Why become a member? ×

NBD Hohner B2A

Reggaebass

I had one and LOVED it. I never got on with the EQ but passive with decent strings it sounded great and was a photographer magnet! Mine had the EMG pickups and not the later stock generic ones. One of my favourite recordings I have with it is actually playing a bit of 12 bar blues, I found the tone really versatile. My only small issue was the string spacing was too tight for me, so great for fingerstyle but I expected it to be a slap machine, sadly not for my terrible technique. 

Listen to Hoochie Coochie Man by clive mustang on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Fw9Rv

FB_IMG_1617643775454.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 4

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Great picture lefty 👍, thanks for that, I’ll check it out 

In a 1hr set about sixty percent of the photos were of me playing the headless which I only had out for a couple of songs, which is a bit embarrassing. Singers don't like that though, neither do lead guitarists! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I haven’t tried that yet 😁, but I’m sure you could, they are really well built little basses aren’t they 

I really liked it. When I first played it I found that the first few frets were a bit far to the left for me but once I realised you could tuck it under your arm it was really comfortable and it was great fun. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I found that the first few frets were a bit far to the left for me

Ah yeah, I’ve found that too, I’ve landed on the wrong fret a few times, I’ve been playing it quite a bit today and I think I’m getting used to it 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Ah yeah, I’ve found that too, I’ve landed on the wrong fret a few times, I’ve been playing it quite a bit today and I think I’m getting used to it 🙂

I find they're a bit like SG's. If you wear it on your right hip it all feels normal and comfortable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I do wish I'd kept the Jack version as it did sound good, and was just "handy" somehow.

Anyway glad you got it ( and like it) as you'd been wanting one for a while it seems ! 👍

Initially I was looking at a steinberger XL2 ,but I didn’t really want to buy one in case I didn’t get on with it , so I thought I’d try the hohner first , I’m so used to my jazzes  this is a nice change , they are pretty cool 

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 12:25, Hellzero said:

The stacked knob is a 2 band EQ with bass on the lower pot and treble on the upper one. There's also an internal gain trimmer pot that should be near the battery.

Beat me to it. I've got mine set so it's the same output in active (with EQ flat) as it is in passive. Sounds nice that way and no sudden output jumps if you switch from one to the other. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Beat me to it. I've got mine set so it's the same output in active (with EQ flat) as it is in passive. Sounds nice that way and no sudden output jumps if you switch from one to the other. 

Thanks I’ll give that a try, the active switch really boosts the bass, I had to roll it back a bit today, which is really unusual for me 😁

54 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I bought one of these from Denmark Street when they first came out in 1986 and I still have it with the rectangular zip-up case. Great basses.

I had the case too! Faux leather with a zip. Loved it for the pure 80s-Ness of the whole package. 

On 05/08/2021 at 19:30, Reggaebass said:

I haven’t tried that properly yet Paul, I think the screw on top is something to do with it 

No - that’s for fine tuning the drop. There’s a lever on the side of the bridge 🌉 

• Like 1

Congrats Tony, they are fantastic basses - I love mine.

The drop D lever is a godsend. It’s awesome as a travel bass.

Status double ball ended strings are great with it as well.

I ended up popping the EMGs in there but run them without the active EQ so just Vol/Vol/tone.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Congrats Tony, they are fantastic basses - I love mine.

The drop D lever is a godsend. It’s awesome as a travel bass.

Status double ball ended strings are great with it as well.

I ended up popping the EMGs in there but run them without the active EQ so just Vol/Vol/tone.

Enjoy!

Thanks cuzzie 👍. I’ve got labella double ball end flats on it now, it’s sounding great 

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 13:10, TheGreek said:

I had a fretless way back when.

Fitted with the "Select" pick ups - totally gutless.

I side-lined my Westone Thunder 1A to use it - plugged the Westone in one day as a comparison and realised it was far, far better.

I've often considered getting another, fitting new wings so it doesn't look like a cricket bat and new pick ups. Thankfully I've spent my money elsewhere.

Well I guess you either appreciate the Steinberger body shape...or not. Def good for carrying.

Think you may be right about the pickups.  My 'Bottom E' and notes around there don't seem to have the 'authority' I expect. Usually other way with other basses if anything.

Difficult to be definitive as there seem to be fee alternatives without going to the active EMG option that is more costly than I want to look at atm esp since it might not be the thing.