Why become a member? ×

D'Addario Strings.

Mickyk

For absolutely ages I intensely disliked Prosteels for there mid scoop, just recently thought I would give them another shot as I have a bass that is very mid heavy and despite my past impressions they sound pretty good on that bass.

There nickel strings are just decent, nothing wrong with them but just ok rather than great

In short they make decent strings but they all (apart from the Nyxl line) have a bit of a scoop in the mids so they may not be great on a mid shy bass but on a bass with lots of mids they may be a great match

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've used them on and off for years, both the nickels and Pro steels. My take is they're mega-consistent quality and great value for money. On a slight tangent I really liked the balanced tension ones that were about a few years back, but can't seem to find them easily now, not sure if they're discontinued? 

• Like 1

I'm still in the process of finding out what are my preferred strings but I'm a fan of the NXYL nickels.  They are the only strings I have liked as soon as they were on the bass; most strings need a few days to lose that overly bright edge when new, in my opinion.

The EXL170s are fine too, nothing to write home about but nothing wrong with them either.

I have a packet of the XT coated nickel plated steel strings, which I'll use on the next bass that needs new strings.  I believe they are basically the EXL170s with a coating to make them last longer.