Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics. Back to the dark side - Trini deluxe tribute with added ebony

Andyjr1515

And so to the headstock plate. 

Before gluing, a vital thing not to be missed - cutting the access to the trussrod:

Zrvqicol.jpg

The cunning plan is to use the cut out above as the cover, fitted flush with magnets:

uwNugeyl.jpg

5CcmvCpl.jpg

There will be a shallow scoop at the apex as a finger-nail access (this will be a snug fit!)

And no, you can't have too many clamps!

CG2uSKwl.jpg

The plate is presently oversize at the edges and will be sanded flush with the headstock once the glue has fully cured.

• Like 5

Steinberger holes drilled - so time for a gratuitous mock-up :)

GGS22q0l.jpg

When sanded and buffed, the fretboard and headstock plate will polish up to the same sort of satin finish as the ebony on the body. 

e3YKiNdl.jpg

The remaining visible neck laminates will darken with the application of the Tru-oil but will buff up to a similar sheen. They don't do the Steinbergers in nickel but I think they are far enough away from the main body.

Only a few jobs left on the basic build and then I can move onto the final sanding and finishing.

• Like 12

I have to say for the first time I wasn't sold on the earlier mockups - I didn't like the wood and the f-hole design, I found it too jarring. 

However, what do I know? In these latest pics it looks amazing - completely the right design choices and as ever stunning workmanship Andy!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jakester said:

I have to say for the first time I wasn't sold on the earlier mockups - I didn't like the wood and the f-hole design, I found it too jarring. 

However, what do I know? In these latest pics it looks amazing - completely the right design choices and as ever stunning workmanship Andy!

Thanks!

That said, it's not for the faint-hearted :D

• Haha 2

It's been a bit 'head down and battle on' with this one.

Added some luminlay side dots and top MoP dots to the fretboard:

0hkit8Hl.jpg

cxSZi46l.jpg

Made some knobs:

DIaY8ICl.jpg

F0ysdrxl.jpg

PLyJ4Egl.jpg

Fixed the magnets to the control hatch and the flush-fit truss rod cover:

wBPfLfAl.jpg

I'll be staining the spruce under the thumbnail cutaway so it blends in better:

FK0QZ4Kl.jpg

Note the headstock swifts also added.  The positioning was thought up by Jack and his good lady.  I think it's great :)

pu0dHFxl.jpg

HNkazayl.jpg

And that's the basic build done :)

Still to do is the final finishing, the fret ends/levelling/etc and then just the installation of the hardware and electrics :)

And so, just a couple of gratuitous mockups and then, sometime back end of next week, I should be able to show the completed guitar  :)

0y6GPHih.jpg

gLdad9kh.jpg

• Like 16

Main job over the weekend was fret ends/level/recrown/polish.

For levelling I use a  box section of aluminium with emery cloth double-side-taped to one side and use it as both the level gauge and leveller:

BoLcWGsl.jpg

For the fret ends and recrowning, I find the Chris Alsop crowning files just right...clearly designed by someone who's done the job himself...

Hz2mFp0l.jpg

In this shot I'm just holding it for the camera - in use it fits nicely in your palm giving great control, but is short and so it much easier to use as you get to the over-body section than the longer types of files.

I rough crown it using the diamond edge itself and then run through 400/800 emery and then 4000/6000/8000/12000 micro-mesh cloths using the Chris Alsop file as the former:

YB6fq4Wl.jpg

And - you'll have to forgive the appalling winter/full cloud cover light - done:

EfuAYmWl.jpg

For the back and sides, I've been doing the initial Tru-oil slurry and buff stages as I've been going along, which has given me the drying time while I've been able to be do other stuff on the finish list.  But on Sunday I was able to give it its final slurry with 2000 grit emery.  A break in the cloud gave me a rare bit of winter sunshine:

oorlN5Al.jpg

I've hand polished the fretboard and headstock ebony (again, using the micro-mesh, running progressively through the grades of 3200 to 12000) and will do a final buff later today.  For the main ebony panels, they need a final Mirka sand and then the same treatment.  All going well, both jobs will be able to be done by the close of play this evening.

I'm pretty sure that gets me to the stage of progressively positioning and fitting some of the hardware.  :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 11

And a little bit closer.

With a through-neck, there is a lot that has to be basically right so that everything lines up and the string geometry is in the right place.  And pretty much the only way of checking that in the end is to fit a set of strings to see if it does, indeed, line up.

So back on went the tuners and on went the vibrato working bits (I'll leave the nickel cover until I've finished messing about).  And, with a packer to lift the bridge temporarily to a clearance height, on went a 'sacrificial' set of strings (actually oddments of acoustic sets from my bits drawer).

And it lines up pretty well.

PHEW!  :)

PcXLTdNl.jpg

tUa5cpql.jpg

The other thing I've done is prepare an offcut of the body ebony to the same sanding stage and tried one side with Lord Sheraton beeswax balsam and the other side with a decent food-grade mineral oil (preferred to, say, lemon oil, due to the lack of acidity and other additives).

Both work fine and give the same satin hue.  Both feel great.  Bit of a toss of a coin, but I'm going with the mineral oil.  I'll apply it this evening and so tomorrow's photos should give a decent idea how it will turn out.

The other thing I can do with some strings on is work out - given the whammy bar - the accessibility of the knobs in the planned positions.

Still stuff to do - but it is looking like a guitar now  :)

• Like 10

Spent some time working out how to secure the pickups and achieve decent height adjustment.  I'm direct fixing them to the pocket bases with firm sponge underneath - a bit like bass guitar pickups tend to be done.

For the positioning of the bridge, I have strung it up with a 'proper' set of electric strings and packed up the top of the roller bridge to get it to the correct action height.  That way, I am able to position the optimum position and angle of the bridge, given the adjustment range of the saddles, giving plenty of further intonation adjustment for alternative string gauges or tunings.

vv2rHgNl.jpg

With a 6mm bradpoint through the two bridge adjuster holes, I have then marked the centre point for the bushes drill holes (11mm...that's meant a 24hr hour Amazon jobee for an 11mm bradpoint which should arrive later today)

And while I'm waiting for the bradpoint for the bridge bushes, on to one of the other last scary bits - drilling holes in the top for the controls!

F5Sex9sl.jpg

It will be fiddly enough as it is...but thank goodness for that hatch at the back!  :)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Spent some time working out how to secure the pickups and achieve decent height adjustment.  I'm direct fixing them to the pocket bases with firm sponge underneath - a bit like bass guitar pickups tend to be done.

For the positioning of the bridge, I have strung it up with a 'proper' set of electric strings and packed up the top of the roller bridge to get it to the correct action height.  That way, I am able to position the optimum position and angle of the bridge, given the adjustment range of the saddles, giving plenty of further intonation adjustment for alternative string gauges or tunings.

vv2rHgNl.jpg

With a 6mm bradpoint through the two bridge adjuster holes, I have then marked the centre point for the bushes drill holes (11mm...that's meant a 24hr hour Amazon jobee for an 11mm bradpoint which should arrive later today)

And while I'm waiting for the bradpoint for the bridge bushes, on to one of the other last scary bits - drilling holes in the top for the controls!

F5Sex9sl.jpg

It will be fiddly enough as it is...but thank goodness for that hatch at the back!  :)

You've got a poop hatch! ;)

• Haha 3

Dreadful light today so no good doing the 'finished pics' but, cosmetically, it's done.

Still got all the set up stuff to do and I need a tweak (or the OK to do it myself) from Marc at Mojo to get the phasing right for the 'both' pickups (they are braided earth, single conductor and so not as simple as swopping the wires round...it needs one of the magnets flipping).  Individually, by the way, the pickups sound GREAT!!!  

So we'll have to wait for a 'not having to have all the house lights on in the middle of the day' break in the cloud before the arty farty shots but here's a couple of poor light shots to be going on with :)     :

pK4FdEyh.jpg

2A4CDLDh.jpg 

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

As I said way earlier, I'm not a fan of the Triny Lopez shape, but here it looks really great with that reworked headstock.

Thanks to that, it has become a gorgeous looking instrument and the choice of woods is very wise.

Congratulations for this (usual) terrific work @Andyjr1515 !

Thank you for your kind words, @Hellzero      Much appreciated!   :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Stunning work, Andy.  I reckon it's your best yet.

Hold my beer…..😹

Jokes aside, it’s all about making the commissioning client happy. 
I’m still over the moon every time I take my Swift Lite out.

Not a great photo, from last night.

546F6330-8F0E-43BA-BFCC-89E983F510FD.jpeg

• Like 4

• Andyjr1515 changed the title to Finished Pics. Back to the dark side - Trini deluxe tribute with added ebony