Why become a member? ×

Do you ever have as much GAS for other instruments as you do for basses?

I've currently got serious GAS for another semi-acoustic /semi-hollow body guitar in addition to my Sheraton. Particularly looking for a single cut with a hard tail and have my eye on an Ibanez Artcore AGS73FM in natural and a D'Angelico Premier DC in champagne.  It might be heresy to admit it but of late I've been playing my Sheraton a lot more than my basses. I love drumming too but we don't have enough room for multiple kits around the house.

Yeah, guitars and drums for me too. I wouldn't get more than one kit but I recently upgraded from a trusty Pearl Export to a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute. The Oak Custom X snare is an even more recent acquisition. I reached a point where I had the guitars I wanted a few years ago, to cover the kind of stuff I play on them.

30F075AE-6B4D-46E1-84FD-9E547686E1B5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I go through a guitar phase every now & then, deciding that I need a Gibson Les Paul as I just love the sound of them. Only to then remember once I have one that I just don’t play them all that well and am much more suited to Fender guitars. Luckily my Telecaster Deluxe has the same pickup configuration as a Les Paul so I can get fairly near with it. And it’s black/black/maple!

Think I have equal GAS for basses and guitars ( oh yeah, and amps!). I think I have about the same amount of each. Must admit GAS levels have gradually decreased in recent years though, probably reached the mythical ‘Age of Enlightenment’ that someone warned me about a while ago. 😄

• Like 1

Anything - I have several guitars including 2x Ovation electro acoustics which came in trades, an Aria semi acoustic, a very nice HB Tele with Bigsby, a X-men Peavey (I'm a comic collector) and a half size guitar bought to convert to a bass before realising it would cost more than it's final value.

I've had numerous saxophones - but you need to play regularly to get the most from them - I don't. I have a Yamaha Venova Soprano which occasionally comes out, only to be put away before I annoy the neighbours.

I bought a tongue drum a while back - it sat on the living room table unplayed for a while before I put it away. Love the tone but the time spent learning to play it is better spent playing a bass.

TBH I'm not good with money and find any excuse to impulse buy.

Yup.

Epiphone Sheraton in Natural, 1996/97 ish.

Gibson Lucille in cherry

Taylor 410ce - should’ve bought that one.

Gibson Southern Jumbo - again a specific one.

Gibson J200 in Sunburst 

And a Yamaha c9 concert grand piano - heard one played by a fantastic pianist (guy called Adrian Lord - lovely bloke I worked with for a few years) and It was a magnificent sound. That’s lottery win territory. A neighbour has a C6 in their living room and she makes it sound wonderful.

Oh...and a harp...but a good one is thousands of pounds.

I blame @lawriemacmillan as much as anything. @Lozz196 and I went to one of his gigs - harp player in the band sounded amazing. Also I remember a Dub track from Glastonbury with drums/bass/ harp - blew my mind!!!

One of the dog walkers we walk with has a daughter who plays harp - one day I hope to jam with her.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

oh, i'd love a harp.  fortunately my taste leans more towards lever harps than pedal harps, but they're still rather pricey.  an Irish session i used to play at (back in the old times when we were allowed to leave the house) sometimes had a harp player turn up to play accompaniment and i loved the sound of it.  a couple of years back i almost bought one; i managed to resist the urge at the last minute, but it's still near the top of my things-i'd-buy-if-i-was-rich list.

aside from a harp, i'd also like to buy everything.   i've wanted a Koch flute replica by Martin Wenner ever since i first saw it.  a Noy flute with the engraved keywork wouldn't go amiss either.  and i'd like a Hammond organ of some sort.  and a decent set of Uilleann pipes.  a five-string fiddle would be handy (either electric or acoustic, i'm not sure - so maybe both).  and i've had my eye on a Gibson SG Tribute...

Les Pauls. Love ‘em. If I had the money I’d have dozens of them. Luckily (?) I haven’t, on both counts. Rickenbacker  381s. And pretty much any nice acoustic. Don’t get me started on twin-necks……or citterns. 😁

The only thing that worries me about retiring is that I may then have the time to learn keyboards. And that’s a rabbit hole I don’t even want to consider.😂

Edited by 4000

In 2018 while looking at the ipad , I saw the Moog Grandmother on you tube . . On Black Friday  of that year, I decided to purchase it.

This year, I have purchased a Moog DFAM plus Moog Minitaur.  I have been thinking of purchasing a Moog Sound Studio , but I don't need it thankfully . 
Moog have started making things not quite as expensive ( but still not cheap) ,but I don't think I need anything else.

The next step for me is to just have 2 basses ..1 fretted and one fretless. 

As  I'm getting more Iinto recording  bits for fun , I have too many apps . Some of which are expensive.

Must stop being too obsessive with things ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Had telecasters when I switched to guitar - loved my 72 custom and 72 thin line…lusted after a 52 reissue, but gave up 😂

I tried to react to this with a like but it keeps on putting a confused face!

4 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

I tried to react to this with a like but it keeps on putting a confused face!

I sold the 72 custom to a mate.

he left it on the back seat of a car and it got nicked…

knob.

the 72 thin line was sold on here - gutted I’ve no clue where it is.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Had telecasters when I switched to guitar - loved my 72 custom and 72 thin line…lusted after a 52 reissue, but gave up 😂

I always wanted a 50’s Tele, with a massive neck. When I realised it was never going to be I opted for a Baja model which is an amazing guitar for a fraction of the price. Can’t beat a good Tele.

This is a good question.

When bass guitar was my primary instrument I had manageable gas. 

When the double bass took over as my main instrument I was always saving and looking for a better bass, but every time I tried basses I decided to up my budget to get something appreciably better. This went on for several years and was driven by deliberate ignorance to the fact that my bass was not the limiting factor to my playing.

Now my primary instruments are woodwind and I can't ever afford to get "better" ones. I'm fully aware that the instruments I own are not the limiting factor. I just wish I could practice even more.

However, despite my bass only being used for composing, I'm always looking at what instruments are around that offer something different/better etc etc.

So, a drawn out way of saying, my bass guitar gas is perhaps greater now I practice and play the instrument less.

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I blame @lawriemacmillan as much as anything. @Lozz196 and I went to one of his gigs - harp player in the band sounded amazing. 

Hey!!! I remember, the gig in Bethnal Green where I flew straight from a concert in Poland and borrowed an acoustic bass from you guys :D Fiona Rutherford was the harpist. Sublime player 

• Like 1

Bass is my most recent instrument... it started with a Yamaha upright piano...Now there are alto, tenor and bass recorders; tenor and bass viols (viola da gamba); 2 cellos; soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone saxes; 4, 5, and 6 string basses....

The main non bass gear that I look at, and want, is drum stuff, but I've already got quite a lot (4 kits, 20 something snares, bags of cymbals), so don't really need any more.

Other than that, I mainly just want pedals and accessories now.