Why become a member? ×

I'd like to sell most of my basses, but can't bring myself to do so

Sida79

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I now regret selling my WAL and twin neck Shergold (4 & 8 string).

I regret selling my double neck 6/12 ibanez, but that was also in the 80s and it was either that or getting kicked out of my house.

edit- it migh have been that that makes me regret selling other things that matter less.

• Like 1

I haven't regretted selling basses. There are some I sold for amounts that look crazy low now, but at the time it was right. In the last few months I've sold two: my MIJ Jazz and my 1984 Aria. The MIJ Jazz was the most beautiful jazz bass I've ever seen but something about it just didn't click with me so I sold it to a BC'er. The Aria was a restoration project that again just didn't quite click and I replaced it quite quickly before selling it to a BC'er for less than the amount I sank in to the restoration. I regret neither. I've got some cash in my pocket that I am yet to spend. But what this has done is made me play my MM Stingray a LOT more. And that is no bad thing. I'm quite happily shedding gear at the moment. I'm thinking less is more for me at the moment. It's nice to collect stuff but it's also fairly pointless.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ubit said:

Thats too sensible. I know I don't NEED the extra basses but I want them!

I know!!! I want so many.... But since buying a US made Stingray most others are just nice shapes and colours and don't have a comparable complexity of tone from the pickup or feel to the neck. I even tried a new US Jazz a few months back and just thought it was not up to much. I think I need GAS therapy!

I’m in the process of looking at selling stuff I rarely use, most of which I know I will regret probably sooner than later. Sad to say that getting older does make you think about how much you have in material possessions and in my case how that dosh could be better used to make life easier and less stressful. Subsequently have been having a check on what’s going and what’s staying, and whilst trying to go by the maxim Mrs CP uses when ‘refreshing’ her wardrobe ( if it hasn’t been worn in 12 months then it’s time to go...) it isn’t that easy with musical items. I have a few basses and guitars that have been with me for a long time, ( between 30 and 45 years!) that rarely see the light of day despite me still enjoying owning them, so what to do? Covid and it’s effect on my finances haven’t helped either.

Anyway, I’ve made a start with a bass that’s going to a new owner, so will see how I feel after that.

• Like 1

I find I can't have less than 6 basses. Perhaps it's because I have a 6 space rack and I feel like it's 'missing something' otherwise. 2 of them are long term not-to-be-solds, the others are generally transient but a couple have hit the 12 month mark which is unusual (most go in 3 months).

Of the 6 I have, I could definitely 'cope' with just 2, but I know I would like diversity of appearance, and start collecting them again. Also, for me part of the hobby is finding bargains I can try out for a bit and maybe make a few quid, or at least break even. However since buying a house in the last month, I can see my disposable income is already accounted for for the next few years.

• Like 1

I have 4 basses i feel are keepers. Others i could sell and not be too bothered.

The keepers :-

Overwater custom fretless 6er (50th from wife)

Warwick Thumb NT i bought new IN 89 with my wife (then my new girlfriend) was the first bass we bought together as a couple like a little pet. 😊

Geddy CIJ Jazz.

Sandberg VM4.

Over the years i have considered selling the Thumb bass as i very rarely play it these days but always back out at last minute.

Possible sellers :-

Fender PJ MIM

Overwater Contemp J4 (built by Overwater and not a Tanglewood build)

The new P bass i bought 2 weeks ago. I really quite like this bass but i just prefer the Jazz bass neck for faster playing.

If i had to keep just one bass it would probably be the Jazz CIJ...........or maybe the Sandberg..........plus the Overwater. 😂

Dave

I'm down to two non-keepers now -  a US Special Jazz I got in a swap for an Ibanez back in the summer and the Sandberg Panther special I bought on a whim.

Keeping the two MiM Jazz basses (Classic 60s cellulose finish & a recent Vintera 60s - essential the same bass) and the US Precision I've had since 2013. And that's it…….I hope!

When I left full-time employment in April 2016 at the age of 58, to concentrate on music, I think I had about 15 bass guitars plus 4 acoustics and a few Strats and Teles.  Not to mention drums, lots of guitar and bass amps and recording equipment.

I felt the need to sell gear back then so my US 75RI jazz, US fretless jazz and a US Fender Strat were duly sold.  Some valve amps went too.  I missed them all!

It was a kind of panic as I didn't know how my finances would go.  (I knew they would be dramatically reduced but I didn't know by how much.)

But after a couple of years I knew I could survive well enough and started to buy bass gear again.  Since the first lockdown I've bought a Fender flea jazz (a superb bass, MIM), a Jaguar PJ, another fretless jazz and other bits and pieces.

I enjoy owning good quality gear and I justify it by playing them in rotation or to suit the gig and console myself by the thought that I can always sell if I need the money.  I'm not good at selling gear. :)

Frank.