Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='Clarky' post='1045816' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:22 PM']Sense of humour failure Doddy?[/quote]

Long few days.

I've just read so many things where people slag Jeff Berlin off based on his image (or lack of),that I'm not quite sure if it's
in jest or not.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1045883' date='Dec 3 2010, 01:11 AM']Long few days.

I've just read so many things where people slag Jeff Berlin off based on his image (or lack of),that I'm not quite sure if it's
in jest or not.[/quote]
I doubt it's in jest, Paul. He looks ridiculous :)

• 1 month later...

Just to add to the many, many negative comments about BGM's subscription department, I recently decided to ignore the numerous comments on this thread about the subscription and took the plunge. I buy the magazine every month so why not, I thought!?

I placed the order on December 18th to start on issue 62. I then saw it in my local shop on the 22nd. I phoned last week & promised a call back I never got. So I phoned today & was told my order was "yet to be processed". I know we've had Xmas (the bad weather won't affect an unprocessed order though) but thought that was pretty poor. I've arranged for it to kick in from issue 63 now & bought 62 locally. Not a great start.

I've said it before & I'll say it again - I miss Bassist!

+1 on the crap reviews. When BGM kicked off I really though they improved the reviews compared to Bassist. But they've steadily gone downhill. The latest review of the Reflex tells me nowt. Oh and while I'm putting pen to paper - what's with the editors bit? Its just another contents page. I know the USA mag Bass Pamphlet used to get a bit up their own in the editorial but at least they tried to say something.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1077466' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:19 PM']I've said it before & I'll say it again - I miss Bassist![/quote]

I wasnt playing bass when that magazine was out. Has anyone out there got one or two old ones to spare so i can see what it was like. Ill pay for postage & packing ?

ps: re: Jeff Berlin. Actually I couldnt tell if Victor Bailey was doing a subltle pisstake of jeff berlin on stage at the last bass day. When he talked about guys who were wizzards on the bass as far as technique were concerned but had 'no groove' whatsoever!

Edited by daz

Yeah I didn't really know of Scott Thunes except as a name (I'm not a Zappa fan) but he makes really good reading. Check out his website, the blog is really hysterical, he writes like he speaks. Can't remember if it was the blog or the interview, but he paints "the drummer" in a bad light, made worse by not actually naming him, class! I believe it was Chad Wackerman.

Not a bad issue, but I'm not overly keen on the Bass Bites (I think it's called that) section, 2 or more pages on players I don't know, care about, or will probably never hear of again (sorry if this is or has been any BCer, nothing personal) and I've previously moaned about the interminable blog from the scholarship winners, it's always the same. The best one of that series was the woman who won the first one, she was witty and informative without the usual "this workshop does this, it's great/a real challenge/fun" snore.

Is it me or are BGM using thinner paper on this issue, not a moan, just an observation?

[quote name='daz' post='1077508' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:53 PM']ps: re: Jeff Berlin. Actually I couldnt tell if Victor Bailey was doing a subltle pisstake of jeff berlin on stage at the last bass day. When he talked about guys who were wizzards on the bass as far as technique were concerned but had 'no groove' whatsoever![/quote]

That could be a reference to an number of players.I'd doubt that it was a jibe at Jeff Berlin.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1077518' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:59 PM']Yeah I didn't really know of Scott Thunes except as a name (I'm not a Zappa fan) but he makes really good reading. Check out his website, the blog is really hysterical, he writes like he speaks. Can't remember if it was the blog or the interview, but he paints "the drummer" in a bad light, made worse by not actually naming him, class! I believe it was Chad Wackerman.[/quote]

Apparently though(I seem to remember),Chad Wackerman was one of only two members of the '88 band who got on with Thunes-despite Thunes making him
cry once. The other was Mike Keneally.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1077466' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:19 PM']Just to add to the many, many negative comments about BGM's subscription department, I recently decided to ignore the numerous comments on this thread about the subscription and took the plunge. I buy the magazine every month so why not, I thought!?

I placed the order on December 18th to start on issue 62. I then saw it in my local shop on the 22nd. I phoned last week & promised a call back I never got. So I phoned today & was told my order was "yet to be processed". I know we've had Xmas (the bad weather won't affect an unprocessed order though) but thought that was pretty poor. I've arranged for it to kick in from issue 63 now & bought 62 locally. Not a great start.

I've said it before & I'll say it again - I miss Bassist![/quote]

This the third month in a row my subscription has been late. Apparently posted on the 20th of December. They have extended my subscription for an extra two months as compensation but after that I'll just buy it from Smiths, where the latest copy has been sitting for almost 2 weeks.

Issue 62, page 70! Alex's column. There's a graph missing with a badly cropped random photo in its place and the graphs that are there don't have their axes labelled. Hopeless. Great column this month though and I'm definitely trying the guitar combo hint this Friday and I know it'll cost me that pint!

[quote name='daz' post='1077508' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:53 PM']ps: re: Jeff Berlin. Actually I couldnt tell if Victor Bailey was doing a subltle pisstake of jeff berlin on stage at the last bass day. When he talked about guys who were wizzards on the bass as far as technique were concerned but had 'no groove' whatsoever![/quote]

Victor Bailey has no room to badmouth Jeff, he's done some bloody awful things in his time and is a byword for mediocrity!

This has to be one of the most painful things I've ever heard, and I always think of this particular tune when I see "bad covers" threads.

And here is a particularly bad bass solo. I know he had massive shoes to to fill after Jaco but this really is some awful, sloppy and aimless soloing. I'd like to say the start is a particular low point but there are howlers everywhere. I sometimes wonder why Joe Zawinul picked him to replace Jaco. He started off as a bad Jaco clone (in a way) and there were so many fantastic players around at the time. Maybe Joe didn't want to have to share the stage with another "big" bassist (his clashes of ego with Jaco are well documented), especially since Wayne Shorter seemed to have disappeared from Weather Report in the 80's!

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1077821' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:27 PM']And here is a particularly bad bass solo. I know he had massive shoes to to fill after Jaco but this really is some awful, sloppy and aimless soloing. I'd like to say the start is a particular low point but there are howlers everywhere. I sometimes wonder why Joe Zawinul picked him to replace Jaco. He started off as a bad Jaco clone (in a way) and there were so many fantastic players around at the time. Maybe Joe didn't want to have to share the stage with another "big" bassist (his clashes of ego with Jaco are well documented), especially since Wayne Shorter seemed to have disappeared from Weather Report in the 80's!

[/quote]

Victor Bailey Shreds!!

I've always quite liked his playing,particularly on the album 'Domino Theory' and especially the track 'D Flat Waltz',but
that solo was nasty.
'Do You Know Who?' is the track on 'Low Blow' that I always skip over.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1077886' date='Jan 4 2011, 09:06 PM']Victor Bailey Shreds!!

I've always quite liked his playing,particularly on the album 'Domino Theory' and especially the track 'D Flat Waltz',but
that solo was nasty.
'Do You Know Who?' is the track on 'Low Blow' that I always skip over.[/quote]

We all have our off days. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1077613' date='Jan 4 2011, 06:17 PM']Apparently though(I seem to remember),Chad Wackerman was one of only two members of the '88 band who got on with Thunes-despite Thunes making him
cry once.[/quote]
Brilliant, that made me laugh, make your drummer cry and show him whose boss (well Thunes was the Clonemeister)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1077613' date='Jan 4 2011, 06:17 PM']The other was Mike Keneally.[/quote]
From what I have observed Keneally is as mad as a hat stand so was possibly immune to Thunes' personality. Bloody good guitarist though.

I've been getting BGM since May when my wife bought me a subscription for my birthday (which was nice). I look forward to it arriving, but it's more of a 'distraction' than anything else. I was particularly keen to read the Scott Thunes interview, as I'm quite a big Zappa fan - mine hasn't arrived yet. Bummer - the one article that they print that actually has me counting down the days...

[quote name='silddx' post='1077496' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:45 PM']Despite the sh*t reviews and gear ratings, I LOVE the Scott Thunes interview in the latest one. Much more interesting than the average bassist interview. Thanks so much for that, Mike![/quote]

+1. The interview was a great read.

[quote name='Sean' post='1077806' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:19 PM']Issue 62, page 70! Alex's column. There's a graph missing with a badly cropped random photo in its place and the graphs that are there don't have their axes labelled. Hopeless.[/quote]

I just looked at that page. What a stupid error to make. There are many postings on this thread that show up the editing errors. I almost feel like emailing them. To be fair I think it is pretty obvious from Alex's article that the horizontal axis is Hertz and the vertical axis is Decibels?

I think they still have too many high end equipment reviews, and I am getting board at yet another bass scholarship article. They must have an advertising deal going with the institute or something?

Edited by mep

I'm generally happy with the reviews (although if I see the phrase "dialled in" used once more, I shall scream). And unlike a lot of people, I like the idea of interviews with lesser known players -- I'd far rather see that than yet another interview with Stuart Zender.
Proofreading still requires major attention though. Far too many elementary cockups are still getting through.