Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BC208 anyone?

Newfoundfreedom

I've decided I've had enough of lugging heavy cabs around so I'm looking for a super lightweight rig. I already have a small class D head, so that's covered. 

Then I spotted the TC Electronic BC208's at Thomann (back in stock in the next week or so). The TCE stuff seems to be generally well regarded on here, the reviews are extremely positive, the price is really good at 185 Euros each, they have a small footprint, and they only weigh around 10kg each. 

We're a fairly quiet, small venue, coffee shop type band, and unlike most bands I'm constantly telling my guitarists to turn up and drummer to play louder 😂 So two of these at 200w should be ample for most situations. 

Does anyone have any experience of these cabs? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks. 

I have one of these as an extension cab to my Markbass 2x8 250w combo and I think it sounds great, really full sounding, loud and capable. Surprisingly great low end from the TC too. The overall definition is ok, but not as crisp as the Markbass - the contrast of the two however is nice.image.thumb.jpg.b43d24e0494debb3204a1ab89eeedb66.jpg For the price you can’t go wrong really. 

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one and adore it. It is perfect for home practice and small gigs. I have it paired with following amps: Hotone Thunder bass (5w), Ampeg PF50t, TC BH250 & Bugera BV1001t. It is perfectly fine with all of them and easily deals with the lower output amps. It is superb with the Bugera but I need to be careful as the Bugera is a monster and potential cab killer so, I keep it turned down. 

The BC208 sounds great, very clear with enough bottom end to ensure you have enough bass filtering through. 10/10 cab for me 👍😎👍

Edited by andy67
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, andy67 said:

I have one and adore it. It is perfect for home practice and small gigs. I have it paired with following amps: Hotone Thunder bass (5w), Ampeg PF50t, TC BH250 & Bugera BV1001t. It is perfectly fine with all of them and easily deals with the lower output amps. It is superb with the Bugera but I need to be careful as the Bugera is a monster and potential cab killer so, I keep it turned down. 

The BC208 sounds great, very clear with enough bottom end to ensure you have enough bass filtering through. 10/10 cab for me 👍😎👍

Thanks. 

Yeah I also have the Bugera, so output control into the cabs will be essential.

I'm now debating whether to go for the the TC cabs, or go FRFR speaker for a lightweight rig. 

The new v Harley Benton FRFR speaker looks ridiculously good for the money. A lot more powerful, cheaper and even lighter than two of the TC's. 

One load out from the car, speaker in one hand, bass case in the other.

What is a boy to do? 

https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_frfr_112a_guitar_dsp_monitor.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ABG.EUR

• Like 1

The HB FRFR is a a guitar DSP, unsure if it’ll be any good for bass? Another easy remedy is, get a TC BH250 or Bam 200 to go with your cabs and just slip em into your gig bag or case.👍

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

Just now, andy67 said:

The HB FRFR is a a guitar DSP, unsure if it’ll be any good for bass? Another easy remedy is, get a TC BH250 or Bam 200 to go with your cabs and just slip em into your gig bag or case.👍

It's full range. So more than capable for bass. Strictly speaking there's no such thing as a guitar FRFR, it's just a marketing thing. 

• Like 1

Their returns policy is really good. Given the low weight of the TC cab, I decided to buy the BH250 because it fits in my gig bag pocket meaning I can travel by bus with the light cab and gig bag only, to any city gig. 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

I was looking at the Trace Elliot Elf 2x8, and thinking it might be a nice lightweight option.
The TC 208 does look good value though. I've got a TC BG250-208 combo amp in our guitarists studio, and I like that tiny amp a lot.

Anyone on here compared the Trace Elliot 2x8 with the MB, or with the TC Cab?

I have gigged through  the TCE 2x8 and am happy to confirm it is a very capable little cab.  

I only used it for smaller gigs initially, but got caught out once when the venue was way bigger than I had been led to believe.

It was only powered by a 250 watt class D head so effectively 125 watts in a 7 piece band - and it coped.

There's also the Warwick Gnome 208 cab which I assume is the same as the TC, 4ohm though which might be preferable if you're using a single cab with a 200w micro head. Peavey also do one but only in combo format as far as I can see.

Was also looking at the Warwick Gnome 110 as a possible partner for my EA 110 (unfortunately may have to temporarily go back to using backline) but this seems to only go down to 90hz, surely not particularly usable for anything other than home practice or acoustic jams?

EDIT: Does the Elf 208 still have Faital drivers? Think they originally did but no mention of it on their site, would be a shame is there's been a quiet spec downgrade.

Edited by lemmywinks

Inspired by this thread I broke out my 2x8 and sat it vertically upon my Barefaced midget (1x12). Put the Elf on top.

I know that the clever speaker people can do sums to tell me that this can't possibly sound any good - but it works for me!

• Like 2