Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='560346' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:35 PM']I only "rag" on him because he presents himself as a bit of a twat. I'm in no position to comment on his ability. As a listener, I can comment on his musical ouput - although this will always be "just" my opinion, which isn't worth much.

I don't doubt he's an incredible musician. I also like the fact he's slightly outspoken. Good stuff. I'm sure he's a good laugh in the pub.

He has (like many others) flounced about on here a bit, hence I say he presents himself as a bit of a twat.

Are we suggesting that because he's a superior musician we can't comment on his general behaviour?

You pros talk about resilence and drive, but f*** mine, all it takes is someone to annoy you on a web forum and you f*** off back to talkbass.

Call me a weirdo, but I can't suck up to a guy just because he's an incredible musician. I'm great at making cups of tea, but that doesn't cut me any slack on the Twinnings forum.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='560346' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:35 PM']Call me a weirdo, but I can't suck up to a guy just because he's an incredible musician. I'm great at making cups of tea, but that doesn't cut me any slack on the Twinnings forum.[/quote]

Twinings.

Those typos are everywhere.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='560397' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:21 PM']Forgive my ignorance here, but I came to this thread later than most, and to save me trawling through the post, what exactly has Janek done or said to cause the adverse reaction?[/quote]

Don't. Just don't.

And everything has been cleansed now...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='560397' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:21 PM']Forgive my ignorance here, but I came to this thread later than most, and to save me trawling through the post, what exactly has Janek done or said to cause the adverse reaction?[/quote]

You're best off trawling through. It's the only way to get an accurate picture :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='560149' date='Aug 4 2009, 01:14 PM']Another random thought for BGM staff/contributors to consider:

It'd be nice if a consistent house style was applied to the chord symbols in the notated examples. For example, we've got Cm7 in Dave Marks' B-flat jazz blues bit, but Janek's got his minor chords notated as A-. Now, I know that A- = Am = Amin, but someone with less knowledge might assume -- because they're in the same magazine and they look like different things -- that they [i]are[/i] different things. Years of confusion ensue.

Personally, I'd go for m=minor, maj=major (seventh), dim=diminished (none of this circle stuff) etc. IME, triangles and minus signs are much more common in the US.[/quote]

I completely agree and have been pushing for this to happen for some a few years. I am also very keen that all music is notated at the same size and is beamed correctly. The editor is in the process of getting these things sorted and it's something that either he or myself will end up doing.

Stu

I thought Janek's column in this month's mag was excellent. It does seem that there is more substance to the magazine as a whole, and aside from the typos and alternate notation conventions, is one of the most interesting editions I've read in quite a while.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='560346' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:35 PM']Call me a weirdo, but I can't suck up to a guy just because he's an incredible musician. I'm great at making cups of tea, but that doesn't cut me any slack on the Twinnings forum.[/quote]

Hooray for the straight talk. You tell 'em Chief.