Why become a member? ×

Pleking with different gauge strings?

Tío

4 hours ago, Delberthot said:

So that probably means that most of us on the forum who change string tension/brand/roundwound/flatwound/tapewound with the weather are all screwed then and shouldn't bother 😀

I for one have never bought a bass and kept the same string gauge as was fitted. The closest I got was a bass fitted with EXL170 and I tend to use EXL165 when I'm using nickel roundwounds

No it just means you should adjust when you change, and definitely not have a Plek with the wrong strings fitted!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

The necks on my guitars and basses are stable enough to not change when changing strings. There's something to be said for having enough good wood in the neck's construction to hold the set-up, once done. Just sayin'. B|

The OP did specify strings of a different gauge, not just a routine like-for-like string change.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The necks on my guitars and basses are stable enough to not change when changing strings. There's something to be said for having enough good wood in the neck's construction to hold the set-up, once done. Just sayin'. B|

Some of mine never require adjustment, even when I restrung one of the E-C from B-G. Another one needs a tweak with the changing of the seasons (at least it did in my old house, things might be different now). Maybe the way forward is to go down the Vigier route and not have a truss rod at all. 

• Like 1