Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge

lurksalot

:facepalm:

Just to say that the penny has finally dropped, concerning the picture. As I've noted elsewhere, I'm not on 'top form' at the moment, but still... There have been clues galore, and I even have the photo as my PC 'desktop' screen (as every month, to help with 'inspiration...), but it was only last night that illumination came. :$ It makes a bit of a nonsense of my compo for the month, though; more fool me..!
Thanks for the picture; it certainly had me pondering. :friends:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

:facepalm:

Just to say that the penny has finally dropped, concerning the picture. As I've noted elsewhere, I'm not on 'top form' at the moment, but still... There have been clues galore, and I even have the photo as my PC 'desktop' screen (as every month, to help with 'inspiration...), but it was only last night that illumination came. :$ It makes a bit of a nonsense of my compo for the month, though; more fool me..!
Thanks for the picture; it certainly had me pondering. :friends:

Initially I just though it was a door photoshopped onto a pic.  Even now someone has suggested its  mirror it's messing with my head.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicko said:

Initially I just though it was a door photoshopped onto a pic.  Even now someone has suggested its  mirror it's messing with my head.

yep

its the toilet door in @Leonard Smalls local,

it totally confused me when I turned the corner and it genuinely looked like a random door in the middle of the room .

I had to photograph it 😂

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2021 at 17:41, Leonard Smalls said:

I done one...

My "piece" (I hesitate to call it a song!!!) is an impression of who is in the mirror, and what happens when he's summoned.

Basses are fretless Lightwave, plus Wal doing guitar emulations and weird noises. Keys are Ableton's own grand piano sound, drums programmed through EZ Drummer using Clyde Stubblefield's Phased Funk kit, saxes edited and resampled heavily from Loopmasters loops.

I tell you , its bloody scary if this is what inspires you when you see a picture of your local's toilet door  :sun_bespectacled:

but when I put it like that , whatever possessed me to offer a picture of a toilet door for inspiration :D

edited to avoid @Dad3353 's flying car 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I tell you , its bloody scary if this is what inspires you when you see a picture of your local's toilet door  :sun_bespectacled:

but when I put it like that , whatever possessed me to offer a picture of a toilet door for inspiration :D

edited to avoid @Dad3353 's flying car 

tHgijtm.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I tell you , its bloody scary if this is what inspires you when you see a picture of your local's toilet door 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe!

Staggering drunks knocked into the fire by the shoulder of Brian. I've seen I-beams rust in the dark by the Tref-y-Clawdd gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...

etc

• Haha 1

I'm in. I'm not sure this is really what I was aiming for when I started but... ehhh... there you go.

I saw this as a doorway to the darker side of restaurant eating, where items not fit for any printed menu wait within for the more adventurous gastronaut. You takes your unlabelled grey meat and go where it takes you, with more than just the taste of regret in your mouth.

The technical stuff - my lovely new Yamaha kit into the cheapest Thomann and Behringer mics and preamps. Bass is a Yamaha BB1100s into an Avid Eleven. Guitar is a Bacchus strat for the twang and a Tokai 335 for the bop, also into the Eleven. All recorded into Protools with additional noises from Reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

I'm in. I'm not sure this is really what I was aiming for when I started but... ehhh... there you go.

I saw this as a doorway to the darker side of restaurant eating, where items not fit for any printed menu wait within for the more adventurous gastronaut. You takes your unlabelled grey meat and go where it takes you, with more than just the taste of regret in your mouth.

The technical stuff - my lovely new Yamaha kit into the cheapest Thomann and Behringer mics and preamps. Bass is a Yamaha BB1100s into an Avid Eleven. Guitar is a Bacchus strat for the twang and a Tokai 335 for the bop, also into the Eleven. All recorded into Protools with additional noises from Reason.

Me likey.  I half expect Huggy Bear to be hiding behind the door.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

saw this as a doorway to the darker side of restaurant eating, where items not fit for any printed menu wait within for the more adventurous gastronaut. You takes your unlabelled grey meat and go where it takes you, with more than just the taste of regret in your mouth.

8D8C3BC7-604D-453D-B5C6-7B198B1EEB1D.jpeg.47f8ec0dc788c71139809733a7837b5b.jpeg

• Haha 3

OK, here is my entry.

This song is about those people that you meet that show you a false front - and you never know what is behind the facade. I wanted to get a grungy feel - not sure if I quite got there.

The technical stuff.

Guitars are my ageing Patrick Eggle New York, through Amplitube (Fender Bassman 57 emulator at the start, Soldano SLD100 and a Mesa triple rectifier emulator at the end).  Bass is my Fender American Special PB through Amplitube's Fender Bassman 300 emulator with a touch of overdrive.  Drums are MT Power Drumkit. .  All recorded in Cubase.

In case you were wondering there is no autotune on the vocals 😀

Edited by Nicko
  • Like 3

Good evening, pop-pickers! Here's my entry for the merry month of August.

All this talk of mirrors and toilet doors is a mile away from where my befuddled brain has led me. My take on the picture is that the door is a portal to a fantasy dining experience with a famous face from the afterlife. I join @Nicko in eschewing all that autotune malarkey so you'll just have to deal with my somewhat odd attempt at an Ian Dury style vocal which veers into Danny Dyer territory at some points.

(Low) Tech news - Roland Cube amp, guitar Epiphone Gibson Special, bass Westfield VB960 short scale utilising an EHX Crying Bass wah/fuzz pedal, Yamaha YPT 240 keyboard, drums from a Looperman sample and cockney geezer vox captured by an Apogee MiC+. All recorded, as usual, with NCH Wavepad and Audacity.

Lyrics below if you feel the need to work out what the hell I'm babbling on about.

Spoiler

Good evening, madam, good evening, sir

Welcome from your favourite restaurateur

At our little gaff you get a damn fine meal

And a whole lot more, it's a reasonable deal

Through the fantasy door, grab an ice-cold beer

And meet a long, gone star of yesteryear

Our list of clients span all of time

They're here for you to wine and dine

Please, take a menu

(Whatcha gonna get?)

Plates of moussaka on the table

And waiting for a chat there's Clark Gable

Gefilte fish beside Groucho Marx

Or break the bread with Rosa Parks

Plato likes a big mixed grill

Pork chow mein for Buffalo Bill

Chow on down next to Freidrich Nietzsche

A bottle of red and a pepperoni pizza

Everything to your satisfaction? Sweet!

(Who you gonna see?)

Shakespeare will share a wild boar

Split a shish kebab with Patrick Moore

Chicken steak avec Muhammad Ali

Ingrid Bergman and a biryani

Kenneth Williams always wants to go Dutch

Orson Welles likes to eat so much

Elizabeth Taylor's at the bar

'Cus Richard Burton's having yet another jar

For dessert, can I interest you in a double knickerbocker glory with Elvis Presley? Tasty!

At the Dead Good Grub Club

(Whatcha gonna get?)

(Who you gonna see?)

At the Dead Good Grub Club

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Ah balls. Missed the deadline.

Not to worry Andy , post it up and I’ll try and add it to the voting thread later today  when I’m back in , it will still get a few listens but I’m not sure if I can edit the poll at this stage. 

11 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Lovely. What year is it?

It's got a 4 digit serial number so I think it's mid 90s as they didn't start using the 4 digit format until 94.  I still have the receipt somewhere - I bought it new from Project Music on the A4 in Hounslow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Nice. I have one of the short lived Iommi signature models, based on the Vienna made in 94. I got to visit the factory in 96. Lovely guitars.

Ooh - just had a look and your's looks lovely.  I like the inlays.  Mine is a bit less grand, a NY Stage - the cheapest model they made.  Unbelievably I saw one on fleabay a few days ago for around £550 and it wasn't in great condition.