Why become a member? ×

Weight

Rich

I put my effing back out again yesterday. At the gig, an hour before I was due to play!!

I was playing at a festival in London, back line provided, so I travelled up by train, carrying my bass on my back. I was feeling pretty uncomfortable by the time I got there. I went back stage to put the gig bag down and as soon as I leaned over, zap, it went. I spent the rest of the day in agony and only just about managed to play!!

I have a rehearsal and 2 gigs next week and I can't even stand up right now!! I need a new bass, one that will blow away in the wind if it's not tied down. I don't even care what it sounds like, it just has to be the lowest weight I can find. Anyone selling a 2lb bass?

Do GR make basses?

Edited by chris_b
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I put my effing back out again yesterday. At the gig, an hour before I was due to play!!

I was playing at a festival in London, back line provided, so I travelled up by train, carrying my bass on my back. I was feeling pretty uncomfortable by the time I got there. I went back stage to put the gig bag down and as soon as I leaned over, zap, it went. I spent the rest of the day in agony and only just about managed to play!!

I have a rehearsal and 2 gigs next week and I can't even stand up right now!! I need a new bass, one that will blow away in the wind if it's not tied down. I don't even care what it sounds like, it just has to be the lowest weight I can find. Anyone selling a 2lb bass?

Do GR make basses?

If you can't even stand right now, a 0lb bass isn't going to help.  Sit down.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Below that weight, I have a couple of NAMM Stingrays that are both 10.5 lbs give or take a couple of ounces

IMG_0809.thumb.JPG.8dea4f0965c14d87ba499148a1231126.JPG

The rest of my basses are in what I would class as the generally acceptable 8/9 lb weight bracket.

For me balance is more important than weight as I count myself fortunate in not having any issues with my back.

Wow 😳 I knew you had one of these - when did the other turn up?? As I’ve said before, if you ever think of selling one……(now you have two of them 😏)

This is my lightest bass - I don’t know the exact weight but it’s near as damn it 8 lbs. I agree re heavier basses - as long as they balance they’re fine with me (although I don’t have a bad back - just advancing years)!!

FEC3D511-2DA2-4FD2-B5D1-7D57F6D17240.thumb.jpeg.ef861f239266abf821b09359199aad62.jpeg

21E57548-259A-499E-A1F0-7867180E3BBA.thumb.jpeg.fa5b574d47d580ef002b42e0ae3653b6.jpeg

• Like 2

I only know the weight of my F Bass because it was on the spec sheet (9lb 10oz), the rest of my basses I haven't got a 

clue.

The only time weight has been an issue was when I was playing 3-5 sets a night, every night, with my Warwick Streamer 5 string. It started to get tiring on the shoulder when I was playing that much, but it was easily sorted with the purchase of a Gruv Gear Duo Strap. It distributed the weight over both shoulders, and took away any strain that was starting to appear.

I seem to be in a Basschat minority, in that I'm not a huge fan of super light instruments and prefer a slightly heavier bass with a quality strap to take the weight.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Wow 😳 I knew you had one of these - when did the other turn up?? As I’ve said before, if you ever think of selling one……(now you have two of them 😏)

This is my lightest bass - I don’t know the exact weight but it’s near as damn it 8 lbs. I agree re heavier basses - as long as they balance they’re fine with me (although I don’t have a bad back - just advancing years)!!

21E57548-259A-499E-A1F0-7867180E3BBA.thumb.jpeg.fa5b574d47d580ef002b42e0ae3653b6.jpeg

#2 turned up recently. Another case queen. You're on the list of interested parties 👍.

That TC looks great. I hope you're enjoying it.

Just looked at that Kingpin at Bass Direct. Bit pricey, but looks lovely.

Decent weight for an HH as well at 8lb 6oz.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Do GR make basses?

Spectorcore bass - weigh a little over the weight of an atom - maybe two.

Actually the 5er comes in at: Weight: 8lb 4oz/3.7kg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

#2 turned up recently. Another case queen. You're on the list of interested parties 👍.

That TC looks great. I hope you're enjoying it.

Just looked at that Kingpin at Bass Direct. Bit pricey, but looks lovely.

Decent weight for an HH as well at 8lb 6oz.

👍 yeah I’d probably be interested - have another bass on order currently……

The TC is really nice and with passive electronics, which are really good. The Kingpin is nice (but about £700 more than if you bought it on line from EBMM - it’s supposed to be an on line exclusive!!!) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Do GR make basses?

Maybe worth giving a try to the Sandberg Super Light series at around 3 kilos for a 4 strings bass.

Or if you like the shape, the BassLab basses are in the same weight bracket.

The Ibanez AFR (Affirma) series (original and reissue) are also around 3 kilos.

The Leduc U-Basse fully passive is even lower at less than 3 kilos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doddy said:

I only know the weight of my F Bass because it was on the spec sheet (9lb 10oz), the rest of my basses I haven't got a 

clue.

The only time weight has been an issue was when I was playing 3-5 sets a night, every night, with my Warwick Streamer 5 string. It started to get tiring on the shoulder when I was playing that much, but it was easily sorted with the purchase of a Gruv Gear Duo Strap. It distributed the weight over both shoulders, and took away any strain that was starting to appear.

I seem to be in a Basschat minority, in that I'm not a huge fan of super light instruments and prefer a slightly heavier bass with a quality strap to take the weight.

That may be because you’re in the minority of not having a completely shot back. 😉 If you have no idea of the pain that you can suffer, never mind the effect on other bodily functions, you’re very, very, very lucky. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doddy said:

I'll join you in this minority.

Tried light weight basses before, Danelectros and a Paulownia build. They did not sit well with me.

Anything over 9lb suits me just fine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

I can recommend taking a £200 punt on an Ibanez GSR200B - mine is 2.85kg (just below 6lb 5oz says google) and it's a compact and comfy shape, has a standard long scale and normal-feeling nut width, balances well, has good fretwork, decent hardware where it matters, functional electronics (the 'dynamix' pup covers feel plasticky but the soldering is neat and it sounds like a bass) and the 'phat' active eq knob that everybody hates is actually alright if you use it more like salt instead of gravy. The factory strings are of course tragic, the finish is uninspiring brown, and the knobs are plastic ...but they work and they're lighter than metal ones!

Sandberg SLs are also good, but ironically heavier at 3kg and certainly not £200 new just to get out of a hole.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

If you can't even stand right now, a 0lb bass isn't going to help.  Sit down.

Good advice. I'll be able to sit down for the rehearsal and first gig. Maybe not for the second gig, though. We'll have to see.

49 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

You've the older MIJ blue sparkle Steve Harris, yes? I wonder how much on top of your 10.6 lbs the current white-painted maple model would weigh.

Yep a 2010 Blue Sparkle. I can't really imagine how they could make it any heavier...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

" 🎵 ... How strange the change

To Maple from Alder ... 🎶 "

My SH usually weighs a few oz less, as it wears an anodised gold plate most of the time, rather than the chromed one.
But recently I've been listening to a fair bit of Maiden, so the chrome one is back on... for now

I’m noticing weight more than I used to. I had a disk replaced in my neck a while back and have a dodgy lower back (thanks Mesa Boogie) so I think I’m more sensitive to how a bass hangs or sits than the weight as such. 

SB1 is 8.8lb and feels very comfortable; the playing position and way it wraps around me. The Celinder is a tad heavier but it feels so slick and has a thinner body so it melts away. The Stingray is a slab, a bit heavier again (but very light by pre EB slab body samtandards), and the playing position feels great - it wouldn’t be as comfortable if the pickup/thumb rest was further forward for example. The Vigier is very light and ergonomically perfect; that or I’ve moulded around it over the years!!

13 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Sorry, replied while at a dinner party In a gazebo while the Manchester “summer” was in full swing.

I didn’t think it was smartarsey mate at all. Apologies if my reply seemed terse - was trying to remain interested in the 100th time I’ve heard an anecdote about a 12 hour flight delay to a funeral in Ireland and the hilarious scramble to get there in time to find it was the next day…🙄

My wife tells it well, but even this time she looked pained as Mother in law pushed her to tell it again

That’s why you compiled a list of every bass you’ve ever owned - perfect for forcing on people at parties:

”wow, that’s crazy! You want to hear something else weird? See that Yamaha BB over there?….”

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ped said:

I’m noticing weight more than I used to. I had a disk replaced in my neck a while back and have a dodgy lower back (thanks Mesa Boogie) so I think I’m more sensitive to how a bass hangs or sits than the weight as such. 

SB1 is 8.8lb and feels very comfortable; the playing position and way it wraps around me. The Celinder is a tad heavier but it feels so slick and has a thinner body so it melts away. The Stingray is a slab, a bit heavier again (but very light by pre EB slab body samtandards), and the playing position feels great - it wouldn’t be as comfortable if the pickup/thumb rest was further forward for example. The Vigier is very light and ergonomically perfect; that or I’ve moulded around it over the years!!

I think that's a very good point: some basses are ergonomically better at weighing a bit more for me too. For example, a heavy jazz bass feels a lot more uncomfortable than a SR5 for me because of how they fit with my body. 

I think it may be that I wear a 5 string higher on a strap than I do a 4 string and that seems to alleviate some of the discomfort for some reason. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bartelby said:

My SH usually weighs a few oz less, as it wears an anodised gold plate most of the time, rather than the chromed one.
But recently I've been listening to a fair bit of Maiden, so the chrome one is back on... for now

I've just been searching for reports on the later white over maple version and found someone on TB saying, "When I bought mine from Sweetwater, they had 6 in stock. All 6 of them weighed between 11.5 – 12.5 lbs."