Why become a member? ×

Charlie Watts puts a dep in with the Stones

casapete

If your barometer for a great musician is only technique then you're missing a lot of what makes musicians great.

Don't confuse simple with easy. The most impressive thing on the Stones gig I saw at the O2 about 10years ago, was Charlie Watts. He never missed a beat and was spot on for feel all night.

I also saw the Stones twice in 1976 at Earl's Court. and they used 2 drummers, adding Billy Preston's drummer. He was a very good, but totally superfluous to the gig. Charlie owned him.

I am in no way knocking Charlie Watts ability. I just think that to say it's World breaking and captures a very hard to execute style is wrong. I KNOW drummers who can play like Charlie does in the second clip.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm familiar with both of those clips. Neither of them are Stones tunes...?

Yes, but my point is that Charlie Watts keeps time (expertly) but doesn't play in a style that is that hard to emulate. Any drummer worth his salt should be able to keep a decent swing rhythm. I know you ridiculed my earlier post about ceilidh band drummers but some of these guys are very, very good at keeping swing tunes driving along.

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

Yes, but my point is that Charlie Watts keeps time (expertly) but doesn't play in a style that is that hard to emulate. Any drummer worth his salt should be able to keep a decent swing rhythm. I know you ridiculed my earlier post about ceilidh band drummers but some of these guys are very, very good at keeping swing tunes driving along.

When did I say ceilidh drummers couldn't swing or drive things along?

Never. That's when.

TBH neither of those clips show either drummer in their best light.

Edited by wateroftyne

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Something Ross McDonald from Ballachulish might struggle to achieve.

I'm sorry if I took this wrong but I assumed this to be a dig at ceilidh drummers as I never mentioned anyone by name. I thought you were generalising in a condescending kind of way.

That's not a good clip to show Neil Peart.  He doesn't play well on the Buddy Rich Memorial Concerts. Even he knew it, which is why he funded the Burning For Buddy albums. Like I've already said, he was great in Rush, but he didn't fit well in those Big Band situations. He's too stiff.

Watts and Peart do what they do well, but it doesn't mean they could fit in to other gigs comfortably. That's why the Stones have gone for Steve Jordan. He's got the proven track record that he can fit in well with the music, and is a good hang.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

I'm sorry if I took this wrong but I assumed this to be a dig at ceilidh drummers as I never mentioned anyone by name. I thought you were generalising in a condescending kind of way.

i was talking about him / her commanding the respect of the band.

1 hour ago, ubit said:

If you can say which is better you are splitting hairs. Charlie keeps time expertly whilst Neil keeps time and is able to embellish with flair.

You're all missing the point. It doesn't matter how much swing Peart has or doesn't have. He's wearing a polo neck for a jazz gig so it's all good.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

On skimming this thread it seems the main question here is if a dead drummer can dep for an 80 year old drummer? 

I can confirm that is not possible.

Actually it is very possible, "Old Musicians Never Die. They Just Become Holograms".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/magazine/hologram-musicians.html