Why become a member? ×

Charlie Watts puts a dep in with the Stones

casapete

On 06/08/2021 at 00:09, chris_b said:

Daryl heard about the vacancy from a friend and auditioned.

Daryl always in the right place at the right time! His mate Vince Wilburn was Miles Davies Nephew and recommended him for the miles gig.

Daryl is a hell of a player though "You're under arrest" was constantly on my turntable as a youngster. I think He and Steve Jordan will really drive that band.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, lee650 said:

Daryl always in the right place at the right time! His mate Vince Wilburn was Miles Davies Nephew and recommended him for the miles gig.

Daryl is a hell of a player though "You're under arrest" was constantly on my turntable as a youngster. I think He and Steve Jordan will really drive that band.

Not to derail, but regarding Daryl Jones: I saw Sting on his Dream of the Blue Turtles tour in early/mid 80s at Brum NEC.

Sting played guitar and had Daryl Jones on bass, along with a selection of other fine musicians. One of the best/most enjoyable gigs I’ve seen, and Daryl Jones was superb… 

With regards to Charlie Watts. He’s actually one of my favourite drummers. I also actually think he’s a fundamental part of their sound (in terms of the Stones’ groove and swagger - especially on record) due to his playing relationship with Keef. In a weird way I regard Charlie and Keef as the Stones’ rhythm section rather than the bass and drums… 

I’ll get me ya-ya’s out of here..! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Charlie and Keef as the Stones’ rhythm section

I saw a doco on the Stones years ago. The only thing I remember is Keef doing his nut over the groove not being right during a rehearsal. Must have been some temp on bass or one of those 'invisibles' they have on 'extra fill out guitar'.

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Christ, I feel for him there!! When was that?!

Famous clip taken from ‘Hail hail rock n roll’, the film about Keith putting together a top band to back Chuck in a concert celebrating ( I think) his 60th birthday. All the grief of the rehearsals, then true to form on the gig Chuck did it his way anyway, changing keys and arrangements etc. Steve Jordan on drums did a great job, along with Johnnie Johnson on piano, Joey Spampinato on bass and Keith as MD on guitar. Great film if you get the chance to catch it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I saw a doco on the Stones years ago. The only thing I remember is Keef doing his nut over the groove not being right during a rehearsal. Must have been some temp on bass or one of those 'invisibles' they have on 'extra fill out guitar'.

Who were these ‘invisibles ‘ of which you speak? 🤔

3 hours ago, paul_5 said:

When people talk about ‘feel’ it always reminds me of that time that Chuck Berry schooled Keef at rehearsals…

Funnily enough I was watching Hail Hail rock n roll the other day, the look on Keefs face as he turns away is priceless 

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Would that have been the 'documentary' film from Jean-Luc Godard, called 'Sympathy For the Devil', or 'One+One'..? Quite an eye-opener, I found; I don't heartily recommend it, as it's rotten, and wouldn't sit through it again, but it does serve to shed some dim light on the shenanigans of the time. Be warned, however : it's Jean-Luc Godard, not Stephen Spielberg. There's very little (that's to say no...) action. Have a pillow on hand. B|

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Among a number of (usually uncredited) guitarists who have backed the Stones in the studio are Jimmy Page, Ry Cooder, Dave Mason, Eric Clapton, Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel (the latter two while auditioning to replace Mick Taylor).

Edit: Clapton's efforts were not officially released but I think one of them appeared on a bootleg of out-takes. Also, Rory Gallagher was invited to join the audition sessions on which Perkins and Mandel played but walked out after Keith left him waiting around in a hotel for a day or two. Probably just as well, really.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Among a number of (usually uncredited) guitarists who have backed the Stones in the studio are Jimmy Page, Ry Cooder, Dave Mason, Eric Clapton, Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel (the latter two while auditioning to replace Mick Taylor).

Edit: Clapton's efforts were not officially released but I think one of them appeared on a bootleg of out-takes. Also, Rory Gallagher was invited to join the audition sessions on which Perkins and Mandel played but walked out after Keith left him waiting around in a hotel for a day or two. Probably just as well, really.

I was aware of these guys doing studio sessions, but thought the comment was referencing the band using extra players for live gigs - maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, as never heard of this being the case.

I have some Clapton stuff with the Stones - the most famous being the alternative version of ‘Brown Sugar’ featuring EC on slide guitar. Ry Cooder was apparently the source of Keith’s taking up the open G five string tuning, and Perkins and Mandel were just a couple of the many players they tried out before asking Ronnie Wood to join. Their efforts ended up on the ‘Black and Blue’ album. Hadn’t heard the Rory Gallagher story, but like Clapton and Jeff Beck who were also considered for the job, I’m sure it would have ended in tears pretty quickly. Ronnie Wood was really the ideal guy to fit in with the band, having already had history with them on the ‘It’s only rock and roll’ sessions at his house in Richmond. Hard to believe he’s been in the band for 45 years!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, casapete said:

as never heard of this being the case

Sure, they've had loads of guest guitarists who walk onstage, give it some stuff and then trot off again but I've never heard of back-up guitarists.

Is it my imagination or did one of the Womacks back the Stones on a studio release? And was it guitar or keys or something?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, casapete said:

Ronnie Wood was really the ideal guy to fit in with the band, having already had history with them on the ‘It’s only rock and roll’ sessions at his house in Richmond. Hard to believe he’s been in the band for 45 years!

Not as a full member though. It took 11 years for that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Sure, they've had loads of guest guitarists who walk onstage, give it some stuff and then trot off again but I've never heard of back-up guitarists.

Is it my imagination or did one of the Womacks back the Stones on a studio release? And was it guitar or keys or something?

Bobby Womack was a good friend of Ronnie Wood, and appeared on Ron’s second solo album ‘Now Look’ in the mid 70’s. Seem to remember some of the Stones appearing on one of Bobby’s albums too - Ronnie, Keith and maybe Charlie? Can’t recall any more Stones involvements with the Womack dynasty, but happy to be wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, casapete said:

Bobby Womack was a good friend of Ronnie Wood, and appeared on Ron’s second solo album ‘Now Look’ in the mid 70’s. Seem to remember some of the Stones appearing on one of Bobby’s albums too - Ronnie, Keith and maybe Charlie? Can’t recall any more Stones involvements with the Womack dynasty, but happy to be wrong. 

Forgot to add the obvious connection with the Stones doing a cover of the Bobby Womack tune ‘Its all over now! 😄

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, casapete said:

About time Daryl was offered membership now, after nearly 30 years!

Chuck Leavell has been the keys player (and later MD) with them since around '82, and he's not an official member either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Famous clip taken from ‘Hail hail rock n roll’, the film about Keith putting together a top band to back Chuck in a concert celebrating ( I think) his 60th birthday. All the grief of the rehearsals, then true to form on the gig Chuck did it his way anyway, changing keys and arrangements etc. Steve Jordan on drums did a great job, along with Johnnie Johnson on piano, Joey Spampinato on bass and Keith as MD on guitar. Great film if you get the chance to catch it.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the heads up - I’ll definitely try and get to see that.

I had to watch bits of that clip through my fingers - I could also sadly relate to Keef’s experience (being in a situation of just not getting it and trying to avoid the awkward glances of others, rather than having the pleasure/honour of playing with Chuck Berry obv.!)… 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Chuck Leavell has been the keys player (and later MD) with them since around '82, and he's not an official member either.

I’d forgotten about Chuck!  Hopefully he’s been well looked after during nearly 40 years. 

4 minutes ago, casapete said:

I’d forgotten about Chuck!  Hopefully he’s been well looked after during nearly 40 years. 

I'm sure that both Chuck and Darryl have been very well looked after, otherwise they wouldn't have stuck around for so long. Plus, they

have the freedom to do other sideman gigs when the Stones aren't touring. Winner.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Didn’t they demote their original keys player to a non-full member?

Ian Stewart (Stu) was an original member of the band, but left as the band became successful after their manager didn’t think he fitted in with how he thought the band should look. He stayed on as pianist and driver / roadie for a long time afterwards.