Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton MB-5 SBK (5 string, Stingray style, stealth black) is back!!!

mcnach

15 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Why recommend a used Squier?  The only Squiers that better the tupical HB are the Classic Vibes 

15 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

The HB jazzes, precisions, etc, are easily as good as anything from the cooking Squier range, for invariably less money.  

Yup, back when I bought my £100-ish HB fretless jazz, it had rather nice Wilkinson hardware and pickups, and an ash body. Show me that in a £100 second hand Squier. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Why recommend a used Squier?  The only Squiers that better the tupical HB are the Classic Vibes, and any CV as cheap as a HB will be a severely beaten up p.o.s.

The HB jazzes, precisions, etc, are easily as good as anything from the cooking Squier range, for invariably less money.  The run of the mill Squiers share the same shortcomings for rather more money, so why bother?

Until you've owned, lived with, and gigged a few Harley Bentons, they you can't really make such comparisons with any authority.  I have, and I do.

Just easier to sell on based on personal experience. People have heard of the brand that’s all. No dig at HB just get what TheGreek was saying. And yes it would be a CV or VM if not an Indonesian MM SUB.

Edited by tegs07

7 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Why recommend a used Squier? 

Is it a good idea to recommend a beginner buy a used anything ?

Does a beginner or the parents have the experience to spot faults on used basses , I'd say probably not.

The MB-5 comes with 30 days return policy should any problems arise.

• Like 2

On 05/08/2021 at 13:56, TheGreek said:

I know that HB are slowly gaining respect within the music community but for about another £100 you could have got yourself a genuine used MM SUB 5 which won't depreciate.

I suspect you'll find it easier to get pregnant than to sell this on for close to what you paid.

Maybe, but not one that looks that good!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, owen said:

Thanks all. Rats - I think 16mm is too tight for me. I was thinking of picking one up and whacking a G&L pickup in there and making a 5 string L1000. It was fun while it lasted!

I thought it would bother me more than it did. One of the things that I've always found getting in the way of my being comfortable with a 5 string was the spacing. I prefer 19mm spacing on 5 strings, so this one did feel rather narrow to start with. I have gotten used to it now, but for a while I considered replacing the bridge or perhaps just the saddles. The fingerboard is wide enough to allow a wider spacing (check the pictures), probably not quite 19mm but certainly wider than it is.

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

I thought it would bother me more than it did. One of the things that I've always found getting in the way of my being comfortable with a 5 string was the spacing. I prefer 19mm spacing on 5 strings, so this one did feel rather narrow to start with. I have gotten used to it now, but for a while I considered replacing the bridge or perhaps just the saddles. The fingerboard is wide enough to allow a wider spacing (check the pictures), probably not quite 19mm but certainly wider than it is.

Not helping my resolve here! That is a big and chunky bridge plate to replace.

• Like 1