. 

For me, the cause was many years of riding bikes without earplugs. Not loud pipes (those are for inconsiderate Cnuts) but simply the wind noise around the helmet.

I generally forget about it, but after catching Covid in March 2020 it became more intrusive. Either it's faded again or I've accommodated the new level, not sure which.

• Like 1

From reading some of the above...

Loud Gigs, Riding Bikes and Wind Roar, I now where foam plugs... and more recently Music mostly via Headphones...

I get a more a low freq boom type resonance... than a high pitch ringing or buzzing or hissing. I wear earplugs to sleep although you can hear the sounds within your head, air and fluid etc, ticking clocks, central heating coming on, idleing cars, a fan, snoring wife... anything like that drives me mad!

Recent change in headphones has shown a reduced volume in my left ear, even swapping the headphones round.

Tried a few on line hearing and headphone freq tests, This thread has now prompted me now over 50 to book a free hearing test st specsavers, just to see (or hear!)

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

I get a more a low freq boom type resonance... than a high pitch ringing or buzzing or hissing.

That's interesting! A theory about tinnitus is that the frequencies that we hear are the brain's way of compensating for those frequencies that we hear the least well

We typically hear higher pitched frequencies in our tinnitus because they're usually the first ones to not be heard so well. But if yours are lower pitched, then perhaps that may have some impact on you as a bassist.

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

For me, the cause was many years of riding bikes without earplugs. Not loud pipes (those are for inconsiderate Cnuts) but simply the wind noise around the helmet.

I generally forget about it, but after catching Covid in March 2020 it became more intrusive. Either it's faded again or I've accommodated the new level, not sure which.

An audiologist at work suggested that was possibly the reason for a drop in response on one frequency in my right ear altho he was confused why just my right ear. It was still above average for my age but have since developed a touch of tinnitus in that ear too. Coincidence, just getting old or loud drummers ? Who knows.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my 60's and had tinnitus since my mid 20's.

At first I thought I was picking up radio waves or messages from Major Tom at night which is when I noticed it most, but later realised it was hearing damage.

From school I worked in heavy industry including places where guys beat the crap out of 1/2 inch steel plate with sledge hammers all day. No hearing protection back then and I can remember the sound used to hurt sometimes.

Then getting into bands in my late teens and being in the music industry in different roles for most of my life meant I always had somebody making a lot of noise close by. If not I would be the one pumping out 120 db.

I had to stop mixing bands because I can't hear the tops clearly so tended to over compensate.

I don't know if anyone else gets this but if I play in a loud band these days my ears will shut down after 20 mins and I can't hear the guitar or vocals clearly, it just becomes a distorted noise.

Luckily bass frequencies are OK up to around 2k after that it gets a bit sketchy.

In general life I can't hear conversation in a crowded room. I have to use headphones to hear the TV clearly, especially speech. I can't hear high pitch buzzing insects or a watch or a clock ticking.... etc.... etc....

No regrets, but it is a pain in the donkey having tinnitus.

On 09/08/2021 at 15:01, owen said:

When you get the moulds done ask for the things which wedge your mouth open. You get a better seal. 

Is that the case whether or not you sing? I always thought it was mouth open for singers but closed for anyone else.  

2 hours ago, Paul_S said:

I don't know if anyone else gets this but if I play in a loud band these days my ears will shut down after 20 mins and I can't hear the guitar or vocals clearly, it just becomes a distorted noise.

I think that's normal... even with healthy ears! Certainly, in my younger pre tinnitus days, when playing in or listening to amplified bands, the sound would become very dull and lacking top end very quickly. Sadly, that is now what I have to permanently live with, in addition to the constant high pitched buzzing noise.

4 hours ago, Paul_S said:

Luckily bass frequencies are OK up to around 2k after that it gets a bit sketchy.

Even going to hear other bands I would get that fatigue, but not for a long time now. I put earplugs on my keyring.

• Sad 1

On 16/08/2021 at 21:16, owen said:

Sometimes you will get tempted to throw caution to the wind and play without earplugs. In the moment it is great. Afterwards it is not. And afterwards lasts much longer than the moment. 

Substitute the word earplugs for condoms and it describes how I ended up married the first time.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Paul_S said:

I am in my 60's and had tinnitus since my mid 20's.

At first I thought I was picking up radio waves or messages from Major Tom at night which is when I noticed it most, but later realised it was hearing damage.

From school I worked in heavy industry including places where guys beat the crap out of 1/2 inch steel plate with sledge hammers all day. No hearing protection back then and I can remember the sound used to hurt sometimes.

Then getting into bands in my late teens and being in the music industry in different roles for most of my life meant I always had somebody making a lot of noise close by. If not I would be the one pumping out 120 db.

I had to stop mixing bands because I can't hear the tops clearly so tended to over compensate.

In general life I can't hear conversation in a crowded room. I have to use headphones to hear the TV clearly, especially speech. I can't hear high pitch buzzing insects or a watch or a clock ticking.... etc.... etc....

No regrets, but it is a pain in the donkey having tinnitus.

I think you need hearing aids, without mine my social life would be limited

• Thanks 1

Hi guys. Here I am, another tinnitus suffering pal. As a professional for more than 20 years, now it's become my partner, it seems for life. I have it in both ears now and, at the beginning, it was in my left ear mostly. I thought that it was because I tend to play with drummers located at my left whenever I can. Cymbals and snares has done their job in my ears. But with time it became present in both ears, with the left ring being louder than the right. I never protected my ears, so my bad. But I need to tell you something that makes me think that this go further than just noise damage to your ears. The thing is that this really got worse after lockdown. You now, the lack of gigs, struggling to survive... stress. The days that I'm stressed it gets real mad. So I guess it has some neurological component to it. 

Since they don't now the cure, my advice and what works better for me is to take it easy, meditate, do some physical activities and it will get at least a few points better. And of course, protect you ears...

Greetings to everybody!

• Like 2

Yep stress or migraines make mine worse. Also colds or sinus issues, changes in weather conditions seem to affect it but that's probably the sinus thing again.

If i think about it, it seems to be more noticeable.

It seems to go thru spells of being more noticeable and then times i hardlt notice it.

Dave

9 hours ago, charlie_groove said:

Hi guys. Here I am, another tinnitus suffering pal. As a professional for more than 20 years, now it's become my partner, it seems for life. I have it in both ears now and, at the beginning, it was in my left ear mostly. I thought that it was because I tend to play with drummers located at my left whenever I can. Cymbals and snares has done their job in my ears. But with time it became present in both ears, with the left ring being louder than the right. I never protected my ears, so my bad. But I need to tell you something that makes me think that this go further than just noise damage to your ears. The thing is that this really got worse after lockdown. You now, the lack of gigs, struggling to survive... stress. The days that I'm stressed it gets real mad. So I guess it has some neurological component to it. 

Since they don't now the cure, my advice and what works better for me is to take it easy, meditate, do some physical activities and it will get at least a few points better. And of course, protect you ears...

Greetings to everybody!

Totally agree with the stress related lockdown syndrome as mine got worse after a long time working from home and my marriage breakup. I managed to get to sleep OK with it and when I woke up it took about half an hour to kick in but lately its been starting to wake me up in the morning and lasts all day, no distractions at home to take my mind off it except the hi-fi and some Rush to ease the ringing. Great on a Friday and Saturday night when I have a few bevvies as this seems to relax me enough to forget all about it but you can't drink every night 🤷‍♂️ so its a case of embracing it so I might give the meditation a go...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, charlie_groove said:

The days that I'm stressed it gets real mad. So I guess it has some neurological component to it. 

It's psychological really. Or at least how much it gets to you is. 

Everything you can do to enjoy a wholesome life helps against how irritating the tinnitus is. Sleep well, eat healthy, de-stress, improve your fitness, reduce alcohol/caffeine/nicotine/fastfood, enjoy music and company. The better you feel the less your ears will bother you.

Mindfulness or meditation and cognitive behavioural sciences seem to help a lot of people with getting some grip on the situation.

• Like 2