Why become a member? ×

"Auditioning" for an Originals band

Nicko

I'm done with the endless cycle of enthusiasm and disappointment followed by breakup of pub covers bands and have been in contact with an originals group.  I'm meeting them in a few weeks and they've sent me a few recordings of rehearsals.

I've learnt the basics of the songs but really don't know whether to try to learn the basslines note for note as played by their previous player or show a bit of creativity.  Whatdya think?

When I left my old originals band they wanted whoever came in to play exactly what I did, no changes to songs that people already loved. We worked on them so that runs etc wouldn’t get in the way of vocals or drum fills, so stick with that. They also wanted the same bass sound, as it was important to maintain the sound of the band.

I'd learn them as they are, but keep in reserve some other ideas to bring out if you think it appropriate...

They'd probably be impressed if you could just play their stuff straight off as it is, they might think "smart @rse" if you fiddle about with the bass parts too much to start with, it's very much a suss them out as you go really.

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My take on this would be do both. 

I was in this position 4 years ago when I joined my current band. 

During my audition I played it note for note on the first run through of the set, the band were clearly impressed that I could do this, then when I had that start of a relationship I asked if we could do a 2nd run through and said to them I can put a bit more of myself as a musician into this set. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It will depend on the band you are auditioning for. Some will expect you to be an exact replacement for the previous member and others will use the opportunity the bring new creativity to old songs. It may well depend on how well-known the songs are by the band's audience - are they available on an album? In which case it may be best to stick with what has been recorded.

So if you really want the gig you should probably learn the previous part note for note as far as possible and if you are feeling inspired come up with something new of your own. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It may well depend on how well-known the songs are by the band's audience - are they available on an album? In which case it may be best to stick with what has been recorded.

I should have said, these are rehearsal recordings as they haven't recorded anything.  Its a "for fun" band and AFAIK they haven't gigged anything so far.

I've nothing against covers, or cover bands, but I realised a good few years ago that it wasn't for me. The same amount of energy invested in writing and tryting to develop a sound is much more satisfying to me (although getting paid is harder)

For he last audition I did a few years ago I was given 5 complete tunes and a few half developed ideas, all either rehearsal recordings or rough home recordings. Not knowing how it would pan out I learned them note for note (the lines were pretty poor though), then I developed the 'what I would have done option'. I went into the room and gave them the choice... original, mine or both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I joined my current band, I learned everything note for note (it was just 3 songs at that time). I think they were delighted that I'd gone to the effort of working out the songs and learning them, and they were happy that I could keep up with the band and wasn't a complete amateur.

Having said that, when I have occasionally shopped for a new band, I've been sent tracks that I've tried to learn and found them really difficult to work out. I'm not the best at playing by ear so that obviously factors into it. In the end, I decided not to audition because I didn't want to waste anyone's time.

Learn the lines as played by the previous player. That proves you can learn and copy when needed.

Pick some (not all) songs you think could be different, and come up with some new lines . That proves you can contribute creatively.

I'd avoid going in with suggestions about how the existing members could improve their parts........ it might be appropriate eventually but may come off as smart-@rse in an audition.

What I would do is listen to them. Get the gist and do my own thing. I have faith on my own musical ability. If they didn't want that I wouldn't be bothered about being in that band. If you can't contribute to originals then what's the point. Isn't the point of being in an originals self expression. Or is that The New Originals!

Edited by Lord Sausage
  • Like 2

Announce at the very start of the first rehearsal that you have learned all of the songs and have improved them tenfold. 

Proceed to slap as much as possible, incorporate as many bass faces as you can and finish each time with "We need to get louder!". 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Crawford13 said:

My take on this would be do both. 

I was in this position 4 years ago when I joined my current band. 

During my audition I played it note for note on the first run through of the set, the band were clearly impressed that I could do this, then when I had that start of a relationship I asked if we could do a 2nd run through and said to them I can put a bit more of myself as a musician into this set. 

35 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Learn the lines as played by the previous player. That proves you can learn and copy when needed.

Pick some (not all) songs you think could be different, and come up with some new lines . That proves you can contribute creatively.

I'd avoid going in with suggestions about how the existing members could improve their parts........ it might be appropriate eventually but may come off as smart-@rse in an audition.

I'd agree with these. Learn the songs as per the recordings, however, if you think you can add to the song as well as adding your own touches, ask them what they want you to do while at the audition. If you can show you can add something, then they'll see that you're proactive as well as thinking about what's best for the song.

Good luck with the audition!

I think what's important is to learn the structure of the songs, make sure you know about any stops/breaks etc and then play bass lines that are in-keeping with the previous player's. IMHO I don't think that learning them exactly is necessary (or even desirable) unless the bass lines are an identifiable motif/melody.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Announce at the very start of the first rehearsal that you have learned all of the songs and have improved them tenfold. 

Proceed to slap as much as possible, incorporate as many bass faces as you can and finish each time with "We need to get louder!". 

I'm assuming that turning up in inappropriate stage gear is also mandatory?

The thing is with original material, you're not realistically being measured against another version.  

I've always felt that I'd be bringing something different into things, I can't bear playing covers.  Old material will likely ebb and flow, likely disappearing as time goes on.  If you have decent chops, they'll see that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I wouldn't say inappropriate but instead, playful. 😎

ap070626067139_sq-55b5050d4d7e5771d1e2a86fa8c28828b778b821-s1400.jpg

That would be inappropriate for the band I'm meeting and I'm not sure I have platforms of a suitable height to match.  BTW who would need that number pf pickups on a bass?

I joined my main originals band following another bassist's departure, and started by playing the songs as they were. Over time, and as the band gelled, the bass lines gradually became my own, other than a few fills which had really stood out as important parts of the songs. Same with the bass sound; the original chap was a fingers player, I'm almost always pick, but I started with a more finger-oriented sound (tho not actually with fingers) and progressed towards my own sound. No-one complained (I'd have listened if they did), and now my sound and lines are part of the band. We were all old friends (including the original bassist), so no-one was going to compare/judge us directly, and given it's been thirteen years or so, they've probably got used it me by now... 😁

• Like 7