Why become a member? ×

Weight

Rich

In recent times I have developed shoulder and neck problems to go along with my glass back. I play at home most of the time whilst seated but still use a strap. I recently had a very nice Fender Jazz Ultra but it felt like a lump of lead and several basses later finally found the Sandberg Superlight models. Mine is a TM so there is loads of tonal variation and the weight is just over 6 pounds. This seems like a more sensible way forward for me. The body wood is paulownia which originates from Spain and has amazing resonance. So far so good. 

Edited by MNY
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, MNY said:

In recent times I have developed shoulder and neck problems to go along with my glass back. I play at home most of the time whilst seated but still use a strap. I recently had a very nice Fender Jazz Ultra but it felt like a lump of lead and several basses later finally found the Sandberg Superlight models. Mine is a TM so there is loads of tonal variation and the weight is just over 6 pounds. This seems like a more sensible way forward for me. The body wood is paulownia which originates from Spain and is has amazing resonance. So far so good. 

Alan of ACG proposed Paulownia for the body of my last build. It was a great choice looks and feels fantastic & only 6.4lb

DSC04815.thumb.jpg.77be2700fb979fb1a3460dd5283186de.jpgDSC04808.thumb.jpg.45e9e689aa089d2e0d359632c6d96a25.jpgDSC04777.thumb.jpg.3e2b80d989c7b3bd4709f20d27800bd7.jpg

• Like 4

The heaviest bass I own is a MIM Jazz, which is 4.5kg, if I can trust my scales.  I'm comfortable with that over my shoulder for 3 hours at a rehearsal.  I have 4" Pinegrove straps for my basses, they make a difference.

The Sweetwater site lists the weight of the basses they sell, if they are selling more than one identical bass.  Its surprising just how much the weight of identical basses can differ.

Below is a link to their Olympic white G&L tribute 2000s, the heaviest is 2lb 3oz heavier than the lightest!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L2KTBOW--g-and-l-tribute-l-2000-electric-bass-olympic-white

This is why I won't buy a bass blind, I want to feel it over my shoulder.

I had a '78 American P back in the 90's. It weighed in at 15lbs. Playing 3 sets a night, 4-5 days a week, it exacerbated an RSI caused by the awful neck, and pretty soon I was having to spend a large chunk of my earnings on acupuncture and other treatments. Changed to a 9lb MIJ Jazz and all was well. Weight and balance is a very important factor to me, so I too baulk at buying blind.

• Like 1

I just weighed my 2004 SR5 and it weighs 9lb 12oz which is a lot more than I thought. On a strap however (and in hand too) it feels the same, if not lighter than my black P Bass which is 1/2lb lighter. 

I guess a lot of the effects of weight really do depend on ergonomics, the type of strap and the height you wear it. 

1E23C3A1-E7DC-4796-B805-B30FCD3C9171.jpeg

• Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 14:08, Rich said:

Just out of idle curiosity, I've just filled a bored moment by weighing my working basses:

Ibanez BTB six - 10lbs 6oz

Sire V7 five - 10 3

P bitsa - 10 3

Wal Pro 2E - 10 2

ska Jazz - 10 1

Shuker five - 9 7

Thunder 1A - 9 7

fretless Ray - 8 14

Addition to the above:

Spector Q4 - 8lbs 2oz

And this is why it is now my go-to gigging 4 string. :D  That and the fact that it sounds incredible, of course. :lol: 

zombiethread2.jpg.6c7bacd3213a7634413aa6ac0fa5c08f.jpg

• Like 1