Why become a member? ×

Which isolated bass recordings would you love to hear?

JJTee

I’m quite lucky in that a lot of my favourite basslines (Le Freak) or the bass to songs/bands (e.g. Guns N Roses) that really got me into music in those formative teen years, have appeared in their isolated form  on YouTube over the last few years. 

For some, they just confirm what is obvious on the record - Rio, and Le Freak, for example which are very punchy and clear in the mix anyway, and where there is no mystery revealed as to what is being played. 
It made me think about which songs I would really love to hear the isolated bass, and I realised it would be more about songs where I’d want to  reveal exactly what’s being played on some of those more subtle and less bass-punchy mixes. 

I decided it would be Knowing Me Knowing You. Many might consider it an odd choice, but it’s a crazy bass line and I still struggle to pick out exactly what’s being played, even with a good TAB and someone uploading a ‘sort of’ bass enhanced version. Notes are hinted at, the pitch being quite hard to hear on some very staccato notes, and with a wonderful use of dynamics.

Anyway, what would others love to hear?

And the two songs that made me pick up the bass. What a great player Duff is:

Edited by JJTee
  • Like 2

Good choices.

I’d like to hear the bass on any of the tracks on Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols. Not to learn them of course, managed that 40 years ago, I’d just like to hear the bass tone as it fits so well with the other instruments.

• Like 2

On 03/08/2021 at 13:40, cetera said:

That bass track for 'Knowing Me Knowing You' is mindblowing..... Love Rutger (RIP) even more now!

I know what you mean. Feels very improvised, with all kinds of quirky phrasing and note choices in the verses and choruses, very subtle and odd in places - just nothing that most bass players would think of playing - counterpointed with the solid walk down at the end of each chorus that works so well with the signature guitar riff for the song. It really contributes to the character of the song.

Maybe it was a first take or something, which he thought he’d get a few go’s at, but Benny and Bjorn thought “f**k it, let’s keep it in!”.  I can’t believe he got away with that barmy dissonant fill in the 3rd chorus at about the 3:11 mark.

Edited by JJTee
  • Like 1

I’d love to hear Mark Egan’s bass part from San Lorenzo, the first track on the first Pat Metheny group album.

I learned what I thought was a reasonable stab at the opening riff and thought I’d try to play along with the track to develop it further. The bass Gods we’re having none of that - don’t get ahead of yourself there sonny mi lad!

The biggest problem is that the lowest note is an Eb. Is that a good enough excuse to buy a five string? 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Velarian said:

The biggest problem is that the lowest note is an Eb. Is that a good enough excuse to buy a five string? 😂

Nah, just buy a Digitone Drop or detune your whole bass a semitone ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Because it is an old track it is quite muffled in the mix:everlasting-bass.mp3

Russ Stableford was the session bass player used for Everlasting Love. There was a big fuss made by the tabloid media at the time when it was revealed that none of the band had actually played on the record, it was all session players. Well, who would have thought ?  😏

I played with Love Affair for a while in the mid '70's, (I think I was their 13th bass player !) so I know that song backwards. Despite the appalling quality, the extracted bass line that Woodinblack has posted does sound like the original to me.  And this really is a song where muted pick playing is essential !

• Like 2