Why become a member? ×

D'Addario Strings.

Mickyk

Been using them for over 20 years now. Great strings, best overall roundwounds I’ve tried. Last a reasonably long time with me, but I’m not too heavy on strings anyway to be fair. Usually buy them when on a deal somewhere, so not crazy expensive either. Strings and Beyond in the USA used to be cheapest for these, but haven’t bought any since before lockdown so not checked the prices. They do them in twin packs too which work out cheaper than buying single sets.

• Like 1

D'addario nickel roundwounds? Good strings, no brainer choice for me. I can't seem to get my preferred Hartke strings any more, D'addario nickels are the closest I've found to what I like. Never had any trouble with them. Buy with confidence.

• Like 2

I use EXL165 on my BB, mainly because they come in a twin pack which is quite good value.  The 165s have a 105 E string, whereas the 170s have a 100.  Apart from that I think they are the same; nickel round wounds.

I think they are fine, not better than the DR Sunbeams that I have on my other basses but not any worse either.  They are a bit zingy when new, more so I believe than the Sunbeams, but new strings are like that aren't they.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, neepheid said:

D'addario nickel roundwounds? Good strings, no brainer choice for me. I can't seem to get my preferred Hartke strings any more, D'addario nickels are the closest I've found to what I like. Never had any trouble with them. Buy with confidence.

In all the years I’ve used them, never had ONE duff string. Quality.

11 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I use EXL165 on my BB, mainly because they come in a twin pack which is quite good value.  The 165s have a 105 E string, whereas the 170s have a 100.  Apart from that I think they are the same; nickel round wounds.

When new my Yamaha had the EXL170 set (45•65•80•100) as stock. I found there was too much of a break in character between the mellow E–A and the lively D–G for me

I changed them for a EXL165 set (45•65•85•105) which I much preferred: the A and the D now seemed to have more in common

Both times the strings started off with a very bright top and mellowed out before long, losing the jangle without becoming characterless.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, neepheid said:

I wouldn't be surprised if D'Addario made them for Hartke. They make strings for a number of companies, including Fender. I like and use D'Addario. Their Chromes and Ernie Ball Cobalts are my favourites. They last well and feel nice under the fingers.

Just fitted these on the Yam bb424,they are a different animal to what I'm used to(Chromes Flat wound 50 to 105s) but I'm going to persevere simply because I want to learn to Slapa da Bass properly. Thanks for the replies ,very informative you guys.

My go to strings. If I'm feeling a bit tight I might buy some Fender strings, but from what I remember I think D'Addario make Fender strings. 

I tried Roto's for the first time in years a little while ago, absolutely hated them, so stuck D'Addario's back on. They're consistent and have a good tone.

One day I might try a different maker, who knows 

I like D'Addario strings. Even though I've been using mostly Bass Centre Elites for years, I usually get a set D'Addario if I need some strings in a hurry,  specifically the Pro Steels as I'm not a big fan of nickel strings. They're normally pretty easily available in most shops, aren't too expensive, sound good, and are quality.

D'Addario have been my absolutely go to for years - and their customer support, on the rarest occasions I have needed it has always been brilliant.

Oh and don't forget the Player's Circle. Every time you buy D'Addario strings, you earn points that can be put towards buying more strings or accessories. I've had quite a few "free" NYXL sets from the PC just for stringing up my other guitars!

https://www.daddario.com/players-circle/ 

• Like 1