Why become a member? ×

Charlie Watts puts a dep in with the Stones

casapete

For the first time since he joined the Rolling Stones in 1963, Charlie will have to miss some tour dates due to a medical procedure.

Steve Jordan will be playing drums for the band's US leg of their upcoming 'No filter' tour. Charlie is expected to make a full recovery

after resting. At the age of 80, it's the first dep he's had to use in 58 years! Wishing him all the best.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rolling-stones-charlie-watts-us-tour-1207707/

• Like 2

No offence to Charlie but it's not exactly that hard to dep. for him. Neil Peart once said he was going to have to take it easier as he was getting older and it was harder to faithfully reproduce his drum parts live. He said it's not like I'm Charlie Watts playing with The Stones. I do not think that was meant to sound cruel but you get the gist.

Edited by ubit
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ubit said:

No offence to Charlie but it's not exactly that hard to dep. for him. Neil Peart once said he was going to have to take it easier as he was getting older and it was harder to faithfully reproduce his drum parts live. He said it's not like I'm Charlie Watts playing with The Stones. I do not think that was meant to sound cruel but you get the gist.

I think you're wrong. They'll have chosen the dep very carefully.

Neil P (bless him) certainly couldn't have done it, so in that sense it is hard to dep for Charlie.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I think you're wrong. They'll have chosen the dep very carefully.

Neil P (bless him) certainly couldn't have done it, so in that sense it is hard to dep for Charlie.

If you are a drummist, you will know that Charlie's parts are not that hard. Its not up there with Neil or Joey Jordison. I fully appreciate the decades of great music that Charlie has given us with The Stones but the drum parts are not that complicated.

7 minutes ago, ubit said:

Is it not a hard gig to dep? It's not just about playing the parts. They need someone who can not only play the parts but also cop the right feel, who can perform at a high level in front of thousands of people every night, and can handle the pressures of touring at that level. That's why they've chosen one of the best in the business.

No offence to Neil Peart, but I think he'd have struggled on the Stones gig.

• Like 8

Just now, ubit said:

If you are a drummist, you will know that Charlie's parts are not that hard. Its not up there with Neil or Joey Jordison. I fully appreciate the decades of great music that Charlie has given us with The Stones but the drum parts are not that complicated.

Patronising much?

I'm not a drummer, but I also know there's a hell of a lot more to it than hitting things in time.

Just now, Doddy said:

Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh? Neil Peart would struggle with the feel of the songs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doddy said:

Is it not a hard gig to dep? It's not just about playing the parts. They need someone who can not only play the parts but also cop the right feel, who can perform at a high level in front of thousands of people every night, and can handle the pressures of touring at that level. That's why they've chosen one of the best in the business.

I would hate to hear Yngwie Malmsteens version of Albatross!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Patronising much?

I was quoting the great man himself. Not verbatim but that was what he said. I struggle with my drum parts these days, its not as if I'm Charlie Watts playing with the Stones

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh? Neil Peart would struggle with the feel of the songs?

I'm not joking. I like what Peart did in Rush, but he didn't have that loose, slightly swung feel that would fit in the Stones. He was a lot straighter. Just listen to his playing with the Buddy Rich band- it was really stiff, and not swinging.

• Like 2

Just now, ubit said:

I was quoting the great man himself. Not verbatim but that was what he said. I struggle with my drum parts these days, its not as if I'm Charlie Watts playing with the Stones

Neil was talking about the physical exertion. Which (as you know, presumably being a drummist) is only a small part of it.

Just now, Doddy said:

I'm not joking. I like what Peart did in Rush, but he didn't have that loose, slightly swung feel that would fit in the Stones. He was a lot straighter. Just listen to his playing with the Buddy Rich band- it was really stiff, and not swinging.

Yep. One thing Neil didn't do is swing.

• Like 4

He could play the songs, but they'd sound sh1te.

Neil Peart attended lessons with a drum guru who's name escapes me. This was well into his success. He just wanted to be the best and always wanted to get better and you reckon he couldn't capture the feel of Jumpin' Jack Flash?

1 minute ago, ubit said:

Neil Peart attended lessons with a drum guru who's name escapes me. This was well into his success. He just wanted to be the best and always wanted to get better and you reckon he couldn't capture the feel of Jumpin' Jack Flash?

Freddie Gruber. As a result of which, NP switched to traditional grip for a bit, then got bored and reverted to matched.

Still didn't swing.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

You guys are talking as if swing is some amazing hard to capture technique. I know drummers up here who play in ceilidh bands that can swing expertly.

I never said that it was a hard to capture technique. What I'm saying is that not every player can cop the right feel, and so wouldn't be right for the Stones gig.  You said that it's not a hard gig to dep, I think that it is because it goes way beyond just playing the parts.  

Neil Peart wouldn't fit in with The Rolling Stones in the same way that Jeff Hamilton wouldn't fit in with Rush.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubit said:

You guys are talking as if swing is some amazing hard to capture technique. I know drummers up here who play in ceilidh bands that can swing expertly.

We were talking about Neil Peart...?

Let's not forget the drummer has to command the respect of Jagger, Richards and Wood whilst on stage. Something Ross McDonald from Ballachulish might struggle to achieve.

...never mind remembering not to hit the hat and snare at the same time.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Thanks 1

How often do you hear bands (even exceptional bands) covering Stones song well? They might be playing the parts accurately but there's always something missing. I saw the stones a few years ago by chance, not expecting to love them. Charlie kicked off the set and gave me instant goosebumps. He also made a ton of mistakes but who cares! 

I do think Steve is the absolute perfect dep for them... his playing on Keith's solo records shows a great match. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

He could play the songs, but they'd sound sh1te.

If you can't see that, I don't know what else to say.

(Huge NP fan here, btw.)

Yep, there are drummers out there can play Rush parts and make them sound great but couldn't play Stones, just as there are bassists out there who can play Jaco's first album note for note but can't hold down a Root-Fifth with any feel. Horses for courses, technical genius doesn't cover all basses by any means

Edited by Beedster
spling
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ubit said:

It is in the sense that is nuanced, and some people who think they have it... don't.

• Like 1