Why become a member? ×

Charlie Watts puts a dep in with the Stones

casapete

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

This and it's noted that no one disagreed with you.

Probably because the conversation has turned into a conversation about how it's wrong to have conversations. Which the end of his post, 'my dad is bigger  than your dad', is part of and people have replied to that.

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

Nice threads.

That was immediate thought; very dapper. I hope I look as good when I'm 80 and can still go on tour* (medical procedures notwithstanding).

*Not that I ever have, but I remain hopeful.

Charlie Watts has a very distinctive style and stage presence and has been an ever present fixture for the Stones for nearly 60 years. Yes, he could be replaced by any number of drummers to physically play the drum parts, but none of them would be Charlie Watts. Whether the new drummer 'is up to the job' will probably depend on how much a Stones fan or Charlie Watts fan you are. The average non-Stones fan or someone who goes to a Stones gig who kinda knows who Mick Jagger is and knows a couple of Stones songs from films and tv adverts probably really doesn't care who plays drums for them and won't notice a difference, while a diehard Stones fan will claim they hear a massive difference. 

Personally I hope Lars Ulrich gets the gig and brings his St Anger kit on tour. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Charlie Watts has a very distinctive style and stage presence and has been an ever present fixture for the Stones for nearly 60 years. Yes, he could be replaced by any number of drummers to physically play the drum parts, but none of them would be Charlie Watts. Whether the new drummer 'is up to the job' will probably depend on how much a Stones fan or Charlie Watts fan you are. The average non-Stones fan or someone who goes to a Stones gig who kinda knows who Mick Jagger is and knows a couple of Stones songs from films and tv adverts probably really doesn't care who plays drums for them and won't notice a difference, while a diehard Stones fan will claim they hear a massive difference. 

Personally I hope Lars Ulrich gets the gig and brings his St Anger kit on tour. 

Every drummer is different and Charlie is no exception. The original Stones members insisted on Charlie being their drummer and Keith has said on numerous occasions "Charlies drumming is the bed I lie on" His style may be called simplistic but he swings like few others, his groove is bottomless and he knows when to push or pull the songs. Unique.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

There is no way of telling who has the minority view.

I have never heard anything that CW is doing that in anyway seems better than even some of the drummers I have played with. He seems competant and ok, and obviously a lot more experienced than when he started where he was basically just in time.

I don't see how many drummers (let alone NP) couldn't do what he does at least as well.

I just don't care enough to argue about it in a 'my dads bigger than your dad' sort of debate like this one :D

Its not about better, or faster or more chops. Its about right guys in the right band at the right time. Charlie's drumming is an intrinsic part of the Stones songs and style, with a different drummer those recorded tracks would have been very different. Its about feel and beat placement and micro timing, not chops or technique.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, knicknack said:

How often do you hear bands (even exceptional bands) covering Stones song well? They might be playing the parts accurately but there's always something missing. I saw the stones a few years ago by chance, not expecting to love them. Charlie kicked off the set and gave me instant goosebumps. He also made a ton of mistakes but who cares! 

I do think Steve is the absolute perfect dep for them... his playing on Keith's solo records shows a great match. 

Yep. To me the Stones sound is shambolic, for want of a better word. Keeping that feel without the whole thing falling apart is the real skill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Steve Jordan has a bit previous with Keith Richards, my first thought was he be a perfect fit.  I doubt there was too much of a conversation/debate.

Very much this ↑

Jordan and Richards go back a long way. When Richards embarked on his first solo album Talk Is Cheap in 1987 he hired Steve Jordan as drummer, co-producer and co-songwriter. Anyone who might listen to that album will come away thinking that Jordan's approach to the project was basically a Charlie Watts feel with added seasoning.

So, no-brainer really.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I think SJ fits with band politics too. Daryl came from Jagger’s solo band, which rankled with Richards.
Now Richards gets to bring in one of ‘his’ guys.

Didn’t know that Daryl played with Jagger before taking up with the Stones . I read somewhere that when the bass vacancy arose, Keith had said Charlie could choose who got the job.

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

Didn’t know that Daryl played with Jagger before taking up with the Stones . I read somewhere that when the bass vacancy arose, Keith had said Charlie could choose who got the job.

Thats right, but Neil Peart was busy at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, casapete said:

I saw a clip of a Daryl interview. He related that at the first rehearsal/meeting with the band Keith came up to him and said something like " So you're one of Mick's boys".

Sounded like Daryl took it in good humour and actually gets on fine with Keith.

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Very much this ↑

Jordan and Richards go back a long way. When Richards embarked on his first solo album Talk Is Cheap in 1987 he hired Steve Jordan as drummer, co-producer and co-songwriter. Anyone who might listen to that album will come away thinking that Jordan's approach to the project was basically a Charlie Watts feel with added seasoning.

So, no-brainer really.

Talk is Cheap is a great album. I’d forgotten all about it (I had it on vinyl, all of which was given away).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I think SJ fits with band politics too. Daryl came from Jagger’s solo band, which rankled with Richards.
Now Richards gets to bring in one of ‘his’ guys.

I thought Doug Wimbish was in Jagger's solo band?