Why become a member? ×

Magnets! (Little ones)

benh

Thinking ahead, I'd like to secure the control plate in my ongoing build with magnets rather than screws. There are a few sources for small diameter neodymium magnets I've found, what diameter/thickness/strength magnets have others used successfully? 

(On a cheekier note, if anyone has some spare I would happily buy them from you, to save me having to order 50)

• Like 1

Hi @benh

I tend to use first4magnets

They let you buy 20 magnets for a number of the sizes and there are various pull strengths for many of them.

I vary depending on the need but for hatches, I tend to use 5mm dia .26kg pull for the body and 4mm .25kg for the hatch.  For trussrod covers I use 3mm for the headstock and 2mm for the hatch itself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hi @benh

I tend to use first4magnets

They let you buy 20 magnets for a number of the sizes and there are various pull strengths for many of them.

I vary depending on the need but for hatches, I tend to use 5mm dia .26kg pull for the body and 4mm .25kg for the hatch.  For trussrod covers I use 3mm for the headstock and 2mm for the hatch itself

Thanks Andy, that's exactly the info I needed! 20 magnets minimum isn't too bad either, I'm sure they'll come in for something.

4 hours ago, benh said:

Hope you don't mind me tagging you @Andyjr1515 @Jabba_the_gut @HazBeen @mhoss32 @spacecowboy- easier than sending separate PMs!

I get them local, so not of much use. Dimension wise, I always use 5mm x 2mm magnets, same size for cavity and hatch. Trussrod covers I use 2mmx1mm ones. The pull on my 5x2s is a little higher, 0.5kg. 

Edited by HazBeen
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

@benh Let me know if you'd like me to get some in the post to you? I got loads from work so they didn't cost me anything so I'm happy to pass some on for you to try? PM me your address!

Ah thanks @spacecowboy, I've already ordered a few sizes - but many thanks for your kind offer 🙂

15 minutes ago, Maude said:

If the cover is made from wood or plastic then it won't be magnetic. 

Not exactly what I was getting at. If you were going to attach magnets to the cover anyway,  it would "stick" to steel screws mounted flush with the body. My point is do you really need magnets on both bits? Why not magnets one side, magnetizable material on the other?

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
Additional waffle
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Not exactly what I was getting at. If you were going to attach magnets to the cover anyway,  it would "stick" to steel screws mounted flush with the body. My point is do you really need magnets on both bits? Why not magnets one side, magnetizable material on the other?

Ah, I see what you mean. 

Yes that would work, although not as strong as a pair of magnets. But easier to screw some self tappers in than recess for magnets I suppose.