Why become a member? ×

Video/audio test - G&L SB1

ped

Hi folks

I've recorded this little video just to see if I am able to do it properly.

I wonder if anyone can help make it easier, because here's what I did:

- Press record on phone

- Press record in Garageband, with the backing track already imported

- Play along with backing track

- (and here's where it got hard)

- Export the audio file

- Open iMovie

- Open video and audio file

- Try to match them (still don't think it's perfect!)

- Export

My question - is there a better method for matching it all up? I know I should use a clapper board or similar but totally forgot... that would have helped me line things up I guess?

Anyway here you go - see what you think!!

27 minutes ago, ped said:

...Anyway here you go - see what you think!!...

It works fine. It's lined up fine. The sound balance is fine. Stop worrying; it's fine. OK, I'm not fond of 'funk' of the sort, but as a video of your playing along, it's fine. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Dad3353

Just now, Dad3353 said:

It works fine. It's lined up fine. The sound balance is fine. Stop worrying; it's fine. OK, I'm not fond of 'funk' of the sort, but as a video of your playing along, it's fine. :i-m_so_happy:

haha thanks, but it took me AGES to get it lined up, and think there MUST be an easier way!

I imported the video into Garageband actually (by accident) so maybe it's easier doing it all in one place. Not sure. How do other people do it?

6 hours ago, ped said:

haha thanks, but it took me AGES to get it lined up...

Well, you did mention that you hadn't thought of a 'clap'; that certainly helps..!

I record in Reaper, and process video with Shotcut, but I think they'll pretty much all much of a muchness at our amateur level. It can all be done in Reaper, but I'm used to my method now, and Shotcut (and others...) allow several video and audio tracks, plus titling et al. So I pop the video into Shotcut (with its audio...), add the audio track recorded with Reaper and line up the Reaper track to the video's audio. Takes all of thirty seconds if there's a drum beat in there somewhere, or a starting 'clap'..! I then mute or delete the video audio; done..! Any good..? :rWNVV2D:

Great, thanks. Yeah sounds fine, I’m just missing a clear ‘clap’ or other way to align things I suppose. I kind of assumed there’d be a way to simultaneously record video and the audio at the same time but it seems not (at least, using an external camera)?

5 hours ago, ped said:

...using an external camera)?

If the video camera doesn't have any audio track, then a visual clue would be needed, which is, indeed, the role of the clap-board used in studios. Any equivalent could serve the same purpose, but would have to be both visually remarkable and unmistakeable on the (separate...) audio track. Just clicking one's fingers won't 'cut it'. A simple 'clap-stick' would be ideal; a pair of squared-off wood sticks (15x2x1 cms) hinged at one end must be easy enough to cobble up. Have 'em nicely in the field of camera vision, snap 'em together and drop 'em to the floor, then start playing. Remove the clap while editing: job done..! B| 

• Like 1

Ok great, sounds fine. The camera does have audio but I’m playing into my computer so there’s no bass sound but I could say something to help line things up, didnt think of that! I’ll give it a go