Why become a member? ×

Fender precision bass 1975?

Friskydingo

This bass has come from my wife's step dad, who brought it in 75 or 77. Just having a play on it now and wow its so smooth and set up well. Only needs a clean up. 

I found the patent numbers on the head stock 2,573,254 and a number 699813 on the plate connecting the neck and body. Can't find model number. Can you guys help me? 

IMG_20210807_132854.jpg

IMG_20210807_132914.jpg

IMG_20210807_132941.jpg

• Like 3

Looks good to me. The serial number suggests a late 'TV' logo Precision bass. My first Precision was a '75 s/n 616482 IIRC. Pickups have been replaced and it may be active so there might be a 9v battery in there somewhere. 

• Like 1

Nice one. I have a 74 which looks pretty much the same, including this strange extra screw on the pickguard (above the G string, between pickup and neck).

According to Fender Guitars Serial Number Decoder - GuitarInsite

yours is a 75 or 76:

Production year: 1975 or 1976
Made in Fullerton, USA

You can also check the pots to see if they are from around that time
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Of course the real way to check whether a Precision is genuine mid-70s isn't to find the receipt, it's to discover that it weighs 11 lbs.

🤨

Mine is from 74 and is pretty light: 3.8kg/8lb 7oz. Maybe things got heavier from 75 onwards? 

• Like 1

It would be worth getting it authenticated by a reputable person/shop , they can check the neck stamp, pot dates and wiring,  pickups, bridge, etc, and take lots of pictures for you and provide you with the paperwork, which would help you value and sell it, or if your going to keep it it’s nice to know what you’ve got .  I nearly bought a 66 jazz a few weeks ago and the guy sent me about 50 pics which was fantastic 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

You might be right. I don’t have a Precision to compare and don’t know anyone who has one. 

There's a first for everything! 

I always find Jazz bodies a bit bigger and as a result, often heavier too. That's just my opinion but looking s photos they do seem to be a bit larger.