Why become a member? ×

G N' R The boys are back

I'm disapointed but not suprised

G&R were basically a one album wonder.

Albeit that album was one of the defining rock albums of the 20th century so no small achievement.

With the benefit of hindsight Use Your Illusion never really came close to those heights, and as for Chinese Democracy....least said soonest mended.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

I'm going against the grain here and say I didn't mind it, it's ok but then other than Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle I can't stand the rest of AFD . I may be in a minority here who detests Sweet Child of Mine. Absurd isn't a great song by any stretch but I quite like the punky vibe as my taste in rock largely leans towards punk influenced bands.

• Like 2

Personally I really enjoy Slash's solo stuff with Myles Kennedy singing, sure it's 'mainstream' rock, but for me it's where Slash's strengths lie nowadays. And Myles can belt out the GnR stuff live too.

Didnt much enjoy this new effort from GnR myself.

• Like 2

Many comments about no Izzy, and I agree with them, but also no Steven Adler has a big impact on their sound. His style of drumming by far suited the material better than a straightforward heavy rock drummer. For me those two really helped Guns stand out a bit more from the pack. I don’t mind this new song, and liked some of Chinese Democracy but for me Appetite and Spaghetti are the only Guns albums I like start to finish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Not sure if this is true but some people are saying Absurd was a shelved track from Chinese Democracy. If that’s the case and it’s the best GnR can up with these days, it makes this situation pretty tragic. 

Yep, here you go:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I have to say I agree with most of the above. 

Having given the track another couple of listens, despite my best intentions, I can't find any redeeming features. 

AFD is still my favourite album of all time.

Lies was a mediocre bit of filler

Use Your Illusions 1&2 were OK. I'd love to have heard the original demos before Axl overproduced them to death. 

Spaghetti Incident was a pretty good covers album which introduced me to a few punk songs I hadn't heard before. 

Chinese Democracy, meh! A couple of half decent tracks. 

This. Dross! 

3 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

At first I thought Chinese Democracy was a journalist having a joke- 'The new Guns'n'Roses album is as likely to come about as democracy in China'. I still haven't listened to it, probably ought to eventually.

On one listen, there doesn't seem to be much of a song there at all, and it does sound a bit like Ministry or Pitchshifter. It would have made a lot more sense if they'd released this 25 years ago.

I actually thought it was a bit Prodegy-esque. Only not as good. 

Guns N Roses came at an odd point in life for me. I was at an where I was still learning what I liked and I liked the loud fast guitars and drums of GNR but hated the vocals but it was enough to push me to search out other heavy rock music and discover Faith No More and Motorhead and Sabbath and other good stuff. Their awful Spaghetti Incident album helped me discover some great punk bands. 

Okay, I will be controversial and say that this is not my least favourite Guns ‘n’ Roses song.

There is stuff on Lies, Use Your Illusion and Chinese Democracy that I consider to be more unlistenable. 

After reading the thread before listening I was expecting much worse!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm a massive GNR fan. For me Appetite For Destruction is the greatest album of all time. 

Having said that, I'm really not sure about this new single. Maybe needs a few more listens, or the context of a few other tracks to see what kind of direction the band is heading. 

Agree with you here on both paragraphs. While I don't like this new track I'm hoping it's a one off and there will be other new songs I can actually tolerate, better still like. 

Edited by uk_lefty
Typo corrected
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, upside downer said:

PARENTAL WARNING - mediocre tune and laughable lyrics.

Laughable lyrics? Really? What is wrong with lines like:

"Syphilitic priestess baby, I know who you are
Parasitic demon sucking acid through your heart"

Sounds like a contender for the Noble Prize for Literature to me 😉 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Laughable lyrics? Really? What is wrong with lines like:

"Syphilitic priestess baby, I know who you are
Parasitic demon sucking acid through your heart"

Sounds like a contender for the Noble Prize for Literature to me 😉 

I can see those lyrics replacing Shakespeare in the school curriculum. 

6 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I can see those lyrics replacing Shakespeare in the school curriculum. 

Yeah, together with Scooter:

"Start the danger, Rearranger. Not so cool. Mercy. I'm the vapour. On the radar. Get up on the mic and shout it.
Yeah, move it. I spit bricks got the kicks in the mix.
My pricks long out the rigs.
Party of bricks like Jackie X.
No diggedy diggedy HP.
I'm the bad boy, roll MC, so sexy.

• Haha 1