Why become a member? ×

NBD Buzz Hornet

such

20 minutes ago, such said:

So my neck is the biggest they've had, and it shows 43mm (and a bit) wide at the nut, the profile I'd call a fat C, fairly deep but not a V or U for sure. 

That’s a bit big for me (luckily 😁) otherwise I think i would have to have one, really nice bass Such 👍

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

After the glowing review and recommendation by @such of his Buzz Hornet, I took the plunge and recently also sampled the work of the Polish bass builder (Mateusz Piotrowski) behind these creations.

I was never really a fan of relic'd instruments, but somehow I seem to have now obtained a few in my stable (including Bravewood and Limelight), and so feel able to comment and compare.

The Buzz has a Jazz-sized neck on an Alder P body, which is light and resonant. Damn........this bass is first and foremost a great "players bass"!! I appreciate that the aesthetics might not suit everybody [the relicing is stage 7 on a scale of 1 (none) to 10 (totally trashed)], but I really do not like some of the Fender Custom shop cookie-cutter examples. The build process was stress-free and took around 4 months overall. 

I have yet to use the Buzz in a band situation, but I am confident that it will do a great job, and I won't give a rip if it gets dinged up in the process. Here are some pics:

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

After the glowing review and recommendation by @such of his Buzz Hornet, I took the plunge and recently also sampled the work of the Polish bass builder (Mateusz Piotrowski) behind these creations.

I was never really a fan of relic'd instruments, but somehow I seem to have now obtained a few in my stable (including Bravewood and Limelight), and so feel able to comment and compare.

The Buzz has a Jazz-sized neck on an Alder P body, which is light and resonant. Damn........this bass is first and foremost a great "players bass"!! I appreciate that the aesthetics might not suit everybody [the relicing is stage 7 on a scale of 1 (none) to 10 (totally trashed)], but I really do not like some of the Fender Custom shop cookie-cutter examples. The build process was stress-free and took around 4 months overall. 

I have yet to use the Buzz in a band situation, but I am confident that it will do a great job, and I won't give a rip if it gets dinged up in the process. Here are some pics:

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

That’s really nice. Was it a custom order? Can I ask what it cost?

Edited by wateroftyne

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

That’s really nice. Was it a custom order? Can I ask what it cost?

Thanks.!

Mateusz keeps a little stock of (mainly) Japanese basses that he has worked on. Here is a link:

https://restauracja-gitar.pl/

The Buzz was indeed a custom order and came in at just under €1000, all in. I really wanted a classic sunburst P in nitro, since I believe Mark at Limelight doesen't offer this unless you provide the painted body for him.

• Like 1

Cool! They are certainly player's instruments. Some of my favourite Polish bands' bass and guitar players use Buzzes as their main gigging tools. 

I've had mine for almost 10 months now and still in honeymoon, absolutely love the neck and fretwork; by far the most playable I've had in a Fender-style bass. 

My long-term observation is that it is also very even across the fretboard tone-wise; all notes on all strings are clear and full, with good lows, mids and highs. I contemplated a PJ initially, and Mateusz said "I can build you a P that you won't be missing the bridge pickup in", and while I certainly enjoy having a bridge pickup on some basses, I feel he delivered. 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 11:10, BlueMoon said:

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

Ooh I love that. A 32” version would be perfect 😃

• 6 months later...

Well, I was so impressed with my first P bass from this builder I asked if he’d create a PJ unlined fretless for me. No problem.

So, I eventually settled on a polyester-coated ebony board. It is currently strung with Labella flats and sounds really lush.

Some pics:

8BD2F894-54AF-4810-B3E4-C31779915908.jpeg

35E1B515-E92B-4951-8C41-9F5F23D11195.jpeg

5090A897-62A7-455F-9D56-C752DAA84766.jpeg

• Like 4