Why become a member? ×

More money than sense?

Puzzler

Maybe I'm crazy but in for a penny, in for a pound.

Always wanted to learn Bass guitar, so after 50 years of deliberating I've finally decided to give it a go.

As a beginner I spent hours watching YouTube reviews and reading up on what bass would be best for a newbie and came to the conclusion that a short scale would be a good place to start. 

Being a leftie and due to the apparent lack of stock at all the major guitar stores, I was really struggling to find anything suitable. 

Finally came across this stunning secondhand Sandberg California Heavy Aged VT4 medium scale (32") and thought sod it, hopefully I'll be playing for the rest of my life so I took the plunge.

Obviously, I'll probably never be able to do it justice, but at least I can just look at it and admire the looks.

So the journey starts, signed up to TalkingBass and looking forward to many happy years of enjoyment. 

(If in 6 months time you spot this in the for sale forum, you'll know it didn't pan out as planned) 

Martin.

20210807_102130.jpg

Edited by Puzzler
  • Like 6

there's not enough lefties in the world so welcome, my advice for what it's worth is to start with something really simple just to get a feel for it and get your left hand (in our Case) moving freely without thinking about it, whether with a pick or fingers, my simple was Blitzkrieg Bop, of course you could be further on then this already, in which case ignore me

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Puzzler said:

Obviously, I'll probably never be able to do it justice,

Morning @Puzzler

No idea why you think this. When we all started we were as bad as you - even the top pros. 

If you're committed you'll make great progress - signing up to TalkingBass is a good start. Mark is a great tutor - and remember "Practice makes perfect". 

• Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with a Sandberg @Puzzler cracking basses, got two myself!  Would also suggest to have a lesson, gives good grounding and someone to "bounce off".  I will never do my basses justice so don't worry about that!  Great advice here from the members as well.  Welcome and have fun........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:crigon_04:

A very cool bass you have there, it certainly won't hold you back and it should encourage you to pick it up more often (an often overlooked criteria when it come to a first instrument). As you'll know, Brighton has a very vibrant music scene. As things start to open up more, don't be afraid to get stuck in down there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

A decent instrument indeed!

Lots of people recommend TalkingBass, and for good reason. Can I also suggest StudyBass.com, and Scotts Bass Lessons. The former is free, VERY well structured, and is excellent for a complete newbie,  as I was three years ago. It covers essentials like not injuring yourself, setting up, then gets going. Scott Devine is marmite, but his paid stuff is about £90 for the year and I find it excellent. 

Best of all, find a tutor and/or people to play with 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! Nice Bass, I've got a Sandberg California and in hindsight it would have saved me a fair bit of ££ and faff if I'd have just got it as my first Bass rather than building up to it.

Like others have said - it's probably worth getting a few face-to-face lessons booked in. I only booked in for four but found them useful after a few months of playing because the tutor picked up on some technique issues like the fact I was doing unintentional string bends so I got rid of that before it became too much of a habit. Watching online tutorials wouldn't have pointed that out to me - I guess I would have realised eventually but those few lessons probably saved me a lot of time. He also recommended that I always play to a metronome or beat, which I think was good advice.

• Thanks 1