Why become a member? ×

How to mix Bass guitar.

TheGreek

32 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Not sure how useful this is ...

Hmm... Maybe. :/ It's a long-winded exposé of what little effect tiny doses have, when played back through You-tube. The principles are pretty much OK, but the demonstration didn't convince my ears that it was worth messing about with 2.63 db here or there. Not the best subject matter for illustrating the propos, either, in my view. I do agree with the opening comments regarding 'referencing', though.

Disclaimer : I have cloth ears. :$

Best advice he gives, sort your room/monitors out and REFERENCE. Put simply, no-one's room sounds accurate for bass, mine included and I know what I'm doing, I exempt the likes of Abbey Road and Real World from these comments obviously!

Almost no-one has a big enough space in a hobby/home studio to be able to reference bass frequencies properly, so we employ acoustic measures, my room is slightly overtrapped for bass as it's so small, and I have to employ Sonarworks to even out the response, even then the monitors cannot reproduce sub 60hz accurately and are suspect below 120hz, so the only way I can tell what's going on is to listen to recordings I trust and compare the bass response against those. This works well enough until the Flexbass 25 system shows up in a week or two, at which point I'll have to reconfigure the bass traps to take account of the extra bass energy in the room, and re-analyses it.

Bass is probably the hardest part of any mix, it's so fundamental to modern musical styles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Best advice he gives, sort your room/monitors out and REFERENCE. Put simply, no-one's room sounds accurate for bass, mine included and I know what I'm doing, I exempt the likes of Abbey Road and Real World from these comments obviously!

Very much this, I realised over the last couple of days how much I was starting to dislike the sound of an Ampeg B1E into 2 1x12 Markbass cabs with a full fat American Spector with EMG X pups fitted, it was giving this horrible mid range with no focus to the bottom end at all...the answer, move the amp from one wall to another position in the room and I now have the sort of sound you would expect to get with a quality set up!

• Thanks 1