Why become a member? ×

One man camera show

EBS_freak

• 3 weeks later...

More adventures in one man and a bunch of cameras... Plus getting to help out a mate with his promo.

OK - so a different vibe on this one to look different to the Silverstone gig. The gig was a private event in some guys garden that decided that given that he couldn't go to any festivals this year, he'd have his own.

This one is shot black and white - and shot on the longer end of the lens and a "bit more in their faces" to deliberately give the videos a different feel. 

The sound is a bit err... shonky with the fx. That's what we got from the desk, warts and all. Hey, it's live and we got what we got!

Oh and I've cut my hair since then!

Edited by EBS_freak

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Nice one Russ. Not heard that song for ages (since we stopped playing it). 

Ill be honest and say im not a fan of black and white, at least not clean black and white if that makes senses, but its shot and edited well so job done. 

It was an accidental black and white tbh. The lights that the PA company were using were just flooding the stage with green lights. The lead singer's top is green and black - and added with the fact that everybody's face was looking like the hulk, for this particular song, it made more sense for it to go to black and white as the lighting show just killed it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

It was an accidental black and white tbh. The lights that the PA company were using were just flooding the stage with green lights. The lead singer's top is green and black - and added with the fact that everybody's face was looking like the hulk, for this particular song, it made more sense for it to go to black and white as the lighting show just killed it.

Ah right. Good call then. 

That’s probably a given. Drummers never get the limelight! Although he did get a camera on a slider.

It’s all good learning though. Considering these are the first two proper gigs I’ve done, I’m pretty chuffed.

Out again at the weekend - in a marquee this time - to see what I can do in there.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to follow up on this. So marquee gig happened - quite some time ago as it happens!

This one did take a bit of saving. The audio from the PA company was a complete nightmare... so it took a whole load of saving whatever audio we could get from the cameras and whatever we could get our hands on and codge something together. Not the best the audio - but still a whole better than some of the promos that are out there. Anyway, not bad.... it's all experience. From now on, I'm not trusting audio to anybody else. (Yet something else to worry about!)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, meant to comment a few weeks ago 😬

I like that Russ. Obviously the video is spot on, but i like the audio. Its more like  if you were in the room if that makes sense. Not perfectly clear but more how you might hear it if you are there. 

I love the exposure and how it stays consistent even when those lights are going on and off. A tell tail sign that the operator was in control and not the camera. 

10 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sorry, meant to comment a few weeks ago 😬

I like that Russ. Obviously the video is spot on, but i like the audio. Its more like  if you were in the room if that makes sense. Not perfectly clear but more how you might hear it if you are there. 

I love the exposure and how it stays consistent even when those lights are going on and off. A tell tail sign that the operator was in control and not the camera. 

The audio was a massive, massive pain in the backside. I had to convince the somebody to run everything we had through RX to try and get some sort of track separation so the thing could be remixed. Im still not happy with the sound of it at all... but done is better than it just being shelved, especially when it's more than what most bands would put out. Anyway, all these issues combined with a FoH guy that wants to saturate everything with FX it was a complete nightmare. Still, sorted that now as the band now captures everything raw before it gets to the desk. Everything is still (like ever) a big learning curve. Im happy with progress and just looking forward to getting out there and shooting some more stuff.

Im getting quite good at getting the cameras looking great - I've got some tools to assist (like using false colour to get the skin exposure correct) - and of course, it makes blown highlights stand out like a sore thumb, so I can deal with it. Hopefully, if you look at some of the items in shot that would normally blow out (e.g. the par cans behind the band), you can see there's still colour in there. To me, it makes a massive difference than just seeing pure white. The only light which is blown (I think) is the key light that was put at the front to actually illuminate the players (that's the one seen on the dance floor shot - you'll be amazed at how many people that record bands don't actually light the subjects! Cant do much about it as the dynamic range between the shadows and the light is massive... but at least the light is meant to be white!) So yeah, I'm pretty pleased - especially since I had nowhere near the space I had at the festivals. Obviously it's still not as good as if I had an individual person on each camera but considering it's just me out there, it's pretty good I think. Again, probably better than what most are putting out (without blowing my own trumpet too much).

There's another recording going on this weekend but illness in my household means I won't be there. Andy (singer) is just going with static cams - but it will at least give us a maiden voyage with the new sound setup to learn from that.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1