Why become a member? ×

Tinnitus

BillyBass

On 09/08/2021 at 15:01, owen said:

Get ACS plugs.

Get coloured ones. They are easier to find when you drop them.

Get them on strings so you will drop them less.

Coloured ones do not show ear wax like the clear ones do.

When you get the moulds done ask for the things which wedge your mouth open. You get a better seal. 

My tinnitus rolled into permanence in a quiet harp, piano and EUB rehearsal :(

You will get used to it. Regret is useless, it will not change anything. Do everything possible to make sure it does not get worse.

But if you are reading this, do not have tinnitus, are in loud situations, and do not have earplugs I do not understand your behaviour. Obv this is for the casual reader, not the OP.

Even better get different coloured ones - I got Red for Right so I can easily grab them on a dark, noisy stage and stick them in & no faffing around trying to figure out which is left and right. Strings is a brill idea too. Overall ACS plugs via Musicians Health. They are brill. Job done!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

Even better get different coloured ones - I got Red for Right so I can easily grab them on a dark, noisy stage and stick them in & no faffing around trying to figure out which is left and right. Strings is a brill idea too. Overall ACS plugs via Musicians Health. They are brill. Job done!

Different coloured! Genius! In 3 years time when I get my next ones I will be doing that.

As an aside, I use one to sleep. Not for any tinnitus reasons, just because I have realised that I am monitoring sounds in my sleep and if they are not there I sleep better. I often wake up 8 hours later in the same position. Unless I have had to get up to go to the toilet - but that is for another thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, owen said:

Different coloured! Genius! In 3 years time when I get my next ones I will be doing that.

I think this might be the first time in my life someone has called me a genius. No doubt it will be the last. But that's fine. Once in a lifetime is enough for me :) Yeah, the first set I had were see through - hard to find when dropped and I was always struggling to figure out which ear they would go in. So second time round went for coloured. The open mouth thing though when getting the moulds is genius - I've noted with my actual in ears that the fit is better when I open my mouth - makes for a long gig with lots of drool if I keep my mouth open though....if I ever get any more made I'll be sure to do that.

• Thanks 1

Also remember that tinnitus is also linked to high pollen in the air and the inherent allergy, so during these periods you can use antihistamines and if you want to use a natural one, use plantain weed.

You might think I'm an organic nerd, but I'm not at all. The fact is I'm coming from the chemical medical domain and noticed that for long term treatments, the chemical medication has more side effects than primary effect(s), so I started looking for other solutions and the herbal medicine being the base of ... medicine has very little side effects or even none, hence studying this branch (also the bud therapy) and finding the right treatment associated with an healthy life and osteopathy and/or physiotherapy.

I also use these treatments for myself suffering from tinnitus, Méniere disease and fibromyalgia, plus a totally broken back with well blocked cervical vertebrae... But strangely still having an excellent hearing (yearly test), certainly thanks to my curing approach.

I only want to help, nothing else, like everyone here.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Also remember that tinnitus is also linked to high pollen in the air and the inherent allergy, so during these periods you can use antihistamines and if you want to use a natural one, use plantain weed.

You might think I'm an organic nerd, but I'm not at all. The fact is I'm coming from the chemical medical domain and noticed that for long term treatments, the chemical medication has more side effects than primary effect(s), so I started looking for other solutions and the herbal medicine being the base of ... medicine has very little side effects or even none, hence studying this branch (also the bud therapy) and finding the right treatment associated with an healthy life and osteopathy and/or physiotherapy.

I also use these treatments for myself suffering from tinnitus, Méniere disease and fibromyalgia, plus a totally broken back with well blocked cervical vertebrae... But strangely still having an excellent hearing (yearly test), certainly thanks to my curing approach.

I only want to help, nothing else, like everyone here.

In simple terms then (as there were a few suggestions along the way), what do you use to help with your tinnitus?

1 minute ago, vinorange said:

In simple terms then (as there were a few suggestions along the way), what do you use to help with your tinnitus?

For the tinnitus, I use gingko biloba (bud therapy) and osteopathy for the cervical vertebrae as regular treatment. When the pollen strikes in, I use plantain weed pills.

I limit my amount of coffee (tea is the same) cups up to 6 a day (and it's good for your liver too up to that amount).

Plus a healthy way of life and eating, simply moving (no heavy sport that are body destroyers) without going beyond your physical capabilities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

... have ended up really liking it, to the point of being prepared to gig with it at smaller/quieter venues.

+1 ^^ (...although I'm far from the 'shed-building' class of drummers...). I've not really played my acoustic kit for... well even longer than that... since buying my (inexpensive...) e-kit, which I've fitted out with some extra pads, a laptop and Superior Drummer 3. Total cost..? Less than a set of decent cymbals. I've even bought a second 'kit' (Alesis CompactKit7...) for ad hoc  simple jamming at buddy's places or 'garden gigs'. I'd still record with the acoustic set, but doubt I'll be leaving the house with it all, if I can use the e-kit. It makes so much sense, and sounds darned good (through a decent PA, naturally...).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

+1 ^^ (...although I'm far from the 'shed-building' class of drummers...). I've not really played my acoustic kit for... well even longer than that... since buying my (inexpensive...) e-kit, which I've fitted out with some extra pads, a laptop and Superior Drummer 3. Total cost..? Less than a set of decent cymbals. I've even bought a second 'kit' (Alesis CompactKit7...) for ad hoc  simple jamming at buddy's places or 'garden gigs'. I'd still record with the acoustic set, but doubt I'll be leaving the house with it all, if I can use the e-kit. It makes so much sense, and sounds darned good (through a decent PA, naturally...).

It's good when you find a drummer that's prepared to move with the times and at the very least try new technology rather than simply dismiss it. I guess the same could be said for many other musicians.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our drummist (who's very, very good) has a portable kit (one of those that all fits into the kick, kinda thing...look, I'm not up to speed on drum technicalities, OK? 😕) and can hoick the whole thing in one go on a folding trolley - he's also a drum teacher, but doesn't drive, and in the past has gone to teaching appointments on the bus...

Anyhoo, he's also a great sound engineer/producer, and has it all wired up via triggers and Mac-based jiggery-pokery (yeah, I'm not very hot on that stuff, either 😕) - I was a little sceptical at first, till he went 'Do you want John Bonham's snare...like this? (poinks Mac) Or Alex Van Halen's snare...like this? (poinks Mac again)... It's not often I goggle these days, but goggle I did... The sounds were fantastic...

And best of all (and here's where this nonsense references the actual thread), there's a volume knob for the whole thing... 😃

It's such a small kit, tho, that we do get people saying 'How big is that drummer? And how far away is he?' 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Our drummist (who's very, very good) has a portable kit (one of those that all fits into the kick, kinda thing...look, I'm not up to speed on drum technicalities, OK? 😕)

Dost tha' mean a leccy kit, or a set of 'flats'? This sort of thing: https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Pearl-Compact-Traveler-4pc-w--Hardware-Set/2O8Y?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6s2IBhCnARIsAP8RfAhX-iPCYMXmhrgq7jY2SXaFDpzK2aimObLClIhmaFTow3ZwdY851iYaAoqJEALw_wcB

I played with one drummer who was purest stinky-poo, but he had one thing that impressed me, and that was his set of flats - the perfect halfway house between a leccy kit and a full-fat acoustic set-up.

In late 80s I was in a 3 piece band with drummer using a Simmons kit and guitarist using a Roland guitar synth. That was a great fun band and several venues asked us back because we could turn the drum volume down. Plus we were a good band I hope.🤣

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I've had tinnitus for more years than I care to remember, probably caused by loud gigs, clubbing and jamming too loudly in acoustically dreadful rooms (like garages).

My tinnitus isn't that annoying to be honest, it's bearable and only really noticeable when it's quiet. I did however go and get my hearing in general tested a while back and, apart from the audiologist telling me my hearing starts to fall away at about 8khz, he went through tinnitus. Apparently it's an audio hallucination, in that what you're hearing isn't actually there. He also said that in some cases you can get something similar to a hearing aid that cancels out the hallucination...or something like that, it was a few years ago now. As someone else posted, I get that thing where I struggle to pick out what people are saying if I'm in a crowded room with lots of noise (not noisy, just lots of noise). My hearing tends to get saturated by background noise and will struggle with what the person speaking to me, who maybe only 3 feet from me, is saying.

I've been quite fortunate in the last couple of bands I was in in that they were not loud, at all. One was helped in that there was no drummer, and the last one the drummer rarely used anything other than brushes as he said "any louder would annoy me more than you guys". It was a struggle to get him to use hot rods to be honest. On top of that the guitarist/band leader just won't put up with loud playing, a drummer who can't control their volume isn't a very good drummer in his opinion. I tend to agree.

Now, I simply refuse to be in a loud band, or go and listen to a loud band, and I still have my earplugs with me for practices and gigs.

I went to watch The Dammed with a work mate a few years ago, it was stupid loud. Luckily I remembered my earplugs, so unlike my work mate I didn't have a ringing in my ears like a jet plane taking off. Amps, cabs, PA's and whatever may be able to go to stupid volumes without packing up, distorting and the like, but your ears can't. The gear will be pumping out excellent quality sound, but your ears will start crapping out, so you can't hear the music etc properly, it's just dumb. Just turn it down a bit and you can hear the instruments, the vocalist etc.

• Like 1

For m it's not only music (playing, listening and rock clubs) but years of motorbikes too - loud race bikes, no earplugs etc.

Now it's Flare Audio plugs when attending gigs, the same for riding my motorbike bike but this time I use their in-ear headphones connected to my Cardo Packtalk Black for comms and and ear protection, plus gigging/rehearsal with my 64 Audio IEMs

Sometimes it's worse than others but there's usually some kinds of ring/buzz.  I'm just doing whatever I can to save what I have left.

Agree completely with comments surrounding e-kits for drums - I play mine through Steve Slate Drums 5 and have a plethora of kits and cymbals to choose from - all way above my income especially on the cymbal front but there they are - all ready to get fed straight into the X32 desk via glorious digital straight from the Mac.  16 channels of perfectly mixed drums at anything from whisper quiet to whatever the PA can throw out.

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Apparently it's an audio hallucination, in that what you're hearing isn't actually there

A little amendment: just because tinnitus originates in the brain doesn't make it a hallucination. It's an actual signal that's send back to the cochlea and can be recorded with the right equipment. There's just no point in doing so, there's nothing we can do with that information. A broader signal is usually more effective in masking the tinnitus sounds when necessary, and normally only used until one learns to accept and live with the noise. 

19 minutes ago, markbunney said:

Another recommendation for ACS Custom plugs. I got the Pro 26 last time and they are great. Although they are now 4 years old and I think need replacing as they don’t fit as well as they used too.

I believe every 3 years is the refresh rate. I have just had a new set and can feel the difference. 

• Like 1

I've started using mine in the house when practising the songs. Not because i play loud at home but i'm hoping it gets me more used to them again.

I've been playing in reasonably sensible bands lately where stage volume isnt overly loud but the new punk band i've been told are a bit louder.

I'll definitely be using them from now on.

On subject of my tinnitus i've noticed the changes in weather have affected it and its a bit more noticeable at moment. Same when i'm stressed or i have a migraine the tinnitus gets worse for a week or so then dies off again. Its always there but usually not too noticeable.

Dave

On 11/08/2021 at 22:03, markbunney said:

Another recommendation for ACS Custom plugs. I got the Pro 26 last time and they are great. Although they are now 4 years old and I think need replacing as they don’t fit as well as they used too.

Is it advisable to get a pair of ACS's even though I have Tinnitus in one ear, what is the sound quality like when they are in when practicing

6 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Is it advisable to get a pair of ACS's even though I have Tinnitus in one ear, what is the sound quality like when they are in when practicing

Yes. If it is in one ear and is there because of playing volume then you can protect the other ear. This is big AND clever. Do it now. Or kick yourself in 4 years time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, owen said:

Yes. If it is in one ear and is there because of playing volume then you can protect the other ear. This is big AND clever. Do it now. Or kick yourself in 4 years time.

Thanks Owen , I always stood my left side to the drummer and thats the ear affected. I knew something was wrong when I left practice as I was always rubbing that ear but it took to now to manifest itself so a good advice to wear a pair ALWAYS 

• Like 1