Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='449981' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:41 PM']I'm sure that even the contributers of BGM know its crap.[/quote]
After being taught by one...The person admitted..it is!

Satisfy the companies,its their piece of kit......they are paying you...you like it or we pull the advertising...its the same with music mags.

Its around this moment that you get a feeling akin to the moment you found out wrestleing was not real...dont worry,you get over it.

[quote name='silddx' post='449787' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:08 PM']They claim to be the UK's number one bass guitar magazine, which is true by dint of the fact it is the only UK bass guitar magazine.[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='449932' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:13 PM']They should get off their arses and do a proper job to gain some competitive advantage.[/quote]

True - you've got to be pretty motivated if it's only yourself you're in competition with.

There isn't much competition, I don't like the US&A offerings and it could be better - but it's still better than nothing. I've got no experience of what it takes to put a magazine together, and perhaps I'm just easy to please! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='449932' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:13 PM']OK, you agree with CK, well done.
My opinion is that BASS Guitar Magazine is not a bloody public service. They should get off their arses and do a proper job to gain some [b][size=5]competitive advantage[/size][/b].[/quote]

Feel free to buy any of the competitors they are competing with

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='449981' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:41 PM']As opposed to being biased towards everything? As it stands, they seem so scared of upsetting the manufactures, that their reviews have very little value.

Stuart Clayton once claimed on here that it's because most gear these days was fit for purpose. What a load of crap! If thats the case, then the bar has to be raised! "Fit for purpose" is clearly now the norm - review accordingly!

I'm sure that even the contributers of BGM know its crap.[/quote]
I don't think there's really such thing as a bad bass these days, at least not above the £200 price bracket. And when you're paying a lot of money for one, it's not going to have many factory defects (unless it's a fender) and it will be fit for SOMEONE out there. I'm not a fan of fender jazzes partiocularly, but i know a lot of people like them.

[quote name='Hamster' post='450021' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:06 PM']True - you've got to be pretty motivated if it's only yourself you're in competition with.[/quote]

Erm, sorry H, that's a completely vacuous statement and you are fully aware of that. Just sounded quite funny at the time you thought of it didn't it. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='450036' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:13 PM']Feel free to buy any of the competitors they are competing with[/quote]

D'you know what? I do. I buy Guitar Magazine and Guitar Buyer. I am quite happy to read three guitar reviews to one bass review, because most of the time they are of very high quality opinion backed up by years of experience in the field of comparison. One of their bass reviews is worth a whole issue of BGM's puerile, worthless reviewing. I get enough information from GM, GB and on here to satisfy me.

I enjoy the writing styles in both and the interviews are much more penetrating - generally. And I like something music related to read on the khazi, something that doesn't make me feel like I'm sitting on a potty with the KanDoo next to me and an unlocked door.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='450043' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:18 PM']Erm, sorry H, that's a completely vacuous statement and you are fully aware of that. Just sounded quite funny at the time you thought of it didn't it. :)[/quote]

Erm, sorry s, but it's not. It's the same as me constantly trying to improve my jogging time around a 5 mile lake in competition against myself. I'm not trying to beat anyone - just improve myself.

That's how I meant it :rolleyes:

They do have real problems getting stuff for review; which is why the same stuff keeps appearing.

Dont think they will be getting anymore of EBS freaks GB's either after the imaginary blemishes in the finish, and spending more time slagging off the extra's Russ chose as a customer than they did reviewing other aspects of the bass. The back of the Rumour with the laser cut covers is absolutely stunning and it was the only bass they did not show the back of.

Its not great but it is all we have got, so use it or lose it. Perhaps the smart arses can publish a rival to give them some competition.

They didn't strike me as slagging off the extras though. There was a passing comment on how expensive it had turned out and one guy said he wouldn't personally bother with the bells and whistles, but there wasn't much else in a -ve vein, unless I've missed summat? And they did give the GB a million marks out of 50 at the end of the day.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='450123' date='Mar 30 2009, 11:44 PM']Its not great but it is all we have got, so use it or lose it. Perhaps the smart arses can publish a rival to give them some competition.[/quote]

I suppose I have little choice but to infer from this that I am one of the smart arses you refer to.

Let me ask you this, next time you complain about the level of moderation on this 'ere forum, and how it's wrong what they do, are you going to set up a bass forum of your own, to give 'em a bit of competition?

[quote name='silddx' post='450142' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:05 AM']I suppose I have little choice but to infer from this that I am one of the smart arses you refer to.

Let me ask you this, next time you complain about the level of moderation on this 'ere forum, and how it's wrong what they do, are you going to set up a bass forum of your own, to give 'em a bit of competition?[/quote]

ZING! :)

I've spoken to two people involved with the magazine.....I speak as I find, the two guys in question are very helpful, very approachable people. Agree with ferret, use it or lose it. It's now monthly, that's always a plus for my money.

[quote name='Jase' post='450158' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:22 AM']I've spoken to two people involved with the magazine.....I speak as I find, the two guys in question are very helpful, very approachable people.[/quote]

Super! Would you pay them to build you a two bedroomed bungalow with a small conservatory?

I get it when I can, as it's nice to have a British take on all things bass. But, most of the time, the magazine reads like one long press release with a few (mostly lacklustre) interviews and wholly uninformative reviews - take the issue with the Enfield bass on the cover. I'm very curious about the Enfields, but am not in a position to try one out right now (stuck in the wrong country, alas). I read the review wanting to know what it sounded like, how good were its respective J/P/MM tones? Nothing. The tone hardly got any mention, other than it was "versatile". No further details. One of the main features of the Enfield range is its supposed ability to authentically ape J/P/MM tones, so you think it'd deserve a mention. Also, the issue that reviewed the new Line 6 amps (might have been the same issue) - all it said about the tones available is that "they're all usable". Nothing about how well it apes an SVT, a B-15, or anything like that. That's what Line 6 stuff is for!

You know, you think they might mention all the stuff people might actually want to know. :)

They have published some good reviews and interviews in their time, but they're few and far between, and I find the content patchy at best. And, I hate to say it, but "Bassist", back in the day, was much better.

[quote name='Russ' post='450171' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:41 AM']I read the review wanting to know what it sounded like, how good were its respective J/P/MM tones? Nothing. The tone hardly got any mention, other than it was "versatile". No further details. One of the main features of the Enfield range is its supposed ability to authentically ape J/P/MM tones, so you think it'd deserve a mention.[/quote]

I believe the tone is "thorough", like the Vigier.

[i][b]EDIT: [/b][/i]I just checked and sorry, it's the low B on the Vigier whose notes are "[b]well defined and thorough[/b]". That's what I like about my $$, the notes are "[b]thorough[/b]". I've always said that. I've always wanted "[b]thorough[/b]" notes. My singer said to me in the studio yesterday that my notes were really "[b]thorough[/b]", I was well chuffed and drank a bottle of pop to celebrate. In fact I've just traded my Fender Jazz Special (plus cash) for Alex's Warwick Fortress 5 fretless on here. Alex, the notes on that Fortress had better be "[b]thorough[/b]", or yer 'avin the bugger back.

Edited by silddx

Right I'm off to bed. I need a thorough night's sleep. See you in the morning, when, I hope, comrade Clayton will join in the discussion so we can encourage Bass Ferret to set up a new and thorough British government due to our dissatisfaction with the current one.

Good night.
xXx :wub:

[quote name='silddx' post='450192' date='Mar 31 2009, 01:22 AM']Right I'm off to bed. I need a thorough night's sleep. See you in the morning, when, I hope, comrade Clayton will join in the discussion so we can encourage Bass Ferret to set up a new and thorough British government due to our dissatisfaction with the current one.

Good night.
xXx :wub:[/quote]

I've been reading... I just don't really know what I can add really. Some people don't like the mag. Some people do. I don't think that will ever change.

It could be worse. We could have just released a green bass with a bright orange scratchplate. ;-)

Stu