Why become a member? ×

Requiring advice about Bass instrument

projekct

Hi

Looking for some advise, i am a long time guitar player and have recently taken up Bass (warning Scott Devine is a gateway drug). I have a lovely 5 String Warwick Rockbass (corvette??) but I'm looking to get a 4 string too. Im sort of lost on options. Ive always looked lustfully at Fender J basses and recently Sandberg TT4, but im aware that Im unlikely to gig so spending lots isn't really what i want to do or afford!

Id like a good easy to play J or P bass thats not gonna break the bank, maybe up to £900.

Also Im sort of fascinated with fretless and wonder if buying something new to me should I consider fretless and go for the whole enchilada! 

Thank you all for advice and guidance.

As one who mostly plays fretless,  I'm always going to suggest taking that leap! If you already have a nice fretted 5 string then a fretless 4 string means lots of bases covered, and a budget as you mention means you should be able to find a good one.

Basses For Sale is well worth a look from time to time. You might find something local or within easy distance, to boot. I'm on the mobile so can't see where you are.

Good luck in your quest! 

• Like 2

£900 should get you a good used Japanese made Fender. The quality of the MIJ (made in Japan) Fenders is very good and the necks being especially good. 

That said it would def be worth checking out the Player Series, this Mexican made range is similarly very good, and new is cheaper than the Japanese models. 

• Like 1

I had a beautiful Japanese Fender Jazz that I loaned to my wifes uncle.. still waiting to get that badger back, But im open to trying anything. Just spotted a nice Sandberg TT and a Sandberg fretless, but im worried i spend it and cant do it justice.

Thank You

• Sad 1

I'd suggest getting used to what you have currently before throwing sackfuls of money at instruments.

Playing fretless is not as simple as you'd think - I've owned several but always struggled. If it's your plan to then consider locking away all your fretted basses to avoid distraction. 

If you're undecided on a J or P consider getting a P/J which will give you the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

It is probable that your budget leads you to a decent instrument. If you want a light playing bass, put some less to the actual bass and take it to someone who is able to do a good setup. Try light strings, like 40 - 95; I am using SS RW strings in my fretlesses, too. Flats are really flat to my taste, but if you want to play that Motown stuff, they are functional.

• Like 1

The difference in actual quality between inexpensive and expensive is usually minimal nowadays because of the costs of labour and high level of machining, so you really don't have to spend much to get a decent quality bass on a budget. 

What you could do if you're undecided between fretted and fretless is get 2 basses identical to each other, but one is fretted and one is fretless. Both of these are quite lightweight around 8lb or under.

• Like 1

Good idea, why didn't i think of that LOL. I have an eye on a Fretless Squire Classic Vibe 60s Jazz, which is probably not too bad.. i'll get the fretted version and see what one i prefer, I love the sound of Fretless growing up with Jaco and Alain Caron sort of gave me the taste.

I want to learn properly not be a guitarist who plays bass, but be a bass guitarist!

• Like 1

Is there much difference in quality from say a MIM to a USA fender, I had a beautiful Fender Japan assembled but i don't have access to it just now. Ive looked at Fender Players, American Standards and professional but i reall amn't sure if i would notice the difference.

My EBMM L3 BFR was expensive but shes incredible, Im looking to be comfortable on the starter levels of bass learning. Maybe when I feel good ill sell the GTR and buy a better bass.

Thanks

If you really like the sound of fretless go for it, don't be put off by the fact it is difficult, nothing that it worth doing is easy. 

Plus for £900 you could easily get a nice fretless and a nice fretted instrument if you buy used instruments. 

• Thanks 1

Fretless isn't hard... only the thought of it is. You have nothing to fear but fear itself, young Jedi. Even unlined.  Scott Devine recommends lined. Unlined is fine and more satisfying knowing you're crafting your music rather than playing by numbers. Don't be seduced into having your strings too low at the nut.  That entrancing mwah sound becomes very tiresome after a short while. With a nut height of around 0.3mm your f'less will sound like a normal bass - just nicer and more creative.  My Revelation costs under £200 new [Bass Gallery, London].   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

I didn’t know that, I’ve never played a fretless and I don’t like the mwah sound, I might have to try one 

I think the reason is that if your nut height is very low or non-existent the strings touches down on the fingerboard over an extended length so buzzes, effectively. Having it a bit higher means the string only touches the board where you're pressing it down, giving a cleaner more conventional note.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lownote said:

I think the reason is that if your nut height is very low or non-existent the strings touches down on the fingerboard over an extended length so buzzes, effectively. Having it a bit higher means the string only touches the board where you're pressing it down, giving a cleaner more conventional note.  

A similar effect can be had with more neck relief and a higher action too. Also, limiting the amount of vibrato applied and not sliding into notes will reduce what is normally considered to be the fretless sound. 

• Like 1