Why become a member? ×

62mm neck in 63.5mm pocket

Jono Bolton

Are there any issues with this? I have a Japanese Squier P Bass neck with a 62mm width at the heel (2 & 7/16" in old money), but the standard width of a neck pocket is 63.5mm (2 and 1/2"). It would leave a minimal gap at either side of the neck, but does it offer any problems relating to alignment that I should take into consideration? Or anything else for that matter? I'm thinking of the old 70s Fender basses where the pockets and the heels were seldom a tight fit.

Edited by Jono Bolton

A few thoughts:

Are there already matching screwholes in the body and neck? If so, does screwing together the body and neck put the neck in correct alignment i.e. where it needs to be so the bass can be usable?

If there aren't any screwholes (or the existing ones don't line-up) then you will (obviously, sorry if this teaching you to suck eggs) have to position the neck in alignment, drill new holes and put in screws. You could maybe use some spacers on each side of the neck to hold it whilst you check the alignment. It could be that the pocket is not cut centrally and there iwill be a slightly uneven gap on each side of the neck. 

When you are happy with the fit of the neck then you could maybe fill any gaps with wood. I'd do one side of the pocket at a time: neck off, cut wood to correct depth and length but leave slightly wide. Put wood in place ('dry fitted'), put neck in place (wedge the gap on the other side to hold neck snug against the wood) and test for position by seeing if you can place the screws in. Reduce thickness of the wood a small amount at a time until the screws fit in.

Once the neck fits, remove the wood from the first side and repeat to fit the wood on the opposite side. When you are happy with these filling pieces and the fit of the neck, then glue them in place and do any finishing or paint touch-up etc.

Let us know how you get on. 

Edited by KevL

2 minutes ago, KevL said:

A few thoughts:

Are there already matching screwholes in the body and neck? If so, does screwing together the body and neck put the neck in correct alignment i.e. where it needs to be so the bass can be usable?

If there aren't any screwholes (or the existing ones don't line-up) then you will (obviously, sorry if this teaching you to suck eggs) have to position the neck in alignment, drill new holes and put in screws. You could maybe use some spacers on each side of the neck to hold it whilst you check the alignment. It could be that the pocket is not cut centrally and there iwill be a slightly uneven gap on each side of the neck. 

When you are happy with the fit of the neck then you could maybe fill any gaps with wood. I'd do one side of the pocket at a time: neck off, cut wood to correct depth and length but leave slightly wide. Remove a small amount of width, put wood in place ('dry fitted'), put neck in place (wedge the gap on the other side to put neck snug against the wood) and test for position by seeing if you can place the screws in. 

Once the neck fits, remove the wood from the first side and repeat to fit ghe wood on the opposite side. When you are happy with these filling pieces and the fit of the neck, the glue them in place and do any finishing or paint touch-up etc.

Let us know how you get on. 

@KevL Very good advice there  👍

Your only talking about 1.5mm difference, I would fit the neck and slide in a few strips of wood veneer either side for stability and to fill the gap’s, you could glue them to either side of the neck pocket if you wanted and they could be removed if ever you needed 

• Like 1

Have you got any metal machine washers?

M3, M4... you could use a couple on the E bass side to get a good fit for the neck, and maybe one to aligning the neck edge with the G side... to sort the screw holes, then replace with veneer... i think there is a proper name for this more open side of the pocket...