Why become a member? ×

Requiring advice about Bass instrument

projekct

15 hours ago, projekct said:

Is there much difference in quality from say a MIM to a USA fender, I had a beautiful Fender Japan assembled but i don't have access to it just now. Ive looked at Fender Players, American Standards and professional but i reall amn't sure if i would notice the difference.

IME there is no difference at all in build quality, but in some cases the hardware is of different quality.  I have a Chinese Squier CV PB that I play in preference to my MIA precision. It sounds better - possibly because it has a different bridge configuration, is made from different body wood  and has a different tone circuit although there is a slight quality issue with the jack input.  When I bought it I tried a MIM in the shop and preferred both the sound and feel of the Squier to the F branded standard.

18 hours ago, projekct said:

Is there much difference in quality from say a MIM to a USA fender...

Well, the parts of the MIM and USA models are built in Mexico, and the USA model has been put together in USA.

I am sorry, quality and Fender are not synonyms in my unabridged dictionary. Suhr et al. is another story.

• Like 2

Are the US basses better than the MiMs? Well, I have four Jazz basses, one is a US Special (despite the name, it was a lower spec than the US Standard), one is a MiM deLuxe (active, now with an East UK pre-amp) and the other two are both MiM Classic 60s. I couldn't say that any one of them is better than any other, though I don't play the deLuxe much, simply because I refer passive basses.

Just find a bass that feels & sounds right and don't worry about where it was made - but don't pay too much for any of them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bit the bullet and decided to get a Squire Classic Vibe 60 fretted and fret less, I’ll have a few days to try them out and return the unwanted instrument, thank you all for advise and guidance. 

I also tried a p bass and I’m really keen on that too.. I’ll see how well my lessons go and maybe get one as well.

thank you all, I’m glad to be part of this community

archie 

• Like 8

On 02/08/2021 at 22:13, projekct said:

I play Flatwounds on my Yamaha sa2100 and love the tone, I’ll have to give a flat wound bass I think, the Warwick has rounds on them plus they are quite old so are dull sounding 

Go for new rounds! Did I say that? Oops, didn't mean to start that old argument up again!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Just find a bass that feels & sounds right and don't worry about where it was made - but don't pay too much for any of them!

This! I have an American P and an American J, both sound great but I also have a Jap J which sounds great too. Also a Mex P which ALSO sounds great. I have a home built P made from bits from Ebay. It too sounds great. The upshot is you can get any guitar at any price and it may or may not sound great. Try them and have fun doing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

This! I have an American P and an American J, both sound great but I also have a Jap J which sounds great too. Also a Mex P which ALSO sounds great. I have a home built P made from bits from Ebay. It too sounds great. The upshot is you can get any guitar at any price and it may or may not sound great. Try them and have fun doing it.

Of late I have been spending too much time in GG and GAK looking at Fenders (guitars rather than basses). I tried everything from Squier Classic Vibes, right up to American Ultras (and a few special editions in between). The absolute worst, and I mean really terrible instruments are the American 'Performers' (beyond me why anyone would pay £1000+ for one of these), the Squier Classic Vibes and Mex Players were really too good for the money they cost, American Professional 2's and Ultra's are ok, but uninspiring for the amount of cash. The stand outs for me were the Mexican Vintera range, really lovely instruments at a keen price.

However, as investments, i'd pick a used American Fender any day of the week. Bought at the right price it won't lose money - it's like someone is paying you to play!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2021 at 16:09, projekct said:

I had a beautiful Japanese Fender Jazz that I loaned to my wifes uncle.. still waiting to get that badger back, But im open to trying anything. Just spotted a nice Sandberg TT and a Sandberg fretless, but im worried i spend it and cant do it justice.

Thank You

Sounds like knocking on this chap's door and retrieving your MIJ Jazz is the cheapest and most sensible option.

• Like 4

On 03/08/2021 at 11:53, itu said:

Well, the parts of the MIM and USA models are built in Mexico, and the USA model has been put together in USA.

I am sorry, quality and Fender are not synonyms in my unabridged dictionary. Suhr et al. is another story.

Welll...maybe some parts...

45 minutes ago, projekct said:

Well today I took delivery of a beautiful fender Jazz am standard in mint condition, truly thankful to all of you for advise and guidance leading to the purchase.. thank you

E02E3206-380B-481F-9993-49F473F53728.jpeg

2119F43A-D978-4B3D-81AE-92D4C506ABCB.jpeg

D5C91A0D-794D-4899-8CC7-C2009AD07315.jpeg

What a beauty. White or cream colored basses are the only ones tort looks good on.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2021 at 22:43, projekct said:

Is there much difference in quality from say a MIM to a USA fender, I had a beautiful Fender Japan assembled but i don't have access to it just now. Ive looked at Fender Players, American Standards and professional but i reall amn't sure if i would notice the difference.

Ooh 🍿time

IMHO there is a small difference these days  but its minimal at best and not worth the extra ££

mex instruments are IME fine in quality now, I see US as not consistently well made as they should be for the price asked 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

On 10/08/2021 at 22:03, projekct said:

Well today I took delivery of a beautiful fender Jazz am standard in mint condition, truly thankful to all of you for advise and guidance leading to the purchase.. thank you

E02E3206-380B-481F-9993-49F473F53728.jpeg

2119F43A-D978-4B3D-81AE-92D4C506ABCB.jpeg

D5C91A0D-794D-4899-8CC7-C2009AD07315.jpeg

Mmm, tasty.

glad you got a good one ... i recently bought a squire classic 60s vibe jazz literally as something just to noodle on in lockdown since all my gear was in storage abroad. I honestly didn't expect too much for 300 quid new but i am absolutely blown away by it, it sounds great, pretty light and plays like butter with low action. So now its a keeper, didn't see that one coming at all. Reminds me a lot of my old early 80s Japanese squire precision, should never have let that one go.

Edited by Musicman666