Why become a member? ×

Advice needed: Gigging, vaccination status and tests

Beedster

Folks

I need to sense check a few things ahead of some upcoming gigs:

1. Are people generally asking their band-mates about vaccination status?

2. Are people generally asking their band-mate to take rapid flow tests ahead of rehearsals and gigs?

3. What precautions are bands taking at gigs? 

I'd guess that these issues have been covered in topics elsewhere on BC, but i started reading a couple of threads and there's a whole lot of politics and rhetoric making it hard to get to the simple stuff. I'd really appreciate the honest opinions of Basschatters as fellow musicians on these things and politely request that we keep politics etc out of it.

Thanks in advance

Chris

• Like 1

All my gigs are with the same one band, mainly functions/weddings + a few clubs/theatres.

1. I haven't asked my bandmates, but I assume they are vaccinated.
  2. Bandleader has asked us to do a lateral flow test the day before each gig and let him know if positive, but we're not chased up on it (i.e. he doesn't ask whether we've done it or not).
  3. At gigs, we minimize interaction with anyone not in the band.  Singers have their own assigned mics; if anyone else uses one of our spare mics (e.g. for a wedding speech), it is labelled so it can be cleaned/isolated.  Masks recommended when in smaller band rooms and shared vehicles.  Take breaks outside where possible.

I'm a solo performer, so take all this accordingly.

I have just received my NHS Vaccine form to say I'm double dosed (as opposed to using the app) as I predict venues I perform in will start asking for this in the next couple of months.

If I was in a band I'm afraid I would be insisting in lateral flow tests before rehearsals and shows.

However I would rather be in band with careful unvaccinated people, than utterly blasé vaccinated.

I know of several vaccinated friends who have been whacked by corona recently and frankly I'm not surprised as they have completely given up on any behavioural care.

As it is I test every 3 days and will test and provide result if asked to do so by clients or employers.

I REALLY do not want to catch Corona again and will do everything I can to protect my lung function.

Similarly One of my parents can't have the vaccine so I will do everything I can to limit exposing them.

Edited by Woodwind
  • Like 7

After 18 month lay off , I've had 4 gigs in a month , and it's business as usual . 

Last Friday was a sort of last minute dep at a Holiday Camp , and it was heaving . 

I've had both jabs , and frankly , apart rumblings here on Basschat , no one I know who's out playing again , mentions anything . 

Everyone I know is just cracking on . 

• Like 2

I've had 2 jabs, and have the NHS app to prove it if anybody asks, so I'm not stressed about it, nobody in the band has mentioned having tests (the 2 younger members have only had 1 jab), I know some people who've come to our gigs are anti vaccine, that's their problem, the chances of me getting it badly if at all are very low, having said that I'm avoiding physical connect wherever possible, which suits me, I'm not a hugger

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

2. Are people generally asking their band-mate to take rapid flow tests ahead of rehearsals and gigs?

I'd guess that these issues have been covered in topics elsewhere on BC, but i started reading a couple of threads and there's a whole lot of politics and rhetoric making it hard to get to the simple stuff.

Indeed - there were a few threads that promised to be interesting but then descended into politics and billy-waving which was a shame.

I have the advantage that we don't have any deniers or anything in my group, so we have all had the jabs, although the younger ones only just had their second. We have been practicing in a close-ish space for a few times. The singer and drummer have to do a test every week for their work, and the drummer was ill recently so did some tests that were clear.

We have now done one gig that was in an airy marque, and tomorrow we play outside on a truck. None of those have been worrying, but we do have some indoor gigs booked for the end of the month which is more worrying. I figure that in a few weeks the situation may be clearer anyway. 

We missed a gig because the singers son (11) got it, so he had to isolate, but he did his test and was clear, before and after.

We certainly never really asked about testing etc, but it is obviously a very obvious topic so it gets discussed.

I think it might become more of an issue as although cases are going down etc, in the last few days going into pubs and shops, there has been fewer masks. In a furniture shop today the guy said 'you can take your masks off if you want' (we didn't want).

• Like 1

The one jazz band I play for has a bi-monthly residency at an old folks home. We have to do a LF test before each gig. 

I’ve got into the habit of testing myself every two or three days anyway. Personally I wouldn’t play somewhere or with someone if I didn’t feel comfortable doing so. Not so much for me - though I know people who’ve had it and been very poorly - more so for my parents and anyone else vulnerable that I might come into contact with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

1. All of the people in all of my bands have been double jabbed.

2. No, although the singer from the gig I've just got in from did a few LFT's this week as he was feeling a bit rough (all negative).  I think he'd just overdone it with work/gigs/rehearsals.

3. None really necessary so far as they have all been outside. I have another one on Wednesday though, which I suspect might be indoors. It's a dep spot, so I need to ask what the deal is.

11 hours ago, Beedster said:

Folks

I need to sense check a few things ahead of some upcoming gigs:

I'd guess that these issues have been covered in topics elsewhere on BC, but i started reading a couple of threads and there's a whole lot of politics and rhetoric making it hard to get to the simple stuff. I'd really appreciate the honest opinions of Basschatters as fellow musicians on these things and politely request that we keep politics etc out of it.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I guess it depends on how you view the risk of the rehearsal/gig against other aspects of your life and those of your bandmates.

I go to the pub without expecting to know the status of everyone in the pub so why would a rehearsal or gig be much different?  I suspect my main source of infection would be from Mrs Nicko who is having to travel on the tube.

Reasonable precautions such as dedicated mic's make sense, as would a LFT if you are feeling rough.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I guess it depends on how you view the risk of the rehearsal/gig against other aspects of your life and those of your bandmates.

I go to the pub without expecting to know the status of everyone in the pub so why would a rehearsal or gig be much different?  I suspect my main source of infection would be from Mrs Nicko who is having to travel on the tube.

Reasonable precautions such as dedicated mic's make sense, as would a LFT if you are feeling rough.

attitude to risk is everything, I'm very risk tolerant whereas my partner is very risk averse, I suggested going to a local pub tonight to see a band, but she's worried it might be too crowded in spite of having had both jabs, might go on my own

8 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

attitude to risk is everything, I'm very risk tolerant whereas my partner is very risk averse, I suggested going to a local pub tonight to see a band, but she's worried it might be too crowded in spite of having had both jabs, might go on my own

I think most people  go about their lives doing risk assessments without thinking about it.  What the pandemic has done is make them do the assessments more consciously.  I'm not a denier but think the risk of catching it and the risk of having it may have been overplayed a bit.

• Like 3

Venue the other week wanted us to take a flow test on the day.

Venue this evening either wants us to show we are double jabbed, or take a flow test on the morning.

Both venues have stated this, but like the last one, I'll doubt they'll even check. Just another tick box procedure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dand666 said:

Venue the other week wanted us to take a flow test on the day.

Venue this evening either wants us to show we are double jabbed, or take a flow test on the morning.

Both venues have stated this, but like the last one, I'll doubt they'll even check. Just another tick box procedure. 

I can understand the flow test, not the double vaccination requirement - at least not on its own.

My double vaccinated doctor sister-in-law recently had a very nasty case of Covid. It can lessen the seriousness of the symptoms, so you might have it without realising it.

• Like 1

There's been no talk around this subject in either of my two main bands and I won't be initiating it.

We have our first gig tonight since March 2020.  It's in a golf club and there will be speeches and prize giving.  The only thing I've said is that nobody will be allowed to use my mike.  I would probably have said the same pre-covid though.

Frank.

• Like 1

Our guitarist in the rock band tested positive yesterday, we had rehearsed on Wednesday evening, I am gigging tonight with the covers band so took a lateral flow test yesterday and this morning, fortunately both came out negative so the band are happy for the gig to go ahead this evening

The club that I'm playing at tonight wants the band to be double vaccinated.  I don't know what the policy is for the audience though. 

Last nights gig didn't ask for anything.

I was doing some workshops a few weeks back, and had to take a flow test before each day. I don't think it's a big deal. It takes 2 minutes and if it's needed to keep working, it's no big deal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Doddy said:

The club that I'm playing at tonight wants the band to be double vaccinated.  I don't know what the policy is for the audience though. 

You see , this is just people getting stupid . As already replied - no mention about the staff . 

Harks back to the 'ol PAT test insistence , whilst plugging into their sh*tty in house wiring . 

I've been double jabbed , but don't have a smart phone , nor the little card they gave me , and then promptly lost . How would I be able to prove I've been double jabbed?

In my day job , I went in a few weeks ago to fix someone's broadband . Most customers couldn't care less about all of this , but this guy went all funny about me putting on a mask - not an issue , as it's his house after all . But then he refused to put one on himself - same with his wife and kids . 

Give some people a tiny bit of power , and it'll go to their heads . 

To insist on the band being double jabbed , but then make no mention about the staff , or the guests , is just mental - in my opinion . 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, E sharp said:

You see , this is just people getting stupid . As already replied - no mention about the staff . 

Harks back to the 'ol PAT test insistence , whilst plugging into their sh*tty in house wiring . 

I've been double jabbed , but don't have a smart phone , nor the little card they gave me , and then promptly lost . How would I be able to prove I've been double jabbed?

In my day job , I went in a few weeks ago to fix someone's broadband . Most customers couldn't care less about all of this , but this guy went all funny about me putting on a mask - not an issue , as it's his house after all . But then he refused to put one on himself - same with his wife and kids . 

Give some people a tiny bit of power , and it'll go to their heads . 

To insist on the band being double jabbed , but then make no mention about the staff , or the guests , is just mental - in my opinion . 

Exactly.