Why become a member? ×

Advice needed: Gigging, vaccination status and tests

Beedster

7 hours ago, E sharp said:

To insist on the band being double jabbed , but then make no mention about the staff , or the guests , is just mental - in my opinion . 

The only reason I didn't know about the situation for staff and guests is because it wasn't relevant. The venue asked the bandleader if we were vaccinated, and the bandleader asked me. At no point did I feel the need to ask about the rest of the staff.

• Like 1

Anyone who is required to show they are double vaccinated, but doesn't own a smartphone or doesn't want to install the app or whatever can get their NHS vaccine certificate here:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

This is also valid for international travel, the little card one gets after being injected is not regarded as proof.

Or get this in addition to the app and keep it in your gig bag!

- removed text to keep this politics free -

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dand666 said:

So last nights venue they did check. But we just brought the flow tests with us and they said it’s fine. 

pointless really as they could’ve been old flow tests or not even taken by us!

so yeah a load of bollox really. 

It's just people covering their backs, in this compensation culture age we live in who can blame them?

• Like 1

Did an outdoor venue, attached to a club yesterday. Mainly a young audience, obviously not too many issue for us as it was on a truck, but the bar was in the building, lots of people mingling and packed in without a mask in sight. I decided to skip on the bar!

Don't think they were asking for tests!

1 hour ago, dand666 said:

So last nights venue they did check. But we just brought the flow tests with us and they said it’s fine. 

pointless really as they could’ve been old flow tests or not even taken by us!

True, some might find a way round it.  But you're also going to have a lot more people overall taking a test who mightn't have otherwise - which is a good thing.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 18:52, Roger2611 said:

Our guitarist in the rock band tested positive yesterday, we had rehearsed on Wednesday evening, I am gigging tonight with the covers band so took a lateral flow test yesterday and this morning, fortunately both came out negative so the band are happy for the gig to go ahead this evening

And joy of joys the rest of the rock band tested positive on Saturday and I finally tested positive this morning! That's next weekend's gigs out then! Bloody Covid!

• Sad 2

On 07/08/2021 at 09:23, Woodwind said:

I'm a solo performer, so take all this accordingly.

I have just received my NHS Vaccine form to say I'm double dosed (as opposed to using the app) as I predict venues I perform in will start asking for this in the next couple of months.

If I was in a band I'm afraid I would be insisting in lateral flow tests before rehearsals and shows.

However I would rather be in band with careful unvaccinated people, than utterly blasé vaccinated.

I know of several vaccinated friends who have been whacked by corona recently and frankly I'm not surprised as they have completely given up on any behavioural care.

As it is I test every 3 days and will test and provide result if asked to do so by clients or employers.

I REALLY do not want to catch Corona again and will do everything I can to protect my lung function.

Similarly One of my parents can't have the vaccine so I will do everything I can to limit exposing them.

You are an interesting cat. Obviously not a bassist at present but that's by the by. I am curious what strain you previously caught and when? Also what your vaccine history has been.

You are very exposed to whatever is going around in the gig environment ie Delta, Lambda..... Xray Zulu.... this thing is going to be around for a while yet.

In my case I think I got the original back in March. Although I tested negative I was definitely exposed to a positive case and I had a full set of mild symptoms. Looking at the timings I think the guy I was exposed to was likely patient zero in one of our March 2020 outbreaks, before we knocked it down.

There was a Brazilian village that got smashed in the original outbreak. Just about everyone got Covid with some dying and the rest recovered. Then months later they got the UK version iirc. It was seven shades of stinky poo again.

Keep in touch!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

You are an interesting cat. Obviously not a bassist at present but that's by the by. I am curious what strain you previously caught and when? Also what your vaccine history has been.

You are very exposed to whatever is going around in the gig environment ie Delta, Lambda..... Xray Zulu.... this thing is going to be around for a while yet.

In my case I think I got the original back in March. Although I tested negative I was definitely exposed to a positive case and I had a full set of mild symptoms. Looking at the timings I think the guy I was exposed to was likely patient zero in one of our March 2020 outbreaks, before we knocked it down.

There was a Brazilian village that got smashed in the original outbreak. Just about everyone got Covid with some dying and the rest recovered. Then months later they got the UK version iirc. It was seven shades of stinky poo again.

Keep in touch!

Yeah I too caught Coronavirus very early on - late march 2020.

The part of London I in was absolutely awash with it. 

My symptoms were mild apart from the pain in my lungs when breathing and it took a good while before I'd got my lung function back to its normal level. 

Vaccine wise I have had two doses of Pfizer.

My Mother was hospitalised due to an adverse reaction to her first dose of Pfizer , has been advised not to have a second dose and after tests has no antibody response, so protecting her anytime I visit is a priority for me.

Edited by Woodwind
more detail
  • Like 1

1) I know all my bandmates well enough to know they are vaccinated but we weren't specifically asking each other. It's more for general ribbing / banter "you got jabbed early Grandad", "Moderna? You posho!" "Flying economy class with the AZ jab" etc

2) No, but asking people to be sensible. A lot of us are regularly tested through work so regular testing is going on, usually within 48hrs of a rehearsal / studio time, if not on the actual evening itself.

3) Own mics, avoiding kit shares and just trying to be respectful of everyone's level of Covid compliance. 

In June I played a festival gig where covid tests were compulsory on the day, temperature checks were completed at the entrance to the venue and masks had to be worn, while not actually onstage.

The singer in that band had recently been diagnosed with cancer and had just completed a course of chemo. So could not be vaccinated due to possible adverse reactions to the vaccine.

She still wanted to do the gig, despite the possible risks involved.

I have a friend who does a lot of wedding gigs (up until now they've all been in England - he lives in Scotland). They're mostly dep jobs with musicians he's never met before. The gigs he's playing appear to have no testing requirements whatsoever.

Recently he travelled to a wedding gig with another musician, who unknown to him at the time, was suffering from covid symptoms. When he got home from the gig he felt unwell, so took a test, which came up positive.

He's had his two vaccinations and his symptoms are mild.

Pre gig tests or not, in a crowded environment, there's always a chance you'll get infected.

The most effective precaution against getting the virus, is to not play any gigs until the pandemic is over.

Most musicians, I know, won't be picking that option.

• Like 2

I've just had to pull one of my bands out of a gig ten days before it would have happened as our guitarist has covid for the second time despite being fully vaccinated. He is most definitely not someone who takes any risks - we have turned a few gigs because he was unhappy about the ability to distance at them.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 00:31, Woodinblack said:

We have now done one gig that was in an airy marque, and tomorrow we play outside on a truck. None of those have been worrying, but we do have some indoor gigs booked for the end of the month which is more worrying. I figure that in a few weeks the situation may be clearer anyway.

ok, the one in the truck, somewhere between 100-200 people. Not sure I saw a mask anywhere, mostly young people. OK, outside was fine, the bar was in a building and it was loads of hugging and chatting in groups. There was litterally no indication that was or had been a pandemic in the last 20 years there.

There were no checks anywhere on anyone, you could just stroll in.

I decided against going in the building and was fine in the field and on the stage.

On 10/08/2021 at 13:32, FinnDave said:

I've just had to pull one of my bands out of a gig ten days before it would have happened as our guitarist has covid for the second time despite being fully vaccinated. He is most definitely not someone who takes any risks - we have turned a few gigs because he was unhappy about the ability to distance at them.

Why not just dep it out? The FB groups are going crazy at the moment looking for deps as everyone is getting pinged >.<

17 gigs into this "new normal" gig season. We play weddings and have approx 12-15 a month booked from here until late 2022. We are all double jabbed but the events are pretty much all just a free for all. We do everything we can but, despite having signs everywhere, a dj request sheet away from the stage area, masks etc etc we regularly get drunk idiots trying to get close and demand requests in our faces. On Tuesday our guitarist has tested positive. We all immediately booked PCR tests and only the guitarist tested positive but the rest of us are lateral flow testing daily. This weekend's 3 gigs have all been cancelled because we are all isolating (3 non infected members were contacted by test and trace) and will be back out gigging next Saturday again either with dep guitarist or regular if he's recovered. It'll potentially be a repeating cycle for the forseeable future. We will take every possible precaution but there's very little protection for bands on the function scene.

• Like 2

On 08/08/2021 at 06:08, Woodwind said:

Anyone who is required to show they are double vaccinated, but doesn't own a smartphone or doesn't want to install the app or whatever can get their NHS vaccine certificate here:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

This is also valid for international travel, the little card one gets after being injected is not regarded as proof.

I filled this in in a minute or two on Sunday and it arrived in the post today 👍

• Like 1

On 08/08/2021 at 06:08, Woodwind said:

Or get this in addition to the app and keep it in your gig bag!

- removed text to keep this politics free -

England only.

I think I may have to go the 'phone them up' route in Wales.

There is no route for complaints/queries if the system goes wrong...

• Like 1

As a bassist and Medical Doctor, with a high risk wife who has asthma, I am strictly following the United States CDC protocol. Right now there are so many people developing the delta Variant of Covid- even if previously vaccinated you can get it and spread it, but your case will be mild, but if unvaccinated, you have a good chance of serious illness , hospitalization or even death or long term effects of the virus (long haulers syndrome). Today I had a practice session for a band I don’t usually play with ,and I brought along masks. The singer has not been vaccinated yet , so I first asked that we all don masks, which was done, and the we had a talk about why he had not been vaccinated. Someone told him that many people locally had gotten blood clots from the vaccine. I told him how rare an event this actually was and that getting Covid playing in clubs with many unmasked unvaccinated patrons was probably a far more likely event now that clubs were hiring bands again. He asked where he could get the vaccine , cost(free in US), and it sounds very likely that he’s gonna be vaccinated before our gig in 3 wks. It’s going to take years to end this pandemic if we don’t take steps to stop the virus from spreading. Remember, it cannot replicate or spread on its own , it needs a human host’s dna to replicate up to a billion virus particles per infected person, who then spread them around their environment, before they are even aware that they are sick. Masks, hand washing, social distancing ( set up early , stay away from the crowd, take breaks out side, and bring your own mics) are all still important since even if we are vaccinated, clubs are higher risk environments, and we could still catch this virus 🦠! I think discussing this with band mates, sticking to the facts and avoiding politics is the best approach. 

Peace,

Sailcat69

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1