Why become a member? ×

Scott's Bass Lessons technique accelerator

nekomatic

I did this course during the first lockdown. I was a stubbornly pick-only player beforehand; after finishing the course, fingerstyle plucking felt completely natural and it's now my preferred technique. Of course the Technique Accelerator covers a lot of other stuff, but this particular area of improvement gave rise to a sea change for me. 

• Like 6

I did the last one and it is definitely worthy of consideration.

Positives (for me):

• The course is well structured and there are lots of exercises to practice skills which build progressively from module to module and exercise to exercise.
  • There is something for everyone. I'm still a newbie but I found I improved considerably during the course.
  • It is well paced \ it is possible to keep up. This reduces the risk of falling behind, losing enthusiasm and not completing the course.

Cons:

• There is nothing new here that Scott (and others) haven't already covered on either freebie YouTube videos or on existing SBL subscriber content. But it is all in one place and it is very well produced.
  • There is still a huge amount of woffle \ padding from Scott but I guess this comes with the territory.

As usual; everyone's mileage will vary but I found the structure and my ability to keep up meant that I kept the focus and discipline to see it through to the end. While an SBL subscriber I seemed to fall prey to the magpie method of flitting from one shiny lesson to the next without completing anything properly. But that says more about me than SBL \ online lessons.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

sometimes feels like a selling machine... like they won't take no for an answer.. like a high pressure selling techniques learnt from some dodgy online conference...

having said that some of the content is first rate.. but i am so behind on the fretboard accelerator course.. but doing it at my own speed.. and it is enlightening in parts. 

Subscribed to this over the weekend. After 37 years of playing, there were a few eye openers for me in the very first video. Looks like a good investment, but I’ll keep you updated.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Heathy said:

Subscribed to this over the weekend. After 37 years of playing, there were a few eye openers for me in the very first video. Looks like a good investment, but I’ll keep you updated.

I also signed up at the last minute ... I really like his teaching style and, whilst it is not cheap, with paypal "pay over 3 months" I can just about swing it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i did it last year, a bit monotonous some weeks but got a lot out of it. i also refer back to the material from time to time. some of the exercises are really very good.

as someone above said, im sure most of it can be found elsewhere for free, but i still think its decent value.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Through gritted teeth, I did in fact sign up for this.

So far, I've found it absolutely excellent.  I can sort of see a justification for limiting it so that you have to spend a week on each lesson.  That structure is really good and helpful and stops you tearing ahead.  I think I'll make it to the 26 week mark no problem, and I'm sure my playing will have changed quite a lot by then.

The live Q&A stuff I haven't really found useful so far.  I guess that is his justification for "opening" and "closing" the course, but it seems unnecessary to me.  Too many people sharing one hour with Scott, it's just never going to be that helpful.

Apart from the overall structure being so beneficial, the sheer amount of focus you end up putting on tiny things has yielded surprising results.  Some weeks have been easy.  Others have shown me very clearly where areas of my technique are falling down, and given me exercises to improve those areas.  I don't see how this could have been done any better, to be honest.  I'm sure some people won't like the boring repetition of the exercises, but I find it quite therapeutic.

So this grumpy grouch is actually quite impressed.  I feel like even 8 weeks in, I've already got value for my money.

• Like 7