Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics. Back to the dark side - Trini deluxe tribute with added ebony

Andyjr1515

Hi All

I know this should be posted in "Guitarchat" but, in spite of the recent upgrade, my virus checker still throws the most severe warnings it possesses when I try to log in to it.

So apologies to those who aren't fussed at following a guitar build thread, but I'll do a summary progress thread for those who might also delve from time to time into the dark side.

And for all...this is REALLY one I can't be sure of success.  So those who like watching car crash movies in (very) slow motion, I'm sure there'll be much to see along the way :D

It's a build I've been discussing with J for months.  It's a Trini Lopez deluxe semi - but with a difference.

The trini lopez deluxe that Gibson used to do was a florentine-horned and firebird headstocked variant of the ES335 semi acoustic.  Here's an example:

g2WwDY2l.jpg

And it's MASSIVE.

To scale, this is the size compared with a Les Paul:

egvlrNRl.jpg

J isn't after a clone.  He wants this kind of shape but is happy for me to experiment with the construction method (the original 335's are hollow-bodied with a solid through block to tame the feedback)

Oh...but he does want the top to be in ebony.

Let alone the weight, I wasn't sure you could GET ebony wide enough. 

And you can't, quite - because this is an exceptionally wide guitar.

But...hmmm...if I have an exposed multi-laminate neck (think Aria basses)...hmmm...this might work...

XVWeLGPl.jpg 

And yes - that is indeed some actual ebony, complete with an interesting sandy stripe.  Because I said 'yes' and bought it.

Now just got to work out how to make it!  :shok:

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Does anyone else see an eye in the right hand section, next to the centre block? It’s a bit creepy, but in a good way. O.o

Actually, creepy and secret ;) I've realised that this shot is of the back.  The proper bookmatch side has a ripple line but not the eye looking deep into your audiences souls.  It'll be staring forever at the dusty interior of a dubiously built semi acoustic :D

The basic construction (although I'm designing this a bit on the hoof, so it might change) is going to be a full length and visible multi-laminate neck and then an ebony-topped semi-acoustic wing stuck on either side.  The back and sides will be walnut, dished and bent as in an acoustic and topped by the ebony.

What I haven't decided yet is whether the open-box construction would be strong enough to resist any warp tendencies that might come from the ebony - which will be by far the most significant strength element in each wing.  So what is inside might change.  But, whatever, a mould is going to be needed.  Yes - I could make one, but buying one from radiusdish uk is a lot easier!

1O7kR3Zl.jpg

This is a 335 mould and so I will need to cut a block to be able to form the florentines.  

It'll be something like this:

u6vOZJol.jpg

The back walnut panels will be positioned again either side of the visible through-neck:

jvKxuKWl.jpg

And, at last, a piece of mahogany offcut that's been clogging up my bits box has found a use!

5WDjcMQl.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hi All

I know this should be posted in "Guitarchat" but, in spite of the recent upgrade, my virus checker still throws the most severe warnings it possesses when I try to log in to it.

So apologies to those who aren't fussed at following a guitar build thread, but I'll do a summary progress thread for those who might also delve from time to time into the dark side.

And for all...this is REALLY one I can't be sure of success.  So those who like watching car crash movies in (very) slow motion, I'm sure there'll be much to see along the way :D

It's a build I've been discussing with J for months.  It's a Trini Lopez deluxe semi - but with a difference.

The trini lopez deluxe that Gibson used to do was a florentine-horned and firebird headstocked variant of the ES335 semi acoustic.  Here's an example:

g2WwDY2l.jpg

And it's MASSIVE.

To scale, this is the size compared with a Les Paul:

egvlrNRl.jpg

J isn't after a clone.  He wants this kind of shape but is happy for me to experiment with the construction method (the original 335's are hollow-bodied with a solid through block to tame the feedback)

Oh...but he does want the top to be in ebony.

Let alone the weight, I wasn't sure you could GET ebony wide enough. 

And you can't, quite - because this is an exceptionally wide guitar.

But...hmmm...if I have an exposed multi-laminate neck (think Aria basses)...hmmm...this might work...

XVWeLGPl.jpg 

And yes - that is indeed some actual ebony, complete with an interesting sandy stripe.  Because I said 'yes' and bought it.

Now just got to work out how to make it!  :shok:

But Andy, it has too many (and much too weedy) strings; it’s a guitar   🤮…if this was a rodent it would be a black rat with ysenia pestis 

• Haha 1

I'll be using my battle-worn home-made 15 foot radius dish to form the back curve of the walnut.  I positioned the mould and made a couple of mahogany side pieces that will become the ends of the hollow wings and also the mating faces with the through-neck.  The side pieces clearly also need curved bottoms (no, @SpondonBassed.  Just no.  :D) These will also be used to press the thin walnut sheet down into the radius dish:

U9CBKndl.jpg

They will sit here, either side of the through-neck, glued to the walnut sheet backs with bent sides ( back and sides acoustic-guitar style) and flat-bottomed ebony panels on top:

TQdpjael.jpg

I will be adding some acoustic-like cross braces to hold the shape of each wing's back.

I also measured the depth of the intended chamber to ensure enough room for the jack and pots and then cut the tops of the two bearers to final size.  The dotted blue line on the mould sides represents where the tops of the sides will sit, with the flat ebony sitting on top of the bearers and sides, either side of the visible through neck:

DBBhxmfl.jpg

This isn't the neck (or planned lamination), but gives an idea of what the top will look like:

pHMfDUGl.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I just secretly hope that you won't reproduce that ugly 🤮 original Trini Lopez headstock. Please, tell me you're not doing it ! Please ! 🙏

Sorry...it's one of J's requirements.  A firebird type with steinberger 'modern banjo' tuners  :)

4 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I just secretly hope that you won't reproduce that ugly 🤮 original Trini Lopez headstock. Please, tell me you're not doing it ! Please ! 🙏

It doesn't look *that* bad. At least it's not a Thunderbird. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Si600 said:

No tuning keys? That's innovative. 

🍿

Those are the steinbergers.  They used to fit them on the low cost epiphone firebirds.  Now they cost a small fortune.  But they are the best tuners I've ever used.  Completely different mechanism to anything I've seen before ;)

And unprompted, J's asked for them to be fitted to this  :)

Vox do a model called the HDC77 which is similar:

vox-hdc-77_3.jpg

GC is safe BTW, I've used three browsers to access GC and they've all been fine.  Feel free to ignore the warnings. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how you approach the carved top.  Gibson use laminates which are vacuum glued into shape over a mould. 

• Like 2

• Andyjr1515 changed the title to Finished Pics. Back to the dark side - Trini deluxe tribute with added ebony