Why become a member? ×

Gretsch Junior Jet II G2220 in Sunburst - SOLD
£225
Fakenham, Norfolk

Obrienp

Selling this Gretsch Junior Jet II bass in Sunburst. It is only a few months old but my custom build short scale should be arriving soon and this was (a very good) stopgap. You will see in the photos that it is in excellent condition. I have made the following upgrades to it: CTS potentiometers with orange drop capacitor, Switchcraft switch, TrueTone full contact jack socket and American Gretsch control knobs (necessitated by the wider shaft on the CTS pots). All of that (approx £50 worth) will be included in the sale for £225.

I have also fitted a high mass bridge with proper chunky brass saddles and Gotoh machine heads. You can have the bridge for an extra £10 and the machine heads for £30, which is half what I paid for them, otherwise I will put the originals back on. I have pictured the original components in a separate photo. If you are strapped for cash, I would strongly recommend you choose the bridge. The original Gretsch bridge is adequate at best in my opinion. The Gotoh machine heads have a better feel, wider posts and better gearing (1:20) than the originals. 

Whichever configuration you go for, you will get the original parts in the photo. Also because I am such a generous human being (LoL) I will throw in a barely used set of Dunlop 45/105 stainless steel flatwounds that I tried to get a more traditional sound. They worked for that and are good strings but I decided I preferred the more aggressive sound from the round wounds. Anyway, you can experiment for yourself and save yourself the best part of £50 in the process.

If you don’t know these basses there is plenty of stuff online but a quick summary: short scale (a 30.9”), twin Gretsch humbuckers, single volume and tone controls with 3-way switch, 40mm nut, 19mm string spacing at the bridge. The pickups are the hottest standard fit I have come across in any bass. They have their own individual sound: not as muddy as Epiphone/Gibson EB0/EB3, perhaps not as aggressive as a Thunderbird. I have read somewhere that you can get a Precision like tone if you play with the EQ on your amp. Possibly but the mid position is pretty unique in my opinion. Famous users include Mike Kerr of Royal Blood; well when they started out anyway but now he has sponsorship from all sorts.

You can come and try/collect in Fakenham. I would meet/deliver within a 50 mile radius. In extremis I will courier at your expense and on receipt of full payment: sorry to sound untrusting but I have been had before. Street price new currently varies between £293 and £350, depending on which online box shifter you choose. @£225 you get a practically new bass with better electrics and for £265 all the mods you could want, short of very expensive replacement pickups (there don’t appear to be many drop in options available in the UK). 

6CC43A57-5988-4731-8F84-FE8311C96DE1.jpeg

9D752F42-E8F8-4A4A-B51A-67EB0B963C93.jpeg

8613A295-913E-4268-A3FD-56FEA4C7C6FF.jpeg

18DCCE76-C29B-4261-A484-ABBF1A560F0E.jpeg

681313F7-BB60-4BA1-9033-305330B95331.jpeg

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 4

• Obrienp changed the title to Gretsch Junior Jet II G2220 in Sunburst - SOLD
  • gary mac locked this topic