Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Having been humbled by the BC collective who most kindly showed a voting preference in my direction for the July Challenge I am honoured to offer the following image for you for the August Challenge.

I hope this one offers a bit of intrigue for you, but I do have to come clean a bit on this, this particular image is a scene that is very familiar to one amongst us.

It totally did my head in when I stumbled on to it , but maybe that was due to a little refreshment that I participated in beforehand.

It has been slightly edited , but is reasonably accurate in its portrayal of the scene

404871200_AugustMod.thumb.jpg.1f71d2c688bf79f73d8ff3107211fb89.jpg

Usual rules apply. You know the drill:

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, its August, all the pipes should be in Edinburgh now . panpipes only if you have too.

No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

Deadline wise , we will split our just desserts and call midnight on  'National Banana Split Day' , and yes, you probably have till about 19.00 on the 26th, ( the clue given here is that 'National Banana Split Day' is the 25th).

I'm definitely getting this day off a U.S. site, but, as today is U.S Universal birthday for shelter dogs  , don't paws, give yourselves a treat :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Interesting pic.  I'm not sure whether the door will be the main theme of that utterly hideous carpet.

There is an obscure glass design not dissimilar to that called ‘everglade’ ,some customers still choose it but it really is not for me !

On 02/08/2021 at 18:58, lurksalot said:

I edited the sign out as I thought that just a toilet door probably needed more pizazz 😂

I don't know.  Now my track might be called Donde estan los servicios now as the sign is missing.

9 hours ago, Nicko said:

I don't know.  Now my track might be called Donde estan los servicios now as the sign is missing.

To be fair , the sign just stated the periods of the door being unlocked.

but Prince saw it first , it was a Sign of The Times 

I’m going to need a taxi out of my own thread at this rate 🤦‍♂️

10 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I’m going to need a taxi

I suspect I will to...

Perhaps I should start apologising early!

For I have Made Music (*), and Doug will be pleased to hear it's not constrained by the bourgeois concepts of melody, time and key... Watch this space (preferably with industrial ear defenders on).

*or at least something related to music, perhaps a closer relation than a shovel of dog do, though not as close as steel nails on a blackboard

• Haha 1

On 06/08/2021 at 08:47, Leonard Smalls said:

I suspect I will to...

Perhaps I should start apologising early!

For I have Made Music (*), and Doug will be pleased to hear it's not constrained by the bourgeois concepts of melody, time and key... Watch this space (preferably with industrial ear defenders on).

*or at least something related to music, perhaps a closer relation than a shovel of dog do, though not as close as steel nails on a blackboard

Sounds grrreat! As my friend Tony used to say...

• Haha 1

Deadline is approaching and I've not really started yet..! I have an idea (well, a notion, or sketch, or vague thought...) and have even collected a few bits'n'bobs (as one does...) that may serve, but my get up and go seems to have got up and gone, for now. As a bonus, my eyes have gone all funny as of this evening, and even typing this is very odd, with as many corrections as correct hits. Hmm... S'not as if I don't get enough sleep, either. Hmm... Old age, eh..? It's a rum do alright. :$

17 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

As a bonus, my eyes have gone all funny as of this evening, and even typing this is very odd, with as many corrections as correct hits. Hmm... S'not as if I don't get enough sleep, either. Hmm... Old age, eh..? It's a rum do alright. :$

Maybe you were sleepwalking and walked into that door in the OP?

:D

I hope your eyes get better.

👍

I guess I'm the first in then , I am off away hopefully for a week in a few days time so I had to get busy with this.

I had a great idea about the door and what it could represent which is the initial point of the opening lyric , but as I based the rest of the tune around that I got a bit stuck , the main lyric will give you the gist of that !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I done one...

My "piece" (I hesitate to call it a song!!!) is an impression of who is in the mirror, and what happens when he's summoned.

Basses are fretless Lightwave, plus Wal doing guitar emulations and weird noises. Keys are Ableton's own grand piano sound, drums programmed through EZ Drummer using Clyde Stubblefield's Phased Funk kit, saxes edited and resampled heavily from Loopmasters loops.

• Like 2

Coming in early to get ahead of some days away.

Blurb:

At first I thought the door was in a mirrored wall... so I based the lyrics around seeing a mirror Vs door as a metaphor similar to glass half empty or full. Also went for a more reflective feel in the music.

End of Blurb

Technical notes:

Studio One DAW. Studio One drum app loaded with “Red Zep” drum sounds, programmed via piano roll. Vantage Bass. Squier Tele guitar. Studio one piano and organ played via Akai Mini Play keyboard. Hudson Ukulele. Sure SM 58 Mic.

Used a couple of new (to me) DAW techniques:

•  ‘Automation’ to control an effect pedal off/on and control volume up/down on one element.
  •  The other new technique? Whisper it........ Autotune! (well it's some form of pitch correction anyway)

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 2

Here is my contribution to the August 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Lurksalot.
There is a school of Science claiming the existence of an infinite number of Universes, in which, not only are all things possible, but all things must exist, somewhere or other. This is an illustration of this, whereby, in this Universe, The Monolith is, in fact, The Doordis, an invention of the wise Doctor Hugh, travelling through multi-dimensions in this strange craft. One might be fooled by its apparently slim profile, but, once ajar, one may see the inside, which resembles very much Windsor Great Park (yes, along with deer...). The apparition of this 'vehicle' in this humble bar is likely to provoke a reaction from the autochtones; they will throw bones in the air and emit whooping noises (just like every football night, really...).
I spent quite some time and effort creating the 'Doordis' effect from half a dozen samples of various sound Fx, only for it to almost disappear in the mix..! The rest is mostly Kontakt choirs, a piano, a bamboo marimba, and even a 12-string Ricky guitar in there..! Reaktor played a part, too, and I played around with several 'noise' synths to get the 'swooshing'. Obviously reverbs and delays (Cockos...), and a final polishing-off with a mastering plug-in. Which DAW..? Reaper, of course; what else..? With apologies offered to the BBC and to Mr Strauss.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 2