Why become a member? ×

Do you ever have as much GAS for other instruments as you do for basses?

Nope nothing, I did have an itch for an acoustic guitar a few years ago because I like the sound of them, and I got quite a few chords down, and a bit of finger playing but It was just something to mess around with while sitting on the sofa, I don’t think it’s for me 🙂

For me it's old gear (including amps), especially Strats and to a lesser extent Les Pauls and Teles.  All that is way out of reach financially for me though, and if I'm being honset, I don't GAS over stuff the way I used to and am probably at the point where I won't be buying anything else unless I win the Lottery.

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

The main non bass gear that I look at, and want, is drum stuff, but I've already got quite a lot (4 kits, 20 something snares, bags of cymbals), so don't really need any more.

Other than that, I mainly just want pedals and accessories now.

Ah! The old Crash Bang Whallop Syndrum 😁😂

• Haha 1

Modular synth stuff. It's never ending... I have a spreadsheet with a want list on it, narrowed down to ones that have different functionality to anything I currently have. There's 13 modules on there totalling around £4200, excluding a case and power...
plus I'm currently GASsing for a Gretsch and another Jazzmaster...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

No, because I can't really play any other instrument. 

I occasionally look at a Strat and think, that'd be nice. But it'd be a waste of money because I can only just about play A, E, G and D chords...maybe occasionally C 

Since when did that stop anyone?😂

Buy a capo and you’re good to go. 😉

Oh yes, the GAS is strong for everything keyboards - especially acoustic pianos, Hammond organs, electronic pianos and expensive synths and ... and ...

As relayed earlier, I actually came from keyboards to bass as bass is a lot cheaper ...
... or so I thought. 
I've used more money on bass gear in a few years than I'd used on keyboard gear the previous part of my life. 😱

I think I need to go back to buying modular synths ... and save some money. 😁

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2

Cymbals. I'm really bad for it. I look at 2nd hand cymbal listings at least twice a week. I have to force myself to close the tabs. Sometimes I just can't resist. If you'd told me 10 years ago my main instrument would be drums, and I'd be taking £2K worth of cymbals to hit at every gig, I'd have laughed my derrière off

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cheddatom said:

Cymbals...

There's no substitute, unlike basses, where modern techniques have made excellent 'budget' models available. Good cymbals are not cheap at all, and inexpensive ones really hurt the ears, once spoiled for the good'uns..! 9_9

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There's no substitute, unlike basses, where modern techniques have made excellent 'budget' models available. Good cymbals are not cheap at all, and inexpensive ones really hurt the ears, once spoiled for the good'uns..! 9_9

very true. I had terrible cymbals for ages. One night in London at a fancy hotel bar, I heard a drummer sounding amazing. My ears could hear hats, crash and ride. I turned to look and all he'd got were a pair of hats with a bit black K on them. I asked him in the break, turns out they're K Custom Session hats (Steve Gadd). I saved for 3 years until I finally bought them, and that was the start of it for me. The rest of my cymbals let the hats down and I just had to upgrade. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

very true. I had terrible cymbals for ages. One night in London at a fancy hotel bar, I heard a drummer sounding amazing. My ears could hear hats, crash and ride. I turned to look and all he'd got were a pair of hats with a bit black K on them. I asked him in the break, turns out they're K Custom Session hats (Steve Gadd). I saved for 3 years until I finally bought them, and that was the start of it for me. The rest of my cymbals let the hats down and I just had to upgrade. 

Years ago, my then drummer spent a lot of money on an amazing large, dark ride. I can't remember the make.

We'd gone together and spent hours trying cymbals while I played my double bass looking to find a combination that sounded magical.

That ride transformed his whole kit, consolidated his drumming and I miss hearing him play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

very true. I had terrible cymbals for ages...

I made the 'mistake' of getting the very best from the outset, inspired at the time by the Joe Morello 'Seven Sound Set'. With my Camco kit, I bought Païste 602 Sound-Edge hats, crash and ride. What I didn't know at the time (but do now :$ ...) was that they are not as resistant as other, lesser, cymbals. For the light, folk/pop I played in the UK before moving to France, they were ideal. Once in the context of a non-mic'ed French variety band, they couldn't take the punishment. They were replaced by Païste 2002's; I now play mostly Sabian AXX (a much more modern-sounding repertoire...), but bought a pair of re-issue 602 hats for recording. I've learned my lesson; I don't 'play out' with those. The 2002's are fine for 'live' work. A pair of original 602 hats, in good condition, are now like hen's teeth. The re-issues are, however, splendid (but still not cheap..!). Who'd be a drummer, eh..? 9_9

• Like 4

The interplay between the sound of bass and cymbals is perhaps one of the most vital in the sonics of the rhythm section as it acts as a bridge to the higher frequency and melody instruments. As dad says especially in the recording of music

Edited by Dad3353

Current bass GAS being scratched by ACG, it may or may not last...

I've upgraded my studio many times over the last few years, monitors, interfaces, control surfaces, channel strips, plug-ins, the list goes on.

I've just ordered the Amphion flexbass 25 system to cure the long standing lack of LF in my small room, the truth is that I need a bigger room, but it'll suit for now.

The ideal target is this:

https://rupertneve.com/products/5088

On 01/08/2021 at 01:25, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I have occasional GAS for a Moog, which I would probably only ever use in my 80's band.

The keys player brings 5 keyboards to the show and he knows how to use them, so my GAS seems pointless 🤷‍♂️

Photo from his first gig with us last night.

IMG_2981.JPG.f5ccb7f11088a6d683fc4ffee3ceade0.JPG

So that's what he does when he's not doing Masterchef.

For me it's guitars (not as much as basses though). Although I'm not a great guitarist so I resist buying too many or anything that's expensive.

• Haha 1

I tend to make instruments when I'm bored at home. 

The lack of gigs during Covid has meant I've been tinkering with 6 string guitars 

This was completed yesterday (PRS McCarty humbucker in the neck position,  custom wound flat pole tele pickup in the bridge. Gotoh "in-tune" saddles, USA Bigsby B5 trem)

20210802_222155.jpg

• Like 3

I had GAS for an electric guitar a few Christmases ago. I wanted to do some recording etc and the acoustic doesn't quite do the job. I got a very well regarded Squier classic vibe. I can't see what the fuss is about, I'm just glad I got a good deal on it as it largely does nothing. I occasionally GAS for a nicer electric guitar but have absolutely zero need to tie up more money sitting in cases. I've already got 5 spare basses doing that! 

1 hour ago, kevin_lindsay said:

I tend to make instruments when I'm bored at home. 

The lack of gigs during Covid has meant I've been tinkering with 6 string guitars 

This was completed yesterday (PRS McCarty humbucker in the neck position,  custom wound flat pole tele pickup in the bridge. Gotoh "in-tune" saddles, USA Bigsby B5 trem)

20210802_222155.jpg

Very nice, Sir. If only there were some website, not unlike BC, that was for guitars and has a Tele Tuesday thread, where you could display this fine piece of work. ;) 

Some more of my home made Tele endeavours. The bare wood was sprayed by myself at home (out of the kitchen window in my apartment!!) in nitrocellulose lacquer. 

The Andy Summers tribute is currently owned by my brother.  He tried it out shortly after it was completed, and said, "you're not getting this back.  I need to buy it from you). I'm now working on another one as my next covid project build. Target burst on the body will be sprayed in the tone few days if everything goes to pla. 

20210407_142819.jpg

20210721_183103.jpg

20210721_183111.jpg

20210727_110409.jpg

20210721_063614.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Some more of my home made Tele endeavours. The bare wood was sprayed by myself at home (out of the kitchen window in my apartment!!) in nitrocellulose lacquer. 

The Andy Summers tribute is currently owned by my brother.  He tried it out shortly after it was completed, and said, "you're not getting this back.  I need to buy it from you). I'm now working on another one as my next covid project build. Target burst on the body will be sprayed in the tone few days if everything goes to pla. 

20210407_142819.jpg

20210721_183103.jpg

20210721_183111.jpg

20210727_110409.jpg

20210721_063614.jpg

You should put these in the build diaries forum, it's ace! https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/15-build-diaries/

• Like 1